• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Many are educated to levels 4 and 5, but we need truck drivers!

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Now you are just being deliberately dense.
Now you are just deliberately evading. I know why. You cannot answer a simple question. But surely you can come up with a better excuse than passing your failure off on others.

You made the statement. Surely, you are not just peeing vacuously into the wind.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing wrong with education, the difficulty comes when there are not enough people with practical skills. In the UK there have been warnings about empty supermarket shelves due to the shortage of HGV drivers.
As I understand it, labor shortages are often the footprint for poor wages. Some of these jobs turn out to be far more essential than was thought.

I think the post I was answering to was just listing ideological talking points without any substance.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Studying psychology, but who knows, if the UK is paying HR drivers enough, I might come over for a bit.

Bus companies here have had a hard time, too, but mostly from mismanagement more than the virus, per se. A lot of our public transport is government subsidised, so companies with those contracts survive, and a lot of the fully private companies live on school work, which has largely been unaffected since last year.
If you come over here, then we must meet up. :D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
TRUCK DRIVER SHORTAGE IN US + CANADA
Statistics show that there is a shortage of truck drivers in the year 2019.

Currently, Canada reports being short around 25,000 truck drivers while the US reports a whopping shortage of around 60,000 drivers.

The Truck Driver Shortage in 2020 - The Dirty Truth No One Talks About

This is predicted to increase over the coming years.

Trucking Industry Struggles With Growing Driver Shortage

So it's the same kind of situation where you are.
A good chance for truckers to gain a better living on more friendly runs, maybe?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Same problem in the USA, too many over-educated people, not enough blue collars, that actually build houses and drive trucks and keep the economy moving.
You said it.
The thing is, a qualified licensed tradesperson can earn a very high income.
And folks who erect fences, lay roofing tiles and plaster walls earn very good money as well.
And vehicle mechanics are very highly skilled now, working with micro-processors as well as engines.

And these people don't have to repay tens of thousands to universities, etc.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Now you are just deliberately evading. I know why. You cannot answer a simple question. But surely you can come up with a better excuse than passing your failure off on others.

You made the statement. Surely, you are not just peeing vacuously into the wind.
Failure? What are you even talking about now?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
As I understand it, labor shortages are often the footprint for poor wages. Some of these jobs turn out to be far more essential than was thought.

I think the post I was answering to was just listing ideological talking points without any substance.
Actually there's excellent wages to be made at many manual trades. It seems to be that a lot of younger people don't want to do that manual labor, however. But don't worry. Those liberal art degrees will get you an excellent job in the fast food industry!

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
You said it.
The thing is, a qualified licensed tradesperson can earn a very high income.
And folks who erect fences, lay roofing tiles and plaster walls earn very good money as well.
And vehicle mechanics are very highly skilled now, working with micro-processors as well as engines.

And these people don't have to repay tens of thousands to universities, etc.

Have you ever worked as a tradesperson, or in the building trade? I have, and it's bloody hard work. A lot of people are physically shot by the time they're 50.
Again, you're romanticising jobs which you know little about. It's actually rather patronising.

As for your naieve optimism on the UK truck driver shortage, maybe you could explain this:
UK lorry drivers plan to strike over low pay and poor working conditions

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Have you ever worked as a tradesperson, or in the building trade? I have, and it's bloody hard work. A lot of people are physically shot by the time they're 50.
Again, you're romanticising jobs which you know little about. It's actually rather patronising.

Building Trade? I knew the building trade.
You can rubbish these jobs as hard as you like, but your negatives wash off me, ok?

You don't have a clue about the jobs that I know about, or not. Promoting trades and everyday jobs is not patronising anybody, Meerkat, and I'm sad you seem so intent on trying to rubbish them.

If you don't like the thread..... leave it.

Martin

Building Trade? I knew the building trade.
You can rubbish these jobs as hard as you like, but your negatives wash off me, ok?

You don't have a clue about the jobs that I know about, or not. Promoting trades and everyday jobs is not patronising anybody, Meerkat, and I'm sad you seem so intent on trying to rubbish them.

If you don't like the thread..... leave it.

Again with the strawman. I'm not rubbishing anything, rather I'm telling it how it is. I'm suggesting that your grand pronouncements have no basis in experience, and little basis in reality.

But by all means show me I'm wrong.

What truck driving experience do you have?
(Me: multi-drop truck driving in London, and regular runs to Tilbury Docks to drop off large crates for sbipping).

What experience of being a tradesperson do you have?
(Me: electrician).

What experience of the building trade do you have?
(Me: roofing, scaffolding, carpentry, plumbing, ground-works, drainage, block-laying, plastering, etc).

And how do explain the Guardian article about lorry drivers threatening to strike over poor pay and conditions?
It completely contradicts your romanticised portrayal of the transport industry, and your claim that people are "queueing up" for these jobs.

Anyway, if you can't bear to be disagreed with, you can always put me on "ignore".

Last edited:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Actually there's excellent wages to be made at many manual trades. It seems to be that a lot of younger people don't want to do that manual labor, however. But don't worry. Those liberal art degrees will get you an excellent job in the fast food industry!
You're still far less likely to be unemployed with a college degree than with lower tier education (or, worse, as a school dropout).

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
You're still far less likely to be unemployed with a college degree than with lower tier education (or, worse, as a school dropout).
That would depend on the degree and if you have learned a skilled trade. Carpenters and welders and mechanics and electricians are in demand.

Martin

Just any old college degree isn't going to get you a good jog. But someone has to work at Mcdonald's. Of course, then, what did they go in dept for?

Possibly it's a status thing? Or people telling them they'll (eventually) earn more money.

Martin

That would depend on the degree and if you have learned a skilled trade. Carpenters and welders and mechanics and electricians are in demand.

Demand for roles like this does fluctuate quite a lot over time. But having a skilled trade is certainly useful.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Again with the strawman.
I don't think you know what the strawman fallacy is.

I'm not rubbishing anything, But by all means show me I'm wrong.
That's easy. You've put down almost job mentioned here in one way or another.
That's not only a very bigoted viewpoint, but very unhealthy.

You've been a trucker, roofing, scaffolding, carpentry, plumbing, ground-works, drainage, block-laying, plastering, eh? Jack of all, master of none?
Trying to convince us of your deep knowledge with such a list shows that you have no deep knowledge at all.
All of those jobs can provide very good livings, very good indeed. Just because you didn't do very well in them just says something about you.

You're 'you don't know how bad it is, I do' argument is sad, pathetic, Meerkat.

What you need to understand is that over half the people in the USA and UK have Intelligence quotients under 100, but they have other strengths and abilities. Our employment services and gurus need to focus upon how well a person in the lower IQ ranges can do for themselves, how well they can live, how successful they can be.

Career, academia and IQ bigotry is disgusting, and a disgrace, and people who disparage any jobs are not doing any kind of service at all.

Martin

I don't think you know what the strawman fallacy is.

That's easy. You've put down almost job mentioned here in one way or another.
That's not only a very bigoted viewpoint, but very unhealthy.

You've been a trucker, roofing, scaffolding, carpentry, plumbing, ground-works, drainage, block-laying, plastering, eh? Jack of all, master of none?
Trying to convince us of your deep knowledge with such a list shows that you have no deep knowledge at all.
All of those jobs can provide very good livings, very good indeed. Just because you didn't do very well in them just says something about you.

You're 'you don't know how bad it is, I do' argument is sad, pathetic, Meerkat.

What you need to understand is that over half the people in the USA and UK have Intelligence quotients under 100, but they have other strengths and abilities. Our employment services and gurus need to focus upon how well a person in the lower IQ ranges can do for themselves, how well they can live, how successful they can be.

Career, academia and IQ bigotry is disgusting, and a disgrace, and people who disparage any jobs are not doing any kind of service at all.

I take it that from this that you don't have any first hand experience in the transport industry or building trade, and clearly you have no response to the reality of lorry drivers considering strike action.
It's just more bluster, with little basis in experience or reality.

I agree there should be more emphasis on vocational training and skills, but that's a different matter. And for the umpteenth time, I'm not disparaging anything, quite the opposite.