1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man who helped Epstein tweeting about age of consent laws.

Discussion in 'The Political World' started by Labourwave, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Labourwave

Ratings:
    +3,324
    Alan Dershowitz, alleged abuser who helped get Epstein a very lax “non-prosecution agreement” has been defending some sketchy positions online lately.

Arguing for a reduction of the age of consent to age 15 and throwing out statutory rape laws.

Link

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Compassion, understanding, and tolerance.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,132
    Religion:
    Often the quickest path from ignorance to arrogance and/or condescension
    I wouldn't lynch the fellow for having some controversial views. For example:

Sex is not just for grown-ups

The age of consent has been set at 16 for the past century. Now, the Government wants to tighten the law. In this provocative and personal argument Miranda Sawyer says the Home Office is wrong: it would be better for everyone if we lowered the age to 12

Seems to me as a bit of a balancing act setting the age of consent (AOC) - freedom of expression versus our protection requirement - not too high that it criminalises too many, and not too low that it encourages early sex or perhaps pressurises many into having early sex because of it being legal. One can't argue with the figures - at least 25% of females (and more males) have had sex by age 16 in the UK (16 being the legal AOC in the UK). And the wide range of AOCs all around the world shows there is still much disagreement on this issue - even if the age of 18 has been agreed upon as being a decent starting point to be regarded as being an adult.

Not really in agreement with Miranda Sawyer though, as 12 seems far too young even if they might be physically capable of having sex, since they might not be in most other ways.

And the USA has some issues - like the number of marriages below the age of consent or where a state has lacked such.

Child marriage in the United States - Wikipedia

3. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,940
    Religion:
    Christian
    OMG... Then preying on teen-agers would be legal for men like Epstein and Desrshowitz and Trump.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Labourwave

Ratings:
    +3,324
    Criticizing an alleged pedo abuser who had ties to Epstein for calling to end statutory rape laws is just "lynching the fellow" for having "some controversial views" to you?

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Mock Turtle

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,132
    Religion:
    I was more replying to this - and only the first bit:

'Arguing for a reduction of the age of consent to age 15 and throwing out statutory rape laws.'

Not everyone who argues for changes in such laws (AOC) is necessarily a paedophile - as the link perhaps suggested - even though I would probably disagree with what Sawyer proposed. I tend towards the view of causing the least harms with the greatest amount of freedom, which is quite a problem when dealing with such an issue. As to those who might have committed crimes - provide the evidence and convict them rather than use 'alleged' and convict them anyway

6. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,940
    Religion:
    Christian
    Teens will still be having sex with each other.. they just won't be fair game for men like Trump and Dershowitz.

7. Labourwave

Ratings:
    +3,324
    Someone was accused of being an abuser by the same person that was abused by Epstein. This alleged abuser has clear ties to Epstein.
    Then goes along to get a confirmed abuser a plea deal.
    Then starts trying to convince people that the laws they were accused of violating should be changed.

That doesn't seem fishy at all to you?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mock Turtle

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,132
    Religion:
    Let's get this clear. I'm not advocating either way on this issue (any set age or changes in AOC laws), since it is rather complex and I just see it as that which tends to produce the best outcome for all concerned, and especially giving the most weight to those who are the most vulnerable - that is, those being the young. Exploitation is the main issue here I suspect, and those who have the power (wealth, fame, etc.) use such to exploit the young. The issue of AOC should be separate from this, and any who argue either way - protection issues or freedoms for the young, for example - should be allowed to demonstrate the benefits or deficits of any particular scheme without being called a variety of names or necessarily be associated with them. That is my main point.

As you say, and the evidence tells us so, teens will be having sex anyway and it is more about how we protect them from exploitation - which is why we have schemes in many countries to limit the age differences where large age differences might be a concern. Where there are no such laws then presumably we have to look at freedom of expression versus vulnerability.

9. Mock Turtle

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,132
    Religion:
    Probably is but that is not what I was mainly on about.

10. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,940
    Religion:
    Christian
    Dershowitz was also a guest of the Lolita Express.

11. Mock Turtle

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,132
    Religion:
    Must be guilty then. Is that a new version of Lolita (the novel) for those without the concentration necessary to read the old one. Or Nabokov's fan club? :D

12. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,940
    Religion:
    Christian
    Have you been living under a rock for the past 20 years?

13. Mock Turtle

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,132
    Religion:
    Lolita Express means nowt to me - have I been frequenting the wrong bit of the internet or is it something on USA TV? Searching for such things will get one locked up over here - or nearly so - given the hysteria we have concerning such things. :oops:

OK, it was his plane. Didn't bother to read too deeply.