• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man sent to prison in Kansas for inability to pay medical bills.

Ayjaydee

Assertion and deflection. I never commented on the system as in favour of or against. I just pointed out the title of OP is misleading and the reason why. Lack of reading the contents of the article. Try again. Maybe try reading next time
The law was DESIGNED to enable them to put a guy in jail for debts. I dont care what NAME they hang on it. Next time you read it, try between the lines.

Shad

Veteran Member
The law was DESIGNED to enable them to put a guy in jail for debts. I dont care what NAME they hang on it. Next time you read it, try between the lines.

No it was designed for the opposite by having audits which prevent debt collection. The man in the article was jailed for being a no-show not his debt. Try again. Like I said maybe read the source.

Ayjaydee

No it was designed for the opposite by having audits which prevent debt collection. The man in the article was jailed for being a no-show not his debt. Try again. Like I said maybe read the source.
Lol. Good one

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
"Mr Hassenplug influenced the creation of a law under which the court can compel people with outstanding medical bills to appear in court every three months and make a defense of their poverty."

"Mr Hassenplug gets paid a portion of the debtor’s bail money. "

"When Mr Biggs failed to appear in court - at the time he was working two jobs, but still fell behind paying the family’s debt - he was sentenced to prison."

Looks more like a scam set up by Hassenplug to intentionally make the debtors fail and he gets a kickback.

Shad

Veteran Member
"Mr Hassenplug influenced the creation of a law under which the court can compel people with outstanding medical bills to appear in court every three months and make a defense of their poverty."

Having a standard audit review to establish if one can not be sued is normal. It is a form of probation as relieve from civil suits.

"Mr Hassenplug gets paid a portion of the debtor’s bail money. "

Which is for the debt. The government is paying of the defendant's debt via bail.

"When Mr Biggs failed to appear in court - at the time he was working two jobs, but still fell behind paying the family’s debt - he was sentenced to prison."

Failed to appear...... Read what you post. Take a vacation day or talk to your boss.

Looks more like a scam set up by Hassenplug to intentionally make the debtors fail and he gets a kickback.

Nope as the law direct no funds to Hassenplug from those he does not represent. Maybe show up to your court date.....

Shad

Veteran Member
Done and done. Nonsense

"When Mr Biggs failed to appear in court -"
"A radiologist had sued her over a $230 bill, and she’d missed one hearing too many."
"thousands of people are jailed each year for failing to appear in court for unpaid bills"

They are being sued for bills. They do not show to their court dates. They are charged with contempt of court which has a sentence. They decide to pay the bond instead of sitting in jail for their own failure to show to their own case.... The court provides relief from civil suites if the person meets the poverty criteria. A person not showing up to such a case is a moron....

Try again son.

Ayjaydee

"When Mr Biggs failed to appear in court -"
"A radiologist had sued her over a $230 bill, and she’d missed one hearing too many."
"thousands of people are jailed each year for failing to appear in court for unpaid bil
Try again son.
Lol. Deliberately designed to ensure jail ! A country gone mad! Lol

Shad

Veteran Member
Lol. Deliberately designed to ensure jail ! A country gone mad! Lol

No as contempt of court and jail is normal in civil and criminal law. It is not unique to this law at all. Try again. Look up what a bench warrant is.... Contempt of court is the court take action against a person disrespecting the court and process as they are wasting the courts and everyone's time. More so as the this court is designed to provide legal relieve from civil suits.

Civil Contempt of Court - FindLaw

Ayjaydee

No as contempt of court and jail is normal in civil and criminal law. It is not unique to this law at all. Try again. Look up what a bench warrant is....
Like I say, a loophole using criminal law to aid and abet a civil matter designed and applied by a cynical society.