• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mandela Effect Moves South America East

How many here are familiar with this controversy called the Mandela Effect?

Now this requires thinking beyond our normal conception of one reality and one linear timeline. I was initially intrigued by the Berenstein vs. Bernstain Bears controversy.

Today I was sitting on my armchair gazing at my globe in the distance and I noticed South America is way too far eastward from where I always knew it to be. I live in Detroit and the entire continent of South America is now east of me. I just feel strongly that this was not the case from my childhood memories (I have always liked globes and maps).

View attachment 17719

I would swear as a child it looked more like A than B. There are many having the same experience on this and other issues as me. What was your memories of South America? Enough people like me remember the 'A' version that this is a controversy.

Certainly the simplest explanation is just many people are having the same memory errors, the unreliability of memories, etc.. I agree that this is a possible answer for you Occam's Razors out there.

Alternate explanations includes one that says we experience on multiple timelines and in one timeline different earth events moved South America further east than in another timeline. As there is a version of us in multiple timelines our memories can get crossed over and we remember things from one timeline while in another timeline. It's a mystery and don't expect me to have all the answers.

This is not the old George-Ananda's last slip from reality BUT is really now a major internet topic.

What do you guys think of the Mandela Effect, South America and the other argued examples of the Mandela Effect?
I generally just skip your conspiracy theory/ new age clap trap posts, but as the other 1% hasn't manifested in a while, I guess this will do.

No, but seriously, I've always found this one a bit interesting, simply because there's one that sticks in my craw and I haven't figured it out yet.

A distinct memory of myself as a small boy asking my mom if you pronounce it barenSTEEN or barenSTINE. I was reading at age 3, and I would have been 7 or 8 at the time.

Barenstain. Wtf.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I generally just skip your conspiracy theory/ new age clap trap posts, but as the other 1% hasn't manifested in a while, I guess this will do.

No, but seriously, I've always found this one a bit interesting, simply because there's one that sticks in my craw and I haven't figured it out yet.

A distinct memory of myself as a small boy asking my mom if you pronounce it barenSTEEN or barenSTINE. I was reading at age 3, and I would have been 7 or 8 at the time.

Barenstain. Wtf.

Supercollider experiments causing havoc with interdimensional planes is the only logical explanation.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I remember it as Berenstein bears also. I was wrong. It's easily explained by vagaries of pattern recognition and memory. No hit to the ego necessary. Life goes on.
I remember Berenstein also. I am aware of the simple common sense explanation of course. On many things I believe my memory of something got garbled or I understood it wrong from the beginning perhaps. But some memories are too strong and correlate with many others that I challenge the simple explanation. At some threshold of change we will doubt the simple explanation. Did you see my Mickey Mouse ears thought experiment earlier in this thread?
Then again, I've never been fantasy-prone, and don't get excited by trying to fit overdone science fiction ideas into reality.
I definitely do not consider myself fantasy prone. And my ego has no problems admitting my misremembering or never having understood correctly in the first place.
I do understand the attraction for some people though.
Lets try to keep the snide comments to a minimum in this non-debate forum and thread I created.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Lets try to keep the snide comments to a minimum in this non-debate forum and thread I created.

It wasn't snide. Merely an expression of understanding that other people have different perspectives and motivations than I do. Maybe you're remembering something snide I said in another universe.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
As I keep saying there was 100% a Panama and a Panama Canal in my memories and it was more along an east/west line than a north/south line. Teddy Roosevelt, the Panama Canal and all that jazz is the same in my (and others) memories as everybody elses. The only difference is a shift in shape and location of Central and South America. I agree that we can not understand this with conventional thinking but I am still saying 'it is what it is'.
Yeah. No.

Now on the speculative side I think this Mandela Effect started to be noticed in about 2010 and many are speculating it had to do with experimentations done with high speed super colliders, near zero Kelvin degree experiments, and a rip in the space time brought in things from another reality. Don't for a second expect me to explain all that but all this seems to be a very modern phenomena.

Again, unless you are an experiencer I can see why you would call this 100% fantasy and maintain that the simple explanation works perfectly well and there is no reason to get into all this seemingly garbled mystery.
So. You're trying to explain this with things you blatantly admit you don't understand?

You pose this fantastic story and your best explanation is "This thing that I don't understand but seems weird therefore it must be connected"?

You'll forgive me for writing this off whole-sale.

George-ananda

Premium Member
You pose this fantastic story and your best explanation is "This thing that I don't understand but seems weird therefore it must be connected"?
What caused your choice of the word 'must' above? If you are considering what I am saying fairly you would have used the word 'could' at least.
You'll forgive me for writing this off whole-sale.
That's your prerogative.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
What caused your choice of the word 'must' above? If you are considering what I am saying fairly you would have used the word 'could' at least.

That's your prerogative.
Things require explanations. They do not occur in vacuums. The best explanation for this is that you, and others, are simply mistaken. This isn't even a large group of people. Out of the billions of people on this planet, maybe a few thousand have experienced this. Let's give you the largest benefit of the doubt we can, and say there are roughly one million total cases of this.

Out of 7 billion people "one million" is 0.01%. That's...so far into the margin of error as to be, statistically speaking, non-existent.

I do not see how it is possible for you to argue that it is more likely to be trans-universal interference when, again, this phenomena is so small. But do you know what does happen on a massive scale?

People misremembering things. All the time. Sometimes these can be very large mistakes. Because the human mind is quite simply faulty, especially in regards to how it stores memories.

Which, actually, brings me to another point:

Memories are stored on the brain physically. To alter this memory you would have to physically alter the brain. Assuming the Mandela effect is a real thing, how do you propose this occurs? And more importantly, how do you propose this occurs on such a tiny, tiny scale?

We're not dealing with immaterial notions, memory is a material thing. We know this.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Things require explanations. They do not occur in vacuums. The best explanation for this is that you, and others, are simply mistaken. This isn't even a large group of people. Out of the billions of people on this planet, maybe a few thousand have experienced this. Let's give you the largest benefit of the doubt we can, and say there are roughly one million total cases of this.

Out of 7 billion people "one million" is 0.01%. That's...so far into the margin of error as to be, statistically speaking, non-existent.

I do not see how it is possible for you to argue that it is more likely to be trans-universal interference when, again, this phenomena is so small. But do you know what does happen on a massive scale?

People misremembering things. All the time. Sometimes these can be very large mistakes. Because the human mind is quite simply faulty, especially in regards to how it stores memories.
On the South America example, I feel this would be hard to judge as I do not feel the vast majority are people are geographically competent enough to give us a meaningful opinion. On the Berenstein Bear example I feel the percentage of Americans who remember Berenstein is rather high. And it you read through this thread even some of my arch-antagonists say they remember Berenstein.
Which, actually, brings me to another point:

Memories are stored on the brain physically. To alter this memory you would have to physically alter the brain. Assuming the Mandela effect is a real thing, how do you propose this occurs? And more importantly, how do you propose this occurs on such a tiny, tiny scale?

We're not dealing with immaterial notions, memory is a material thing. We know this.
Well I believe in the Spiritualist and Post-Materialist science position that consciousness is non-physical and memory storage is non-local. The physical brain facilitates consciousness in a physical being and the physical brain facilitates memory recovery. This view makes the Mandela Effect more reasonable. Some memories may be linked to a slightly different or tampered with alternate reality. This is just one theory out there that may be on the track to understanding this phenomena.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Now one of the top physicists at CERN is actually named Jeremy Bernstein (not Bernstain, LOL). (this person can be 100% verified as really existing and involved with CERN). This person writing below is from a reddit Link

This is an essay from Jeremy Bernstein who was named by a unconfirmed ME whistleblower. He talks about Nelson Mandela's release from prison being the "instrumental" in disarming South Africa of nuclear weapons . Potential reason if ME's are related to timeline changes . Didn't want to add my own assumptions but well ... Jeremy Bernstein is a physicist who has recently worked with CERN and is well known in his field.
Article found here.
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n01/jeremy-bernstein/six-bombs

I find all this interesting but I am treating the CERN connection with a skeptical attitude myself at this point.

Last edited:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
On the South America example, I feel this would be hard to judge as I do not feel the vast majority are people are geographically competent enough to give us a meaningful opinion. On the Berenstein Bear example I feel the percentage of Americans who remember Berenstein is rather high. And it you read through this thread even some of my arch-antagonists say they remember Berenstein.
I'm even more skeptical of that, because it's just pronouncing something wrong. That's how 90% of the world's languages were formed; a bunch of people mispronouncing something and running with it.

Well I believe in the Spiritualist and Post-Materialist science position that consciousness is non-physical and memory storage is non-local. The physical brain facilitates consciousness in a physical being and the physical brain facilitates memory recovery. This view makes the Mandela Effect more reasonable. Some memories may be linked to a slightly different or tampered with alternate reality. This is just one theory out there that may be on the track to understanding this phenomena.
So you're choosing to believe something inherently impossible to test or verify, so you can retain your belief in this? I don't get it. We know how memory works. There is no need for a non-material component. It does nothing but allow you to believe in the Mandela Effect.

This feels extremely intellectually dishonest. I am reminded of Napoleon's conversation with Laplace, after Laplace had showed Napoleon his model of the Solar System. I'm going off of memory here, but it went roughly as this;

Napoleon asked him "But where is the hand of God in this to maintain it?"

Laplace responded "Sire, there is nothing he is needed for here."

I just don't see what purpose or need is addressed by the addition of something that amounts to quasi-fantasy. It's just so superfluous.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I'm even more skeptical of that, because it's just pronouncing something wrong. That's how 90% of the world's languages were formed; a bunch of people mispronouncing something and running with it.
The controversy is more about the spelling than the pronunciation.
So you're choosing to believe something inherently impossible to test or verify, so you can retain your belief in this?
No, you are putting the cart before the horse with that statement. My reason for believing in a non-local memory has nothing to do with and long preceded the Mandela Effect.
I don't get it. We know how memory works. There is no need for a non-material component. It does nothing but allow you to believe in the Mandela Effect.

Nobody in the physical sciences has more than ideas and theories about how memory and consciousness may possibly work. We definitely do not know how memory works through physical science.
I just don't see what purpose or need is addressed by the addition of something that amounts to quasi-fantasy. It's just so superfluous.
I believe there is much paranormal evidence that forces us to consider additional elements to the universe. In fact the simple deterministic physical theory to me died at the dawn of Quantum physics. And it is getting to be something more and more involved and entangled beyond our capacity to understand through physical science. I do not consider these things superfluous, but part of finding a new grander understanding of the nature of reality.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Now one of the top physicists at CERN is actually named Jeremy Bernstein (not Bernstain, LOL). (this person can be 100% verified as really existing and involved with CERN). This person writing below is from a reddit Link

This is an essay from Jeremy Bernstein who was named by a unconfirmed ME whistleblower. He talks about Nelson Mandela's release from prison being the "instrumental" in disarming South Africa of nuclear weapons . Potential reason if ME's are related to timeline changes . Didn't want to add my own assumptions but well ... Jeremy Bernstein is a physicist who has recently worked with CERN and is well known in his field.
Article found here.
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n01/jeremy-bernstein/six-bombs

I find all this interesting but I am treating the CERN connection with a skeptical attitude myself at this point.
I got to add that actress Sally Fields is now Sally Field everywhere you look. Her brother is a physicist working at CERN too. Also a famous line from her 1984 Academy Award Acceptance speech is one of the bigger Mandela Effect examples....."You like me. You really like me." has been changed to "You like me. Right now, you like me."

Going Hmmm....a little louder myself.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I got to add that actress Sally Fields is now Sally Field everywhere you look. Her brother is a physicist working at CERN too. Also a famous line from her 1984 Academy Award Acceptance speech is one of the bigger Mandela Effect examples....."You like me. You really like me." has been changed to "You like me. Right now, you like me."

Going Hmmm....a little louder myself.
"You like me, you really like me" is an example of Jim Carey's impression of Sally Field being better known than her actual speech.

George-ananda

Premium Member
"You like me, you really like me" is an example of Jim Carey's impression of Sally Field being better known than her actual speech.
You better do a little internet check before you say that. A lot of people would disagree. However, this is one I don't remember.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I got to add that actress Sally Fields is now Sally Field everywhere you look.
She was always Sally Field. Her name gets misremembered because Fields is a much more common surname than Field.

Are you going to now assume that every time you misremembered something, that you're actually accurately remembering an alternate universe?

"No, my keys really were in my pocket! I just jumped into a universe where they're in my other pants!"

"I didn't forget to pick up milk and bread on the way home! You asked me to do that in a different universe!"

:rolleyes: