• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mandela Effect: Richard Simmons Lost His Headband

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Personally I do seem to remember a headband. However, me saying this is not an indication which way I will choose to believe regarding the Mandela Effect as I simply don't know yet.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Personally I do seem to remember a headband. However, me saying this is not an indication which way I will choose to believe regarding the Mandela Effect as I simply don't know yet.
I mostly just remember the dancing exercise thing, oldies, and his hair. But it has been probably nearly 30 years since I've watched any of his videos or have heard anything more than a rare mention of him.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Screenshot_20201019-012640~3.png

What is the Mandela Effect - Berenstein Bears vs Berenstain Bears Theory

HonestJoe

However we believe that a very few things are in a different class like the Berenstein Bears becoming the Berenstain Bears..
Except there is evidence of both forms of the name being used in different times and places; This Crazy 'The Berenstein Bears' Conspiracy Theory Will Blow Your Mind - Berenstain Bears Mandela Effect

And we understand why non-believers would find this hard to swallow.
Non-believers in what exactly? You mentioned the well known phenomena of flawed human memory but you've not offered any kind of alternative hypothesis.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I was sure that I lived in a world where people understood the unreliability of memory but this shows that they don't. Mind blown.

Also the Mandela Effect was previously called the Bonjela Effect but only I recall that it seems.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Many people here are familiar by now with the Mandela Effect claim.

I got a new one that blows my mind. Many of us remember the fitness icon Richard Simmons. I remember the corny short shorts, tank top, headband, effeminate mannerisms and frizzy hair.

Well apparently the headband was never a thing. I say there was frequently a headband as part of his iconic image. Many agree with me and this is one more Mandela Effect controversy. I even read where one of his TV shows exercise on-air people is certain of the headband.

th

What do you recall?
I think I saw him with a headband at times. Not at other times.

Oh wait a minute..now that I think about it... it was actually a turkey outfit.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I was sure that I lived in a world where people understood the unreliability of memory but this shows that they don't. Mind blown.

Also the Mandela Effect was previously called the Bonjela Effect but only I recall that it seems.
Its one of my favorite mind quirks.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Except there is evidence of both forms of the name being used in different times and places; This Crazy 'The Berenstein Bears' Conspiracy Theory Will Blow Your Mind - Berenstain Bears Mandela Effect
I am saying I have memories of Berenstein being on the official books that I hold were not just me and millions of others misremembering.
Non-believers in what exactly? You mentioned the well known phenomena of flawed human memory but you've not offered any kind of alternative hypothesis.
Non-believers that the Mandela Effect involves something contrary to our straightforward understanding of reality.

That is question #1. Can the Mandela Effect be explained in our straightforward understanding of reality (as just being memory errors would fit fine in our normal understanding of reality).

For the believers, question #2 becomes what could be the explanation. It is even logically OK to say I believe in the Mandela Effect but I don't know the explanation. As with paranormal things, observation of the strange can precede its scientific understanding. I personally have what I call nothing more than a theory; That people who are ready are being shown by non-human intelligences that reality is not this hard-fixed physically created thing we assume it to be. We actually live in a consciousness created reality.

But back onto this thread. Do you remember Richard Simmons wearing a headband as part of his iconic get-up? (Although I don't know how well known Richard Simmons is outside of the United States).

HonestJoe

I am saying I have memories of Berenstein being on the official books that I hold were not just me and millions of others misremembering.
You're free to say whatever you want but you could still be wrong and in this specific example, that fact both forms of the name have been used on official materials appears to render that more likely.

Non-believers that the Mandela Effect involves something contrary to our straightforward understanding of reality.
I don't think you can define a group of "non-believers" without a specifically defined thing for them not to believe. There are all sorts of different weird and wonderful ideas for what could cause the Mandela Effect and I suspect you don't believe most of them.

But back onto this thread. Do you remember Richard Simmons wearing a headband as part of his iconic get-up? (Although I don't know how well known Richard Simmons is outside of the United States).
I wasn't especially familiar with him so don't have any personal recollection. A brief search for images suggests he didn't wear them in his prime but many contemporary costumes and parodies did include them (probably because it's general association with exercise, as an exaggeration of the image or because it helps hold on a cheap wig :cool: ). There are more recent images of him where is does have a headband so I suggest the parody over whelmed reality and he later bought in to that. I'd suspect that could have been aided by a lot of the people remembering him not seeing much of his actual shows but actually seeing a lot of the parodies.

George-ananda

Premium Member
You're free to say whatever you want but you could still be wrong and in this specific example, that fact both forms of the name have been used on official materials appears to render that more likely.
All official books, TV Shows, etcetera only have one spelling. You might be able to find third party stuff with different and misspellings. The picture in the article is from some Random House Video Collection company or something.
I don't think you can define a group of "non-believers" without a specifically defined thing for them not to believe. There are all sorts of different weird and wonderful ideas for what could cause the Mandela Effect and I suspect you don't believe most of them.
Question #1 is; Does our understanding of reality need to be expanded to explain the Mandela Effect? Believers say 'Yes' and non-believers say 'No'. Pretty similar to whether reality needs to be expanded to explain 'ghosts' for example. There are 'believers' and 'non-believers'.
I wasn't especially familiar with him so don't have any personal recollection. A brief search for images suggests he didn't wear them in his prime but many contemporary costumes and parodies did include them (probably because it's general association with exercise, as an exaggeration of the image or because it helps hold on a cheap wig :cool: ). There are more recent images of him where is does have a headband so I suggest the parody over whelmed reality and he later bought in to that. I'd suspect that could have been aided by a lot of the people remembering him not seeing much of his actual shows but actually seeing a lot of the parodies.
Can you find a picture of him wearing a headband? I can't. (make sure what you find is not someone dressed in a parody costume.

For many Americans of my generation the headband was part and parcel of his iconic image parcel. Hence it was always part of his Halloween costumes and parodies. Kind of strains credulity that the costumes would include something he never wore. You wouldn't sell a Superman costume without a cape or without the 'S' symbol on the chest nor a Richard Simmons costume without shorts, tank top and sweatband.

George-ananda

Premium Member
More impressive evidence found for this Mandela Effect. Link

#2: Poshei Mens Headband
best.jpg
Best Headbands for Sweat
You don’t have to worry about looking like Richard Simmons when you’re wearing a headband because Poshei Men’s Headbands are designed to make you look cool and not a throwback to the 80s. This headband is made of 95% polyester and 5% spandex which makes it stretchable, breathable, and gives the headband moisture-wicking capabilities. It’s thin and lightweight; you can easily wear it under a helmet if needed. It fits well (not too tight) and stays in place, no matter how much you move around. Plus, it can even keep your ears warm if needed. As an added bonus, you get four different colored headbands in one pack at a very affordable price. However, you’ll need to wring out the sweat if you plan on working out for more than 45 minutes. In addition, this headband is hand wash only.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Found another impressive example of my point:

The Best Workout Headbands For Serious Sweating
CORY STIEG
LAST UPDATED SEPTEMBER 10, 2018, 12:55 PM
9958835.jpg

If you're someone whose hairline tends to get drenched with sweat during workouts, then wearing a headband is kind of a must. But the issue is that many "sweatbands" make you look like Richard Simmons or Michael Cera's character in Juno, and that's not always the vibe you're going for at the gym or in a workout class.

You could just wear a regular headband while you exercise, but those tend to fall off or get kind of gross after a few workouts. So, when it comes to working out, you need a headband that can wick away sweat, keep your hair off your face, and stay in place during rigorous movements.

George-ananda

Premium Member
More residue from just one Bing search:

Residue timely now with a Halloween Theme

Hilarious Fitness-Themed Halloween Costumes | The ...
Hilarious Fitness-Themed Halloween Costumes | The Beachbody Blog...
Oct 20, 2017 · Richard Simmons or Jane Fonda These two fitness icons have been Halloween staples for years. To dress as a convincing Richard Simmons, grab a tank top, very short shorts, high socks, a curly wig, and a headband. For Jane Fonda, it’s all about the leotard, tights, leg warmers, and a feathered or permed brunette wig.

More internet search residue

Sequin Headband - Mardi Gras Costume Shop
Mardi Gras Costume Shop | Costumes for Rent and for Sale in Scottsdale...
From 20's Flapper to 70's Disco to 80's Exercise Guru Richard Simmons, these sequin headbands are just the thing. Sequins on an elastic base to fit any head size. 2 …