• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mantras without initiation?

Cypress

Dragon Mom
When one wants to chant a mantra one needs initiation first, otherwise it's useless, the mantra is just words.
I find that it is impossible to find a genuine Guru nowadays who could choose a mantra for me and give me initiation, especially since I have no oportunity of flying to India.
And even if I had, how to find a genuine Guru amongst all the fakers?
So my question is: Are there mantras that are free to all, without need for initiation?

Onkara

I understand that the Gayatri Mantra is universal.

Personally I refute the idea that a Guru is required to give permission today.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
There are gurus in other countries, you know. ^_^

AUM Namah Sivaya

AUM Namo Narayanaya

AUM Gam Ganapataye Namaha

AUM Sri Ganeshaya Namaha

AUM Bhur Bhuvah Svah
Tat Savitur Varenyam
Bhargo Devasya Dhimahi
Dhiyo yo nah Prachodayat
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Onkara

The Gayatri Mantra universal?
Isn't this the brahmanical mantra per se, to be recited only by male twice-born?

You might be right and I could be wrong :(
If wikipedia is anything to go on, apparantely Ramakrishna saw no limitations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayatri_Mantra#Hindu_revivalism

May I ask, why do you see a limitation or a barrier? What enforces that a person of no or low caste or female gender cannot recite a mantra? Do we negate one part of our religion by doing so?

Andal

resident hypnotist
Gaining initiation in a mantra will infuse it with more power in your practice...or so I've heard. In terms of the Gayatri, I don't recite it because I always thought that that was one you had to have initiation for. I use the Vishnu Gayatri instead. I could be wrong though.

Other mantras like the ones Riverwolf listed, you don't need initiation for. You also don't need it for the Mahamantra.

In terms of finding the guru. I was always told that it is the guru who finds you when the time is right. So create the circumstances to encounter such a holy person by doing good deeds, living a wholesome life, and pray that you may encounter him or her.

Aum Hari Aum!

Cypress

Dragon Mom
You might be right and I could be wrong :(
If wikipedia is anything to go on, apparantely Ramakrishna saw no limitations:

Gayatri Mantra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you very much for the link, that's interesting and good to know.

May I ask, why do you see a limitation or a barrier? What enforces that a person of no or low caste or female gender cannot recite a mantra? Do we negate one part of our religion by doing so?
I do not see limitation, I just thought the Hindus had these rules.

Satsangi

Hi,

Here is my take. The Mantras can be chanted without initiation, but will not produce the same effect. Initiation from a Siddha Guru "opens" you to the vibrations of the Mantra and hence the effect is more rapid and more profound.

Regards,

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree with Satsangi, in that the mantras given to you by guru are explained with meaning, instructions on how to chant, and blessing. But you can chant any mantra and gain benefit. You can use any mantra during meditation, and you can chant any mantra as worship. Especially in worship, it is good to know the meaning and put feeling into the words you utter. What is most important with devotional worship is to actually be devotional. In meditation, it is equally important to know the meaning of the words or syllables- in some cases the meaning is the focus.

There are so many mantras. What kind are you looking for? Do you wish for a meditation-appropriate mantra, a song of praise ordevotion, and to which form/aspect of God?

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
I find that it is impossible to find a genuine Guru nowadays who could choose a mantra for me and give me initiation, especially since I have no oportunity of flying to India. And even if I had, how to find a genuine Guru amongst all the fakers?
The idea that a guru would find us when we are ready (or we will find one in serendipitous circumstances) is more like it. Our "searching for a genuine guru" would be trying to foist our pre-spiritual concepts onto a guru. We are in such a situation likely to miss the guru.

Cypress

Dragon Mom
There are so many mantras. What kind are you looking for? Do you wish for a meditation-appropriate mantra, a song of praise ordevotion, and to which form/aspect of God?
I am looking for a Devi Mantra.
Recently I came accross this site, do you possibly know the correct pronunciation of Sarvambikesha?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I am looking for a Devi Mantra.
Recently I came accross this site, do you possibly know the correct pronunciation of Sarvambikesha?

Yes. The 'a' is always pronouned like in 'car' and the 'i' is like 'ee' sound rather than 'eye' sound. The rest is just how you read it.

Cypress

Dragon Mom
sarva: s like in sound, v like in why ?
kesha: k like in cup, e like in end ? s like in sound or in shame?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
You can pronounce 'v' like violet. 'sh' as in shame. Just like English.

Onkara

Hi Cypress
This site might be useful, You can read the lyrics and hear an example. the audio clips start playing straight away by the way! There are lots on youtube too.
Mantras : psychically potent sound syllables or mantras

Thanks for answering my early question. I am of the opinion that the only limitation is spiritual ignorance, once removed with knowledge all is then grace.

Wannabe Yogi

And even if I had, how to find a genuine Guru amongst all the fakers??

There are many fakers. I would say spend a lot of time with anybody you might want to be your teacher. Watch them to see if they are a true sadhu. Do they have a strong life of sadhana. Ask your self do they live in a way that represents your highest ideals and values.

So my question is: Are there mantras that are free to all, without need for initiation?

My tradition believes that all mantras are free to all. Yet some are very complex and are hard to pronounce and understand. It would be good to ask some one who is advanced what they mean.