• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manchester attack: UK halts sharing bombing intel with US

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Britain has suspended intelligence sharing on the Manchester bombing with the US after American officials leaked information to the media, an issue that British Prime Minister Theresa May will raise with US President Donald Trump later Thursday.

US officials released the suspected bomber's name and other details of the investigation into the deadly attack at the Manchester Arena Monday night, irking British investigators scrambling to keep details of the probe confidential.
Manchester attack: UK halts sharing bombing intel with US - CNN.com

I remember in a previous discussion someone was curious as to why the handling of sensitive information is important. This is why. When allies begin to withhold information because they cannot trust the US officials, it begins to become a problem.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
From the OP:

Trump in turn vowed to investigate, according to a White House statement to reporters, saying "leaks of sensitive information pose a grave threat to our national security."
I find the irony overwhelming sometimes.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think Trump is under the impression that the public is dumber than he is.

I'm not certain whether he's correct or not.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Given that the current resident of the White House tells top secret information to people, presumably to brag, the whole world and the American intelligence agencies need to stop telling him anything important.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
You would think the US would co-ordinate itself with the lead team (UK). However I would hope the UK doesn't do anything to restrict co-ordination in the future and that the US apologizes, learns and move forward.

These two countries should be great allies and it would be wrong to let the personalities of the leaders get in the way of that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Given that the current resident of the White House tells top secret information to people, presumably to brag, the whole world and the American intelligence agencies need to stop telling him anything important.
What does Trump have to do with this leak?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What does Trump have to do with this leak?

Why it's obvious that Trump himself is the anonymous source.

upload_2017-5-25_9-58-36.jpeg

siti

I think Trump is under the impression that the public is dumber than he is.

I'm not certain whether he's correct or not.
I think the UK security services are under the impression that the UK public is dumber than they are. I too am not certain whether they are correct or not.

Guess the UK can handle this on their own.
Guess the UK security services are sure they can which is why they are plugging the leak so precipitously. Now figure out why - because it is compromising the investigation - or because it is compromising the public perception that this attack was a big surprise to them?

And this comment form a (now) very suspicious Brit.