• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man sent to prison in Kansas for inability to pay medical bills.

Ayjaydee

Well, yeah. Every aspect of the legal system is, and the specifics are not set up at all to favor the poor, but rather stack the cards against them and brutalize them.
In some places more than others. Georgia speed traps on Friday evening for example

Heyo

Veteran Member
Real question to me is why is the cost of health care so high. Never seem to find a good answer for that.
Economics 101. A supplier will set a prize at the point where his income is maximized. That point can be mitigated by various methods. One of those methods is, when you pool the demand side and negotiate. In some countries that pool is the government in others it's the health care insurances. In the US one organization that could effectively negotiate drug prizes is the VA but they are prohibited by law to do so.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't. I wasn't referring to the special case but the system as a whole.
The system as a whole has a whole lotta government owned & run prisons.
I know people who've been on both the customer (inmate) & service (guard)
end of the business. It's a bad idea to presume that privatization is the problem.
The whole ding dang rassin frassin Justice Industrial Complex is the problem:
Judges, lawyers, lawmakers, cops, prisons, court reporters, guards, etc.
Rehabilitation is seldom the goal...it's about warehousing, impunity, brutality,
vengeance, incompetence, & carelessness.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
The system as a whole has a whole lotta government owned & run prisons.
I know people who've been on both the customer (inmate) & service (guard)
end of the business. It's a bad idea to presume that privatization is the problem.
The whole ding dang rassin frassin Justice Industrial Complex is the problem:
Judges, lawyers, lawmakers, cops, prisons, court reporters, guards, etc.
Rehabilitation is seldom the goal...it's about warehousing, impunity, brutality,
vengeance, incompetence, & carelessness.
I totally agree with that.

There are criminal and bad people in our world and to be safe we have to make sure that's taken care of, but I feel that sometimes the system doesn't work right to fix the problem in long term, but rather it creates more problems. Prison is more like Criminal University for many inmates. They come out worse than they went in. Somehow we're feeding the criminal minds and intellects instead of making it go away. I don't know how it can be changed, but currently America has more people in jail than any other country. A few years ago, not sure if it's still true, we had I think it was over 20% of all prisoners worldwide. We had (maybe still do) more prisoners in numbers than China. Now, I probably should research and confirm that I remember this right, but the numbers I saw was shocking back then. Also, the back log for the courts was (maybe still is) a problem as well. Suspects waiting years for trial, which we have an amendments promising they shouldn't have to (due process).

It's just all really messed up.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Another issue we constantly have with insurance is that the law constantly changes. Not only does each and every president want to change the medical insurance system, but there's constantly changes in the state and coverage from the company, suddenly you get a huge bill because the doctor you go to used to be covered and now suddenly isn't, so you have to look for another on the fly that perhaps is as good as the one you had for the past 10 years. And then doctors don't always communicate with you or each other, so referrals and paperwork gets wrong or do wrong procedures and you end up with more problems than before. Put it this way, we have as a family 25 years of experience of the medical industry and insurance companies, including worked in medical bill review companies myself as well. The whole thing is just... urgh....

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I have a warrant in Kansas for a speeding ticket back in 2000. I'll never pay, and I'll never step foot in that boring, God forsaken state again.
Yeah. You better stay out. They might have a warrant out for you. I had a friend who was arrested in California for outstanding tickets.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I totally agree with that.

There are criminal and bad people in our world and to be safe we have to make sure that's taken care of, but I feel that sometimes the system doesn't work right to fix the problem in long term, but rather it creates more problems. Prison is more like Criminal University for many inmates. They come out worse than they went in. Somehow we're feeding the criminal minds and intellects instead of making it go away. I don't know how it can be changed, but currently America has more people in jail than any other country. A few years ago, not sure if it's still true, we had I think it was over 20% of all prisoners worldwide. We had (maybe still do) more prisoners in numbers than China. Now, I probably should research and confirm that I remember this right, but the numbers I saw was shocking back then. Also, the back log for the courts was (maybe still is) a problem as well. Suspects waiting years for trial, which we have an amendments promising they shouldn't have to (due process).

It's just all really messed up.
The how to fix it question isn't the stumbling block.
It's the lack of will by voters & leaders.
Consider...
No one put more people in Prison than Bill Clinton,
yet he's a beloved scamp of an ex-Prez.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Every three months is a burden if you're poor.
Which means you have to take personal days and sick days to leave work. Work that you're doing to try to pay those bills that you'll have to defend in court that you can't pay. I suspect it's the reason why debtors prison was abolished, because it basically made it harder to pay of the debt. If they have a job they can't leave, maybe you'll get fired even, then suddenly you're a criminal.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
The how to fix it question isn't the stumbling block.
It's the lack of will by voters & leaders.
Yeah. That's probably true. It's an unwillingness to actually have a serious discussion about it in society.

Consider...
No one put more people in Prison than Bill Clinton,
yet he's a beloved scamp of an ex-Prez.
I kind'a remember that from some reading years ago. Each president wants to show they're tough on crime.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I have an outstanding speeding ticket in Oregon from back in 1977.
You people you. Didn't know I was consorting with such deprived criminal elements. Not sure if I can associate with you anymore. :D

Well, I only have had a few tickets in my life, but all paid off. Don't want to leave things like that after my friends experience.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You people you. Didn't know I was consorting with such deprived criminal elements. Not sure if I can associate with you anymore. :D

Well, I only have had a few tickets in my life, but all paid off. Don't want to leave things like that after my friends experience.
Hey, that's just a misdemeanor.
I gots at least 1 unprosecuted felony too.