• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man talk.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Pay no attentian to Yossarian, Penguin. He's a poseur. He probably doesn't even change his own oil.
Its difficult to change my car's oil when I don't have a car.
I am rebuilding an old diesel car though, but its nowhere near done. Who needs gas? My diesel (will) run off of tar.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you were driving on the sunside of Mercury it might be hot enough to get tar to flow freely, but I can't imagine how you would achieve it here.
Tar! Come on. You must mean ordinary diesel fuel.

I'm impressed that you're rebuilding an engine, though. What engine and vehicle are we talking about?

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
If you were driving on the sunside of Mercury it might be hot enough to get tar to flow freely, but I can't imagine how you would achieve it here.
Tar! Come on. You must mean ordinary diesel fuel.
I did exaggerate a bit. I derive some oil out of a tar sample, mix the two together, and then run it. It's not going to win any land-speed records, but it runs. Dirt cheap to. I just need to check if its emissions are within the legal limit. It probably isn't, but hey, I can always run it off of vegetable oil.
I'm impressed that you're rebuilding an engine, though. What engine and vehicle are we talking about?
86 VW Jetta Turbodiesel. 1.6L 68 Horsepower engine. Not exactly a dragster, but it'll they last for a hell of long time.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Tomorrow I'll be trying to fix my 91 Buick Skylark. I'm getting a horrible grating noise from the engine, so I'm going to take the valve cover off it and check my exhaust ports.

(I have only a vague idea about what that means.)

In other words, I'm going to look inside the darn thing, scratch my head, try to figure out the Chilton's repair book, then call a garage and hope they can get it fixed before work on Tuesday. :D

Y'know, typical man stuff.

Edit: Sorry, forgot a step. First I have to hit something and swear, then call a garage.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well... the fuel pump fixed some of my problems, but not all of them. I'm beginning to suspect that contaminated fuel was the cause of my troubles; I'll know better once I check the spark plugs. Grr.

I once had a fuel pump that sounded like it was dying for 70,000 miles, till I finally sold the vehicle. Never did give out.

I "corrected" the problem by putting heavy carpeting down, so you could barely hear the thing chugging away. :D

Yeah... unfortunately the problem wasn't sound, but fuel starvation. I don't think I could've solved it with carpet. ;)

Buy another one? Pssh, how un-manly. There is nothing that cannot be fixed with duct-tape. Also, everything becomes manly, if it is encased in enough duct-tape
I find that the duct tape doesn't adhere well to the rust, though.

Maybe I need more duct tape.

If it helps, several parts of my car were taken off other cars by me at the auto wreckers. No duct tape, but if you have to stand in mud, coolant and broken glass to do it, it's manly. :D

BTW - my local wreckers has what they call "free parts days": once a month, you pay a cover charge to get into the yard, and then you can leave with whatever you can carry out. Brilliant - I think Disney may have a run for its money for the title of "happiest place on Earth".

Burp! Don't forget the fuel filter.

*scratch* Of course. :D

I did exaggerate a bit. I derive some oil out of a tar sample, mix the two together, and then run it. It's not going to win any land-speed records, but it runs. Dirt cheap to. I just need to check if its emissions are within the legal limit. It probably isn't, but hey, I can always run it off of vegetable oil.
A guy at my school made the campus newspaper years ago: apparently, he converted his car to run off waste frying oil, which he got from local fast food restaurants for free. Apparently, he had to put in a bypass valve; the car would run, but not start, on the waste oil, so he'd start the car on regular diesel, then switch to the fry oil when he got up to temperature.

86 VW Jetta Turbodiesel. 1.6L 68 Horsepower engine. Not exactly a dragster, but it'll they last for a hell of long time.
Meh. Who needs a big engine?

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines." - Enzo Ferrari (supposedly)

"Good engines are for people who can't carry their speed through the corner." - Me :D

The Jetta's a nice-handling car. Out at the track, all you need to do is take every corner with a nice four-wheel drift and you can probably beat the pants off some Mustang (that has a shiny "5.0" emblazoned on the side, but doesn't have any fancy chrome saying "SOLID REAR AXLE" for some reason ;) ) that has to slow down to turn. :D

Panda

42?
Premium Member
The Jetta's a nice-handling car. Out at the track, all you need to do is take every corner with a nice four-wheel drift and you can probably beat the pants off some Mustang (that has a shiny "5.0" emblazoned on the side, but doesn't have any fancy chrome saying "SOLID REAR AXLE" for some reason ;) ) that has to slow down to turn. :D

Well duh the mustang is American it can not turn corners. The VW Jetta is German so it will turn corners and generally VWs are well made cars and i do quite like the Golf R32 MkV.

A

angellous_evangellous

Well duh the mustang is American it can not turn corners. The VW Jetta is German so it will turn corners and generally VWs are well made cars and i do quite like the Golf R32 MkV.

My BMW 328i handles far better than my VW Passat.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
I find that the duct tape doesn't adhere well to the rust, though.
Maybe I need more duct tape.
If at first it doesn't stick, put more duct tape. If that fails-super glue combined with duct tape
A guy at my school made the campus newspaper years ago: apparently, he converted his car to run off waste frying oil, which he got from local fast food restaurants for free. Apparently, he had to put in a bypass valve; the car would run, but not start, on the waste oil, so he'd start the car on regular diesel, then switch to the fry oil when he got up to temperature.
Odd. Most diesels don't even need modification to run off of used vegetable oil, but most do to run off of unprocessed vegetable oil. I am planning to do that. The exhaust smells...funky...to say the least, but its legal. I am hoping that my tar mixture emissions are legal, its easier for me to get. Place near my house has a ton of waste tar. None of this entirely replaced diesel. You need to start the engine off of regular diesel.

Meh. Who needs a big engine?
I would prefer a bigger one. They tend to be more tolerant. It also helps that they scale off of crappy fuel better. Mine takes 23 seconds to hit 60mph off of tar. Bigger engines don't get that much of a speed reduction- it maybe doubles. But anyways, whoever heard of an old diesel beating a speed record. These things beat durability records. One of these cars hit over 500.000 miles and is still running like new

"[/quote]
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines." - Enzo Ferrari (supposedly)[/quote]
His commercial cars are notoriously unreliable. It costs more to maintain the bloody things than to actually buy one.
"Good engines are for people who can't carry their speed through the corner." - Me :D
That would be a person like me.
Pity I don't know how to drift. I can drift in Mario Kart though.
Hell, if I need to beat a car in a race, I'll just stick a few of my old pulse jets onto my car. I have 12 just lying around. Terrible amount of heat though. Can't use duct-tape sadly. It'd burn.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If at first it doesn't stick, put more duct tape. If that fails-super glue combined with duct tape
I did end up using some 5-minute epoxy on the car: the electrical connector to the fuel pump broke while I was fiddling with it, so I glued it together when put the new one in. My car's 10 years old, so I figure it's not that big a deal: this'll probably be the last fuel pump it will ever have. Worst case scenario, I can just chop the old connector off, which is what I would've had to do to do things properly anyhow.

Odd. Most diesels don't even need modification to run off of used vegetable oil, but most do to run off of unprocessed vegetable oil. I am planning to do that. The exhaust smells...funky...to say the least, but its legal. I am hoping that my tar mixture emissions are legal, its easier for me to get. Place near my house has a ton of waste tar. None of this entirely replaced diesel. You need to start the engine off of regular diesel.

That was what the modification was for: so he could start on diesel, then switch to his oil.

I would prefer a bigger one. They tend to be more tolerant. It also helps that they scale off of crappy fuel better. Mine takes 23 seconds to hit 60mph off of tar. Bigger engines don't get that much of a speed reduction- it maybe doubles. But anyways, whoever heard of an old diesel beating a speed record. These things beat durability records. One of these cars hit over 500.000 miles and is still running like new

Old diesels... not so much, but a couple of diesel-powered racecars have been cleaning up in the American Le Mans Series.

His commercial cars are notoriously unreliable. It costs more to maintain the bloody things than to actually buy one.
I think if you're worried about maintenance costs, you don't buy a Ferrari. :D

Hell, if I need to beat a car in a race, I'll just stick a few of my old pulse jets onto my car. I have 12 just lying around. Terrible amount of heat though. Can't use duct-tape sadly. It'd burn.
They make aluminum tape... you could use it (i.e. actual tape for ducts, not what we like to call "duct tape"). Alternatively, just use more duct tape. The outside might get scorched, but if you layer the tape on thick enough, there will be enough left over to act as structural support. :D

But not many race series allow rocket-powered cars; strapping pulse jets to your car just sounds like a very efficient way of launching yourself into the wall at high speed, anyhow. :eek:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If I have an itch during a job interview, am I permitted to scratch myself even though it might offend the interviewer, or is it more polite to punch out the interviewer first so s/he doesn't see me scratch myself?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If I have an itch during a job interview, am I permitted to scratch myself even though it might offend the interviewer, or is it more polite to punch out the interviewer first so s/he doesn't see me scratch myself?
Scratch away. If it offends the interviewer, it's not the sort of workplace you'd want to work at.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
I did end up using some 5-minute epoxy on the car: the electrical connector to the fuel pump broke while I was fiddling with it, so I glued it together when put the new one in. My car's 10 years old, so I figure it's not that big a deal: this'll probably be the last fuel pump it will ever have. Worst case scenario, I can just chop the old connector off, which is what I would've had to do to do things properly anyhow.
Epoxy. Fun fun stuff. Until you wind up with a metal tube stuck to your clothing
That was what the modification was for: so he could start on diesel, then switch to his oil.
I just mix some diesel with it, but thats probably more efficient.

Old diesels... not so much, but a couple of diesel-powered racecars have been cleaning up in the American Le Mans Series.
Pity I don't have 200k to blow on an engine. Impressive that they are competing with gasoline cars though. Diesels tend to run slower and are heavier, so they aren't seen in typical racers too much.
I think if you're worried about maintenance costs, you don't buy a Ferrari. :D
Hell, if you are worried about money, you don't buy a Ferrari. Hell, they aren't that fast anyways. Not too difficult to make a car that performs better for much much less cash. But then, you can't have a Ferrari insignia on it, unless you weld one on.
They make aluminum tape... you could use it (i.e. actual tape for ducts, not what we like to call "duct tape"). Alternatively, just use more duct tape. The outside might get scorched, but if you layer the tape on thick enough, there will be enough left over to act as structural support. :D
Tape doesn't work well. Pulse-jets shake like hell, which is the reason you don't see them in aircraft.
I just weld em on. Works fine. It'll look ugly as hell though. Welding is not my forte.
But not many race series allow rocket-powered cars;
Heh, its not a rocket, its a jet. Eat that regulators.
strapping pulse jets to your car just sounds like a very efficient way of launching yourself into the wall at high speed, anyhow. :eek:
Eh, I can drive it fine. It takes some time getting used to how much thrust the damn things have. No throttle on these particular ones. I'm not sure if it is even possible to make a pulse jet with a throttle; as far as I know, they have 2 speeds: off and really really fast.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hell, if you are worried about money, you don't buy a Ferrari. Hell, they aren't that fast anyways. Not too difficult to make a car that performs better for much much less cash. But then, you can't have a Ferrari insignia on it, unless you weld one on.

Better yet, get some Prancing Moose stickers from this guy:

patchmoose-a.jpg

That moose kicks butt. :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think I will get drunk tonight.
As soon as I am done back up files on my computer and have reformatted it and reinstalled everything that is necessary, such as Firefox, Winamp, AIM, and a few other programs. More importantly though, is that all my music and videos are put back on my computer, as without them, there is no purpose a computer can serve.
And while I am drunk, I will probably write song bass lines, as I usually write better when I am slightly drunk.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Is there anything better than sitting around the campfire with a group of your buddies, drinking beer and having fart contests? To me that is pure bliss.