• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mandela Effect Moves South America East

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
She was always Sally Field. Her name gets misremembered because Fields is a much more common surname than Field.

Are you going to now assume that every time you misremembered something, that you're actually accurately remembering an alternate universe?

"No, my keys really were in my pocket! I just jumped into a universe where they're in my other pants!"

"I didn't forget to pick up milk and bread on the way home! You asked me to do that in a different universe!"

:rolleyes:
Nope, I am a not that radical. I remember Sally Fields from her days in my childhood in 'The Flying Nun' TV show. However, my certainty is not strong enough to call ME on this one. Although I am suspicious.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Nope, I am a not that radical. I remember Sally Fields from her days in my childhood in 'The Flying Nun' TV show. However, my certainty is not strong enough to call ME on this one. Although I am suspicious.
I find it interesting that there's one common thread in your examples: lots and lots of people would be affected - even to the point of coming in or out of existence - but never you.

Why is it that you think that the world - and all the people in it - might be changing around you, but none of the "Mandela effect" examples you've given involve you being changed as the universe revolves around someone else?

You're apparently open to the idea that entire cultures and language groups could be have appeared or disappeared within your lifetime without the people involved noticing (as in your South America example), or someone having a different name in the past without realizing it (as in your Sally Field example), or someone having not noticed that he died in prison.

So how have you changed without you realizing it? Your examples all assume that your memories are based on real events while other people change around you; how do you think you might have changed?

George-ananda

Premium Member
Yes, I do.

(Though this is just because we were in different parallel universes, right?)
No, on the Sally Fields name I do not have a strong enough certainty to say that. I'll leave it with a shrug and a question mark over my head and move on.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I find it interesting that there's one common thread in your examples: lots and lots of people would be affected - even to the point of coming in or out of existence - but never you.

Why is it that you think that the world - and all the people in it - might be changing around you, but none of the "Mandela effect" examples you've given involve you being changed as the universe revolves around someone else?

You're apparently open to the idea that entire cultures and language groups could be have appeared or disappeared within your lifetime without the people involved noticing (as in your South America example), or someone having a different name in the past without realizing it (as in your Sally Field example), or someone having not noticed that he died in prison.

So how have you changed without you realizing it? Your examples all assume that your memories are based on real events while other people change around you; how do you think you might have changed?
One theory is that our real self (souls) experience multiple ourselves on different alternate realities. Since some high-end physical experiments have been done, there is a bleed through of accurate memories from a timeline that is not this one.

How this works in reality would be miles over my head. The starting point is a judgment call on the likelihood of all this being just memory errors (simple theory) or something exotic. As I questioned earlier, I think for each of us there would be a tipping point between leaning from the default (simple) explanation to the exotic explanation. I am now leaning to the exotic explanation based on what I experienced and what other people have experienced and said about this phenomena.

I do not remember Mandela dying in jail myself. But if the Mandela Effect occurs and these are accurate memories, then Mandela's soul would have experienced both dying in jail AND surviving jail and leading his country.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
How many here are familiar with this controversy called the Mandela Effect?

Now this requires thinking beyond our normal conception of one reality and one linear timeline. I was initially intrigued by the Berenstein vs. Bernstain Bears controversy.

Today I was sitting on my armchair gazing at my globe in the distance and I noticed South America is way too far eastward from where I always knew it to be. I live in Detroit and the entire continent of South America is now east of me. I just feel strongly that this was not the case from my childhood memories (I have always liked globes and maps).

View attachment 17719

I would swear as a child it looked more like A than B. There are many having the same experience on this and other issues as me. What was your memories of South America? Enough people like me remember the 'A' version that this is a controversy.

Certainly the simplest explanation is just many people are having the same memory errors, the unreliability of memories, etc.. I agree that this is a possible answer for you Occam's Razors out there.

Alternate explanations includes one that says we experience on multiple timelines and in one timeline different earth events moved South America further east than in another timeline. As there is a version of us in multiple timelines our memories can get crossed over and we remember things from one timeline while in another timeline. It's a mystery and don't expect me to have all the answers.

This is not the old George-Ananda's last slip from reality BUT is really now a major internet topic.

What do you guys think of the Mandela Effect, South America and the other argued examples of the Mandela Effect?

As far as the maps go this a problem of projecting continents from a round global perspective to a flat map. Look at an actual accurate globe to see how the contenents and oceans proportionally fit on the globe.

George-ananda

Premium Member
As far as the maps go this a problem of projecting continents from a round global perspective to a flat map. Look at an actual accurate globe to see how the contenents and oceans proportionally fit on the globe.
Oh no, I am rather aware of all that. I am saying the differences are in globe to globe comparison. That allows for no simple explanation and questions the nature of reality and what is the ‘past’.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Oh no, I am rather aware of all that. I am saying the differences are in globe to globe comparison. That allows for no simple explanation and questions the nature of reality and what is the ‘past’.
... if one is disinclined to consider the nature of memory and suggestibility.

George-ananda

Premium Member
... if one is disinclined to consider the nature of memory and suggestibility.
I am very inclined to consider that theory and do believe I have normal memory inaccuracies like everyone else all the time.

The Mandela Effect is saying something is different and real about certain memories. This is a serious subject and I would suggest one acquaints oneself with the facts and argumentation before making a snap judgment.

Reddit has a good discussion group on the subject.

Perhaps reality is thought created and not physically created???

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

All geographically accurate globes would be the same. On the surface what you showed were two different map projections on the flat.

Audie

Veteran Member

Is there a "hilarious" icon?

George-ananda

Premium Member
All geographically accurate globes would be the same. On the surface what you showed were two different map projections on the flat.
I know. That's because it's hard to paste a three-dimensional object into a post. But my memories are comparing globe to globe which theoretically should be the same, but aren't for me and many others in this case. That's the mystery.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I know. That's because it's hard to paste a three-dimensional object into a post. But my memories are comparing globe to globe which theoretically should be the same, but aren't for me and many others in this case. That's the mystery.

No mystery just flawed memories.

George-ananda

Premium Member
No mystery just flawed memories.
How do you know that?

Seriously though, you sell me short if you don't think I didn't consider that explanation first and found it wanting. Certainly normal flawed recall does occur all the time. You might want to research the Mandela effect further (or not).

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
How do you know that?

Seriously though, you sell me short if you don't think I didn't consider that explanation first and found it wanting. Certainly normal flawed recall does occur all the time. You might want to research the Mandela effect further (or not).

i have.

ecco

Veteran Member
Today I was sitting on my armchair gazing at my globe in the distance and I noticed South America is way too far eastward from where I always knew it to be. I live in Detroit and the entire continent of South America is now east of me. I just feel strongly that this was not the case from my childhood memories

Rio was founded in 1565 by the Portuguese as a fortification against French...
Its coordinates are 22.9068° S, 43.1729° W

Do you have anything that shows its longitude was different when you were a kid or when it was founded in 1565?

Your A map, although hard to read, is completely wrong for Central America. Where did you get it?

George-ananda

Premium Member
Rio was founded in 1565 by the Portuguese as a fortification against French...
Its coordinates are 22.9068° S, 43.1729° W

Do you have anything that shows its longitude was different when you were a kid or when it was founded in 1565?

Your A map, although hard to read, is completely wrong for Central America. Where did you get it?
The Mandela Effect challenges our normal view of reality.

I am actually not denying that your coordinate information is correct.

What I and many others are saying is that when I studied a globe as a kid it looked more like 'A' than 'B'. I would assume you are thinking that I just remembered it wrong. And I am saying my memories are valid and yes that defies our normal understanding of how reality works.

For example do you remember the Berenstein Bears? Well it's Berenstain Bears now.

Anyway I got personally convinced of the Flintstones/Flinstones when I was a skeptic of that flip/flop.

On Aug 2, 2017 at about 16:40 EST, I was on reddit discussing the Flinstones/Flintstones flip on another thread. My position was that it is and always was the Flintstones. The guy sent me a reply saying at the time it was the Flinstones you could look at Wikipedia, and all official TV show and vitamin sites and it was always Flintstones; he used the word Flintstones in all four examples given.

I said 'I Know' you are confirming my point that it was always Flintstones.

Then when I was done with my reply and I looked up at his original post and all four 'Flintstones' had changed on my static display to 'Flinstones'. Did I just see it wrong?? I looked away and came back and it was 'Flintstones' again. I would just look away, blink, change my focus looked back and it would flip again. I was able to do this 6 or 7 times in under five minutes each time looking slowly and cautiously for this controversial 't' IN ALL FOUR PLACES. Essentially impossible to me that I made a mistake slowly and cautiously each time. I felt something was trying to wake me up.