• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man awarded $750,000 from ex-wife’s lover

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This could upset quite a few applecarts given how often one party or another has an affair in marriage. I suspect therefore we're going to see a lot of legal armwaving over this ruling.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This could upset quite a few applecarts given how often one party or another has an affair in marriage. I suspect therefore we're going to see a lot of legal armwaving over this ruling.

You have a remarkable gift for understatement.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I have mixed feelings about the ruling. It does seem to me in principle fair on at least one level. Then, on the other hand, it sure does open a can of worms. For instance, what if you beat your spouse, he or she runs off into the arms of someone else, and then you -- in a final act of malice -- sue that other person and win a life-crippling award against them? You might want to say any sensible judge or jury would not award you such a settlement if you beat your spouse. But let's get real, shall we? That would assume you could not hire a legal team capable of casting doubt and confusion about whether or not you beat your wife. HAH! You have to be born yesterday not to see this as opening a can of worms.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think the American juridic system is the most partial and biased in the world.
Common law turns judges into tyrants...because since there are no written codes, judges do not apply any law, but simply grant the request of the person they sympathize with, whether it is the suer or the sued.

Btw in Italy there is a specific law that states that a third has zero responsibility in the end of the marriage...because only the two spouses have duties and rights towards one another.

Just be rational...it is the wife who signed the contract called marriage. It is the wife who had marital obligations of fidelity.
So it is the wife who is responsible for the hedonic damage and the monetary damage.

Art 143 Civil Code
Court of Cassation 19193 / 2015

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I suspect there are double standards based on gender going on here.
If a woman steals my husband from me, can I sue her too?;)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Btw in Italy there is a specific law that states that a third has zero responsibility in the end of the marriage...because only the two spouses have duties and rights towards one another.

Just be rational...it is the wife who signed the contract called marriage. It is the wife who had marital obligations of fidelity.
This.
It's the married couple who are at fault. The outsider probably did behave badly, but they haven't broken any promises. And they may not have done anything terribly wrong, depending on how the cheating spouse described the circumstances.
Tom

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
This.
It's the married couple who are at fault. The outsider probably did behave badly, but they haven't broken any promises. And they may not have done anything terribly wrong, depending on how the cheating spouse described the circumstances.
Tom
Thank you

Cooky

Veteran Member
Let's face it, the kinds of people who break-up marriages are bottom of the barrel type people... Nobody likes them and nobody cares to protect them.

My grandmother was seduced by a French Canadian and left my grandfather back in the late 90's. Shortly after, she started acting confused, and accused my mother of poisoning her tea, and making her sick. After a few months, she died and was immediately cremated by this French Canadian freak, who was seen driving a brand new Corvette. Apparently he opened up a million dollar life insurance policy on her.

...We think he killed her. Also, he never would leave the room and let anyone talk to her alone, he was very possessive and extremely rude to us. She ended up alienating us from her life before her death.

Nobody ever did anything about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Let's face it, the kinds of people who break-up marriages are bottom of the barrel type people... Nobody likes them and nobody cares to protect them.

My grandmother was seduced by a French Canadian and left my grandfather back in the late 90's. Shortly after, she started acting confused, and accused my mother of poisoning her tea, and making her sick. After a few months, she died and was immediately cremated by this French Canadian freak, who was seen driving a brand new Corvette. Apparently he opened up a million dollar insurance policy on her.

...We think he killed her. Also, he never would leave the room and let anyone talk to her alone, he was very possessive and extremely rude to us.

I understand...but you see this only from a male perspective.
How many young women seduce older wealthy men and become their mistresses?
Do you think they should be punished too?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He was called a homewrecker — and now he owes the jilted husband $750,000, a judge in North Carolina has ruled.

Citing the state’s “alienation of affection law,” Kevin Howard sued his ex-wife’s lover seeking recompense for ending their marriage, media outlets report.

In August, a judge agreed.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article235767377.html
Does the hubby own his wife's affections?
Nah.
People have the right to be fickle.
Bad ruling.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
People can be incredibly stupid.

I have a relative who has been married 3 times. Every one of her husbands were married to someone else when they first "got together". Then she would be outraged to find that they're cheating on her.

Her conclusion seems to be that men are all pigs who will cheat at the drop of a hat(or skirt). The fact that she's only married men that she knows for a fact cheat on their wives seems beyond her ability to grasp.
Tom