• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man sprouting from the ground...science or myth?

gnostic

The Lost One
According to Judeo-Christian scriptures (Tanakh and Bible) and Islamic scripture (Qur’an), God made man from the earth - from dust, in Genesis, most likely soil or even clay, and from Muhammad’s version, from clay in the Qur’an 2:30.

Is such a feat scientifically possible?

If it is possible, then how?

A living adult human made from the earth. God was to breath life into human-shaped earth, giving it life.

But such a story is hardly unique, nor original, because similar creation myths exist before there were ever written records (eg Genesis).

From what understand of biology, it is not possible to make humans from soil, clay or dust.

If the creation story was just a story, an allegory, then I can understand this, but in this day and age, there are some who believe that it is not just true, it literally happened.

So the question is, is this scientifically possible to create a living, breathing adult human being from dust, soil or clay?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Aside from the primordial ooze, it's pretty well documented that we (ancestors) came out from the ocean originally.

Sanzbir

Not that my religion even has a literal interpretation of this, but I wanted to see what some quick Google searches can reveal.

Humans are made of the following elements:
Oxygen
Carbon
Hydrogen
Nitrogen
Calcium
Phosphorus
Potassium
Sulfur
Sodium
Chlorine
Magnesium
Then there's a few trace elements (Boron, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Flourine, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Selenium, Silicon, Tin, Vanadium, and Zinc)

Of that, the following can be found in clay:
Oxygen
Carbon
Hydrogen
Nitrogen
Calcium
Phosphorus
Potassium
Sulfur
Sodium
Magnesium
Then again the trace elements (Boron, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Flourine, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Selenium, Silicon, Tin, Vanadium, and Zinc)

The only thing I can't find something online mentioning as an element present in some clays that the human body needs is Chlorine.

So... almost?? You can make 99.8% of a human being with clay I guess. Presuming you have enough clays and something that can break them down and rearrange all the atoms.

Though that was just with a quick Google search. So maybe there is some sort of clay that contains Chlorine somewhere out there.

gnostic

The Lost One
Aside from the primordial ooze, it's pretty well documented that we (ancestors) came out from the ocean originally.
But from dust or clay directly into humans, is another matter, as in poof, almost instantaneously, Adam made with no ancestor.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Christianity is what affects more people in the world than Islam or Judaism or any other religion. Christianity makes an effort to spread itself more than any other religion.
How does that translate into its creation myth being worthy of scientific investigation? As Christianity continues to decline in the developed world, does that mean the justification for scientific examination of its creation story lessens as well?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Not that my religion even has a literal interpretation of this, but I wanted to see what some quick Google searches can reveal.

Oxygen
Carbon
Hydrogen
Nitrogen
Calcium
Phosphorus
Potassium
Sulfur
Sodium
Chlorine
Magnesium
Then there's a few trace elements (Boron, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Flourine, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Selenium, Silicon, Tin, Vanadium, and Zinc)

Oxygen
Carbon
Hydrogen
Nitrogen
Calcium
Phosphorus
Potassium
Sulfur
Sodium
Magnesium
Then again the trace elements (Boron, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Flourine, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Selenium, Silicon, Tin, Vanadium, and Zinc)

The only thing I can't find something online mentioning as an element present in some clays that the human body needs is Chlorine.

So... almost?? You can make 99.8% of a human being with clay I guess. Presuming you have enough clays and something that can break them down and rearrange all the atoms.

Though that was just with a quick Google search. So maybe there is some sort of clay that contains Chlorine somewhere out there.
That can be said for the entirety of outer space, planets, and stars Etc.

Something like that might impress the hell out of a Christian who isn't all that well versed in science, because it looks like oh my gosh the Bible's true! We did come from clay. Lol

Aside from that, it's amazing at what can be made from the periodic table of elements.

I think we get our chlorine requirement from salt, hence our dependence by which our blood is essentially salty, so in essence we carry the ocean around with us.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
How does that translate into its creation myth being worthy of scientific investigation? As Christianity continues to decline in the developed world, does that mean the justification for scientific examination of its creation story lessens as well?

I don't know of any scientist who is actively involved in disproving creationism. There's certainly plenty of fake creationist scientist who are actively involved in attempting, but failing, to prove creationism.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
According to Judeo-Christian scriptures (Tanakh and Bible) and Islamic scripture (Qur’an), God made man from the earth - from dust, in Genesis, most likely soil or even clay, and from Muhammad’s version, from clay in the Qur’an 2:30.

A living adult human made from the earth. God was to breath life into human-shaped earth, giving it life.

But such a story is hardly unique, nor original, because similar creation myths exist before there were ever written records (eg Genesis).

From what understand of biology, it is not possible to make humans from soil, clay or dust.

If the creation story was just a story, an allegory, then I can understand this, but in this day and age, there are some who believe that it is not just true, it literally happened.

So the question is, is this scientifically possible to create a living, breathing adult human being from dust, soil or clay?

We are made up of approximately 40% stardust. So yes it's possible.

How much of the human body is made up of stardust?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I don't know of any scientist who is actively involved in disproving creationism. There's certainly plenty of fake creationist scientist who are actively involved in attempting, but failing, to prove creationism.
Definitely. Creationism is 100% scientifically irrelevant.....thus my question.

gnostic

The Lost One

Oxygen
Carbon
Hydrogen
Nitrogen
Calcium
Phosphorus
Potassium
Sulfur
Sodium
Chlorine
Magnesium

Oxygen
Carbon
Hydrogen
Nitrogen
Calcium
Phosphorus
Potassium
Sulfur
Sodium
Magnesium

Just because there are some elements that are found in common, doesn’t mean you can make a human from it.

We are not made by any single element, but a combinations of these atoms, bonded together in certain configurations of molecules and compounds.

And the most basic molecule of clay is made from after weathering and decomposed minerals of rock (mainly feldspar), and turn into clay mineral - hydrous aluminium phyllosilicates

Al2Si2O5(OH)4

Of course, clay are not made out of only clay mineral and water; clay minerals are often contaminated by by other minerals and organic matters, like from decomposed animals or plants (or both). When mixed with different minerals, their properties change, eg different color, different texture, etc.

But hydrous aluminium phyllosilicates is the main molecule in clay. So silicate as in silicon.

So aluminium and silicon are found in the human body as well, but in such tiny trace amount of them, cannot make clay, and you don’t find aluminium anywhere near silicon (meaning, in our body, they are not molecularly bonded together), therefore making it impossible for clay to form. And neither of them are essential for life.

Sorry, but you don’t know enough about chemistry.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
We are made up of approximately 40% stardust. So yes it's possible.

How much of the human body is made up of stardust?
Everything on earth was originally made from stardust.

But I am not talking about some billions of years process that lead to abiogenesis, then evolution of life to get to here.

I am talking about making human created directly from dust or clay, as the scriptures say. In Genesis 2, there are no in-between, Adam was made out of ground and brought to life, with no birth, no childhood. An instant adult.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Oxygen
Carbon
Hydrogen
Nitrogen
Calcium
Phosphorus
Potassium
Sulfur
Sodium
Chlorine
Magnesium

Oxygen
Carbon
Hydrogen
Nitrogen
Calcium
Phosphorus
Potassium
Sulfur
Sodium
Magnesium

"Clay" is not a compound or discrete substance. It's any mineral mixture with a very small particle size.
There is no formula for clay.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Early photographic evidence:
Mandragora_Tacuinum_Sanitatis.jpg

Grandliseur

I don't understand your objection. Atheists believe in hot mineral rock soup as having created all life, including man with the DNA programming - actually, absolute rubbish.

When scientists in labs work with cells, studying them, and need to keep them alive, do they not feed them nutrients and minerals as needed to do this?!
When then the Bible says that God created us, it means that He created the cell, the DNA, everything. If he made a fertilized ovum first, and accelerated its growth - in whichever the case, it still needed nutrients, minerals from earth to grow into an adult body. When we die, the water is absorbed by the dust, and the rest turns into dust in a sense. So saying we are made with dust, or earth, is entirely a proper way of explaining things simply without needing to give us a 100 volume encyclopedia wherein the scientific process is detailed. A process most of us, if any at all, cannot understand.

What many also miss is the fact that God could have put this first ovum into an animal so as to give birth to us in that way. However, he wanted us to feel special, his children, in his image - so he created us directly to give us this feeling of being special, of being made in his image, instead of telling us, a gorilla female gave birth to Adam and also Eve. That would have been a letdown, and not at all in the image of God.