• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man sent to prison in Kansas for inability to pay medical bills.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Hey, that's just a misdemeanor.
I gots at least 1 unprosecuted felony too.
Oh dear. If we go back really far in my life, there are some things I did as a youngster that today probably would've put me in for some time. We all do some stupid stuff at times. Hopefully we learn from it... maybe...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh dear. If we go back really far in my life, there are some things I did as a youngster that today probably would've put me in for some time. We all do some stupid stuff at times. Hopefully we learn from it... maybe...
My felony was a great decision...refusing my draft physical.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
My felony was a great decision...refusing my draft physical.
Ouch. I was an conscientious objector in my home country. Still meant I had to serve, but in different capacity. Computer stuff. Yeah, I'm such a peace loving tree hugger hippie, not wanting to shoot people. :D Things have changed since then.

My crime was B&E and computer hacking (no, not in service). :D Well, as far as computer hacking could be done in early 1980s when we still used 8" floppy disks.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ouch. I was an conscientious objector in my home country. Still meant I had to serve, but in different capacity. Computer stuff. Yeah, I'm such a peace loving tree hugger hippie, not wanting to shoot people. :D Things have changed since then.
I wasn't eligible for CO status....one had to have the right kind of religion.
Mine was (& still is) Government-Can-Take-A-Flying-****-At-A-Rolling-Donut.
But I'd also refuse to do alternate service....cuz of me religion, ya know.
My crime was B&E and computer hacking (no, not in service). :D Well, as far as computer hacking could be done in early 1980s when we still used 8" floppy disks.
B&E....I've done that too....but not in a bad way.
I never stole...just got back my own stuff.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I wasn't eligible for CO status....one had to have the right kind of religion.
Mine was (& still is) Government-Can-Take-A-Flying-****-At-A-Rolling-Donut.
But I'd also refuse to do alternate service....cuz of me religion, ya know.
Yeah. I had an excuse. Strict, serious, deeply religious myself back then. To the point of being certain Jesus was coming back tomorrow.

B&E....I've done that too....but not in a bad way.
I never stole...just got back my own stuff.
Of course not. Didn't do anything bad either. It was more on a dare, both occasions. Can I do it? Let me show you. And that was it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah. I had an excuse. Strict, serious, deeply religious myself back then. To the point of being certain Jesus was coming back tomorrow.

Of course not. Didn't do anything bad either. It was more on a dare, both occasions. Can I do it? Let me show you. And that was it.
I discovered that if you find yourself needing to get into a house,
& you have no tools, just go to a neighbor, & ask to borrower
tools to remove a window, get some stuff, & re-install the window.
They didn't know me, but they lent me tools...which I returned.
White folk do that for white folk. Idiots, eh.

David1967

Premium Member
You didn't read the article did you?
Sure did. Every word of it. You assume too much.

He didn't show up for court that would evaluate if he had to pay that debt or was within poverty criteria. He was put in jail due to failure to appear not debt.
So did you read the article? The corporate high dollar lawyers manipulate the system where the impoverished person has to show up for court every month to defend his inability to make the payment. This is indefensible. I'm ashamed that my country is allowing this.

You fell for click-bait and didn't read the contents.

Nope, I read it to make sure it wasn't clickbait. Again, this is indefensible by any decent human standards.

David1967

Premium Member
Apparently Jesus healed the sick.
His devoted followers would prefer they went to hell.
Isn’t that weird ?

I would have thought free health care was the sine qua non of a Christian attitude.

How do people maintain such stunning levels of hypocrisy ?

Alcohol ?

I don't recall Jesus' standard for healing folks was based on their wealth. I would say that he would be quite ashamed of this policy.

David1967

Premium Member
I've considered it. I still might after I have my master's degree. My only real problem with Canada is the only region I'd want to go to is that tiny bit in the SouthWest near Seattle, because everywhere else has too much winter for me.

British Columbia is beautiful. If my family wasn't here I would have moved there years ago.

David1967

Premium Member
Some other articles with similar stories:

When Medical Debt Collectors Decide Who Gets Arrested
The Criminalization of Private Debt
https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/...und_of_flesh_debtcollectionreport.pdf#page=39
https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/...und_of_flesh_debtcollectionreport.pdf#page=24

And there's more...

Some didn't even know they had a warrant out for their arrest. One had debts they didn't know about... from some party that charge her for evicting her, so it's not just medical bills that can lead to this.

Those with the money make the rules...and laws apparently.

Shad

Veteran Member
Sure did. Every word of it. You assume too much.

So you are distorting things on purpose.

So did you read the article? The corporate high dollar lawyers manipulate the system where the impoverished person has to show up for court every month to defend his inability to make the payment. This is indefensible. I'm ashamed that my country is allowing this.

Nope. Someone took on a debt they couldn't afford and the lender has a right to attempt to see that debt paid off. You are just advocating theft.

Nope, I read it to make sure it wasn't clickbait. Again, this is indefensible by any decent human standards.

Advocating theft by you, nothing more.

David1967

Premium Member
Nope. Someone took on a debt they couldn't afford and the lender has a right to attempt to see that debt paid off. You are just advocating theft.

Getting sick and seeking help is not taking on debt in the same manner as taking out a car loan. I'm not advocating theft (that's the most ignorant thing I've heard in a while), I'm advocating basic human compassion where you sir are advocating death or imprisonment for those who can't afford to get sick and pay for medical help. Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh would agree with you though.

Shad

Veteran Member
Getting sick and seeking help is not taking on debt in the same manner as taking out a car loan.

Yes it is as it is still a choice. He chose to take on debt. It isn't my problem nor anyone's that humans have a fear of death thus chose debt over death. If you feel morally obligated to help people feel free to do so with your own dime. However your moral obligations are not moral imperatives of someone not you.

I'm not advocating theft (that's the most ignorant thing I've heard in a while), I'm advocating basic human compassion where you sir are advocating death or imprisonment for those who can't afford to get sick and pay for medical help.

Nonsense. I am pointing out that an individual chose to become indebted to another by their own free will. I said nothing about alternatives such as charity organizations or as simple as a GoFundMe account. You are advocating theft as loan forgiveness due to circumstance that were known before the debt was created by both parties by projection of your moral codes on to RF instead of the company in question. You are conflating issues in your haste to grandstand.