• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mandela Effect Moves South America East

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I was a globe guy as a kid. But anyway the flat maps look different.
Nothing personal George, but I have read enough of your posts to find you very gullible. You like to believe that you are smart and perceptive enough to see what lesser folk overlook.

I find it far more plausible that you could unconsciously shift your vague memories, based on sources that do vary because of map projection techniques, to create a "mystery" that doesn't exist. A paranormal possibility that is fun to believe in, despite the huge implausibility of the premise.
This is not the old George-Ananda's last slip from reality
I might not post something as blunt as that, but I would think it.

Tom

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Nothing personal George, but I have read enough of your posts to find you very gullible. You like to believe that you are smart and perceptive enough to see what lesser folk overlook.

I find it far more plausible that you could unconsciously shift your vague memories, based on sources that do vary because of map projection techniques, to create a "mystery" that doesn't exist. A paranormal possibility that is fun to believe in, despite the huge implausibility of the premise.

I might not post something as blunt as that, but I would think it.

Tom
And I think you are too narrow thinking in the face of a reality beyond your understanding.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The earth is a sphere of course, and when they try to portray the world on a flat map, things get a bit distorted. That may account for this sort of discrepancy.

George-ananda

Premium Member
The earth is a sphere of course, and when they try to portray the world on a flat map, things get a bit distorted. That may account for this sort of discrepancy.
True, but I and others looked at a globe and that should never change. Are you an 'A' or a 'B'? or no opinion.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
And I think you are too narrow thinking in the face of a reality beyond your understanding.
I realize that. Of course, I disagree.
Here's the thing. I am not certain that nothing in the world that now looks paranormal is impossible. One thing I am sure of concerning the future is that there is vastly more to be known than we can even imagine. Maybe there really are disembodied sapient entities or something.
At the moment though, there is no impressive evidence for such. And frankly, were something more substantial to be discovered it would probably get lost in the plethora of false claims. The various delusions and mistakes and flat out fraud are likely to keep anybody serious from noticing a real instance of the "paranormal" than close mindedness.
If a thousand ghost stories turn out to be some kind of fiction, the one that isn't won't get any more attention than the more obvious fakes.
Tom

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How many here are familiar with this controversy called the Mandela Effect?

Now this requires thinking beyond our normal conception of one reality and one linear timeline. I was initially intrigued by the Berenstein vs. Bernstain Bears controversy.

Today I was sitting on my armchair gazing at my globe in the distance and I noticed South America is way too far eastward from where I always knew it to be. I live in Detroit and the entire continent of South America is now east of me. I just feel strongly that this was not the case from my childhood memories (I have always liked globes and maps).
... but not enough to pay much attention to their details, apparently.
View attachment 17719

I would swear as a child it looked more like A than B. There are many having the same experience on this and other issues as me. What was your memories of South America? Enough people like me remember the 'A' version that this is a controversy.

Certainly the simplest explanation is just many people are having the same memory errors, the unreliability of memories, etc.. I agree that this is a possible answer for you Occam's Razors out there.
It would be consistent with the gullibility you've demonstrated on other issues.

Alternate explanations includes one that says we experience on multiple timelines and in one timeline different earth events moved South America further east than in another timeline. As there is a version of us in multiple timelines our memories can get crossed over and we remember things from one timeline while in another timeline. It's a mystery and don't expect me to have all the answers.

This is not the old George-Ananda's last slip from reality BUT is really now a major internet topic.

What do you guys think of the Mandela Effect, South America and the other argued examples of the Mandela Effect?
:facepalm:

In your map on the left, Honduras and Panama have been deleted. In your childhood memory, was there no Panama Canal?

Personally, I do remember a Panama Canal as a child, and I remember the canal going generally north-south.

George-ananda

Premium Member
... but not enough to pay much attention to their details, apparently.

It would be consistent with the gullibility you've demonstrated on other issues.

In your map on the left, Honduras and Panama have been deleted. In your childhood memory, was there no Panama Canal?

Personally, I do remember a Panama Canal as a child, and I remember the canal going generally north-south.
The Panama canal existed in my memory and both maps.

In your childhood was my hometown of Detroit west of the entire continent of South America? If you answer 'Yes' then you differ with my and many others' memories. In the Mandela Effect theories, contrary to normal logic, there can be multiple correct memories.

Before you criticize the Mandela Effect, do you understand what it is suggesting? Are you familiar with it?

I'm suggesting people may actually remember different alternate timelines. We remember 99.99% the same things with a few glitches that are not faulty memory. Yes, this questions our base common sense notions of what reality is like.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The Panama canal existed in my memory and both maps.
Since Panama has been deleted on map A (in order to shift South America west), exactly where do you remember the canal being?

In your childhood was my hometown of Detroit west of the entire continent of South America? If you answer 'Yes' then you differ with my and many others' memories. In the Mandela Effect theories, contrary to normal logic, there can be multiple correct memories.

Before you criticize the Mandela Effect, do you understand what it is suggesting? Are you familiar with it?
I know about the actual Mandela Effect:

False Memories and the Mandela Effect | Psych 256: Cognitive Psychology SP16

This other use of the term - i.e. appealing to "alternate realities" to gaslight people - is new to me.

I'm suggesting people may actually remember different alternate timelines. We remember 99.99% the same things with a few glitches that are not faulty memory. Yes, this questions our base common sense notions of what reality is like.
And it doesn't make you question your "common sense notions" of memory?

Human memory is imperfect. It can be altered just by talking to people. Do you know why these people's memories agree so closely on events that didn't happen? Because the sources of their false memories agree.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Since Panama has been deleted on map A (in order to shift South America west), exactly where do you remember the canal being?

I am thinking there is Panama and a canal on both maps.
I know about the actual Mandela Effect:

False Memories and the Mandela Effect | Psych 256: Cognitive Psychology SP16

This other use of the term - i.e. appealing to "alternate realities" to gaslight people - is new to me.
Certainly that theory is no stretch and one we would all consider before becoming intrigued by this. The book quoted probably believes it can explain away all paranormal experiences. It is part and parcel of the paradigm the book is written from.

What are 'gaslight people'?
And it doesn't make you question your "common sense notions" of memory?

Human memory is imperfect. It can be altered just by talking to people. Do you know why these people's memories agree so closely on events that didn't happen? Because the sources of their false memories agree.
I am aware of the frailty of memory, of course. The same strong detailed memories by many people is not so readily explained and becomes more intriguing. I just think there is a strong possibility that I am not just misremembering in this case and a couple other cases. Alternate timelines, holographic universes, etc. are things people smarter than I are seriously talking about. We may not understand the ramification of those things on our perception of reality.

George-ananda

Premium Member
@George-ananda : have you ever encountered a claim of the paranormal - one made sincerely, I mean, not a counter-example by a skeptic - that you haven't accepted?
First of all, considering a possibility that is non-normal seems to quickly get transferred to 'acceptance by George-ananda' in your hands.

You know the difference between the words consider and accept I am sure. On individual cases I will say I do not know with certainty what happened.

George-ananda

Premium Member
@9-10ths_Penguin @columbus @Nietzsche

My thread is waning too soon. So here's a question for you guys. We all know Mickey Mouse

upload_2017-5-27_18-57-18.png

Now, what if you saw a picture of Mickey with pointy mouse ears and knew that was just wrong. And then someone says it was always like that (pointy ears). You say, no way, but everywhere you look he has the pointy ears now?

What do you think at this point? (Doubt yourself?) (Stick to your guns?) (walk away confused?)

And then you find out there is a sizeable minority that remembers the round ears like you. And they believe we live in a many reality universe.

Now, what do you think at this point?

Last edited:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
@9-10ths_Penguin @columbus @Nietzsche

My thread is waning too soon. So here's a question for you guys. We all know Mickey Mouse

View attachment 17727

Now, what if you saw a picture of Mickey with pointy mouse ears and knew that was just wrong. And then someone says it was always like that (pointy ears). You say, no way, but everywhere you look he has the pointy ears now?

What do you think at this point? (Doubt yourself?) (Stick to your guns?) (walk away confused?)

And then you find out there is a sizeable minority that remembers the round ears like you. And they believe we live in a many reality universe.

Now, what do you think at this point?
I think I need to see my psychiatrist because my medication isn't working as well as it should.

This is not a joke answer.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I think I need to see my psychiatrist because my medication isn't working as well as it should.

This is not a joke answer.

No, it's not. You're making it complicated by doubling down on what was simply you and others remembering something wrong.
I've been taking my meds. This is not a joke answer either.

But there is a threshold where I would say 'no way'. Things like South America and Berenstain Bears have not crossed my threshold to 'NO WAY". But they crossed my threshold to saying 'The Mandela Effect Could Well be Real'.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I would probably start by doubting myself, in a confused sort of way. But Mickey Mouse isn't that important to me. I don't think I would dwell on it long enough care all that much. And I know I have been very wrong before, when I was very certain about something.
I would not start inventing bizarre theories to account for being right, despite massive evidence to the contrary. At least I hope not.
In a sense I have done something like this. I was raised in a religious family. It started to unravel, logically, when I was pretty young. I grasped the Problem of Evil in 2nd grade. But everybody around me was very devout and the school I went to was a Christian school. I took a wait and see attitude, sort of. Not much I could do when I was ten. But I did keep investigating and contemplating and eventually came to the realization that people are very prone to irrational beliefs, and Catholicism was one.
But I couldn't be a Protestant because then I would go to Hell;)

Over time I have found that people aren't really very smart or perceptive or rational. And that is how I became such a skeptic. When somebody claims something of any importance, I try to start by comparing the plausibility with the evidence. Often, the implausibility is high and the evidence is weak and I just make up my mind and that's that. Until more evidence comes along I honestly just don't care.
Tom

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
First of all, considering a possibility that is non-normal seems to quickly get transferred to 'acceptance by George-ananda' in your hands.

You know the difference between the words consider and accept I am sure. On individual cases I will say I do not know with certainty what happened.
I know the difference between the two, but I'm not sure you do.

It seems like you don't distinguish between "this hasn't been proved impossible," "there's a serious possibility of this," and "this is pretty likely" and it seems that you think this is okay as long as you don't jump to "this is certainly true."

It's as if you don't consider plausibility at all when evaluating claims.