• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mansplaining Hotline Now Up & Running!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
After the raucous election, we need something to distract us.

In the news.....
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...ort-patronising-male-colleagues-a7418491.html
Swedish women get hotline to report mansplaining
Mansplaining is when 'a man explains something to a woman without being asked, particularly something which she might already know more about than him'

When left unchecked, mansplaining can contribute to men earning more than women, and being promoted faster, the organisation said – “something most of us, regardless of sex, think is unfair and want to change”.

The hotline will advise upset and frustrated callers on what action they should take next, and aims to help them move on. But there are no set answers, instead the people staffing the line will have the freedom to say what they want, based on their own experiences.

I particularly liked....
"Mansplaining is maneuvering, tricks and suppression techniques designed to put women in their place and thereby consolidate or restore a privileged position.”
Looks like all my nefarious motives are fully diagnosed!

How stupid.

Yes dear. Perhaps you haven't really understood the theory behind all of this though.

Really you have to look at the bigger picture before rushing to conclusions like you have done. Just be less emotional about it and try to understand the broader thought patterns at play here.

If you still find it difficult then just let me know and I'll try to put it in more simple terms, ok?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes dear. Perhaps you haven't really understood the theory behind all of this though.

Really you have to look at the bigger picture before rushing to conclusions like you have done. Just be less emotional about it and try to understand the broader thought patterns at play here.

If you still find it difficult then just let me know and I'll try to put it in more simple terms, ok?
Everyone can talk like this though, it's not limited to men. It's also really childish to become irritated over it. Just tell the person to stop it, straightforward. It's not difficult. Or are we supposed to treat everyone like they are emotions first, logic second? Ridiculous. These children need to grow up.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It just seems to me like an issue of silly women and feminised men becoming upset over being given straight answers. Men are, imo, more forward and logical in their answers. This, however, is disliked in a world full of emotional, special snowflakes who like the comfortable, feminised, emotionally do-able answer. I'm often called aggressive because of my verbal no-nonsense. Oh well.

Everyone can talk like this though, it's not limited to men. It's also really childish to become irritated over it. Just tell the person to stop it, straightforward. It's not difficult. Or are we supposed to treat everyone like they are emotions first, logic second? Ridiculous. These children need to grow up.

*was a joke*

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The hotline sounds like a decent idea to me. It's not like the hotline is there to legally restrict people or something; it's just there for advice.

More power to those who came up with the idea. I think it would be good if more places followed suit.

The hotline sounds like a decent idea to me. It's not like the hotline is there to legally restrict people or something; it's just there for advice.

More power to those who came up with the idea. I think it would be good if more places followed suit.

Would the advice not just always be 'politely ask the man to stop patronising you' though?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Is there a term for a woman explaining something to a man that he may already know about?

I suppose we'll find out if a woman ever tells a man something he doesn't already know.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Would the advice not just always be 'politely ask the man to stop patronising you' though?

I think the advice would probably vary depending on the kind and context of patronization. I imagine that advice for patronization from a boss at work, for example, would most likely be different from, say, advice for patronization from a colleague of equal rank. Hopefully the hotline would be prepared to deal with different situations to actually benefit women who use it to seek advice.

Flame

Beware
So would it be considered womansplaining if a woman does it? Because this is starting to look eerily like what a few of my coworkers do.

A Womanplaining Hotline number is needed!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So would it be considered womansplaining if a woman does it? Because this is starting to look eerily like what a few of my coworkers do.

A Womanplaining Hotline number is needed!
It would be fair to have a corresponding hotline.
But the problem is that no man would care enuf to use it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It would be fair to have a corresponding hotline.
But the problem is that no man would care enuf to use it.
I Would!
When somebody gives me another long update on the domestic/work drama of someone I don't care about I want an official recognition that I am a victim. A hotline would be a start.

When I cut her off in the middle of the first episode with, "I never liked those people. I would rather not know what her boyfriend said because I don't like any of them."
And now I am hearing about it for the severalth time. Where is the hotline for that?
Tom