• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

male devotees

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
Is anyone else a male devotee of the Goddess? Many people find it strange that they find out I am devoted to a female deity when I'm male. They are even more suprised when they find out I'm not gay or a feminist.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
A lot of pagans are connected to the feminine side of Divinity... be they male or female.

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
I don't believe that you have to be feminist to believe men and women are equal. In fact, many forms of feminism I find insulting to women.

Wannabe Yogi

Is anyone else a male devotee of the Goddess? Many people find it strange that they find out I am devoted to a female deity when I'm male. They are even more suprised when they find out I'm not gay or a feminist.

I am a Shakta worshiper. You might like this from the Vedas. A women who came up with one of the worlds great scriptures.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/comparative-religion/85719-i-need-interview-hindu-muslim.html

read comment #10

Devi Suktam

Lehnah

Master of the Mystic Arts

I am! (Waves hand) I do also recognise and pay homage to the Wiccan God, the Goddess is my "main" deity, the one I feel most at, well, "one" with. Honestly, I don't see why you'd have to be feminist or gay to be a devotee of the Goddess. For me it makes much more sense that a female deity gave birth to life, the universe and everything than a male one. I've always seen women as the bringers of life since a young age and I am not gay.

Some people are just unable to accept things that don't fit their own beliefs/ ideas.

Nanda

Polyanna
I don't believe that you have to be feminist to believe men and women are equal.

Generally that's what makes one a feminist, though.

In fact, many forms of feminism I find insulting to women.

Not trying to get too far off topic, but could you name a few? I'm not here to argue, just curious of your perspective.

MissAlice

Good for you..:yes:

Too bad not a lot of females get the same devotional respect as their male counterparts for it is the female who gives the birth of life....as well as other things aside from breeding.

ecnal

Kali's
Obviously an old thread, but i just wanted to say that i'm a Goddess worshipper who is male also. My favorite form of the Divine Female is Kali, but i worship Her in all Her forms.

ecnal

Kali's
For me, Kali Ma is the best representation of the nature of reality--dark, deep, mysterious, both creative & destructive. She is the womb & the tomb. Many people are turned off by the gruesome imagery in Her iconography, but if you understand the meaning behind it you realize that She is the Tao, the Shining Void, the Ground of Being, the Ultimate.

I try to make everything I do an act of Goddess worship by honoring the feminine, creative, nurturing, yielding aspects of reality & of myself, but also honoring the masculine counterparts when appropriate. As the Tao Te Ching says, "know the male, but stick to the female." & right now there's too much yang & not enough yin in the world.

More specifically, as a drummer, I compose numerous drum-accompanied chants to the Goddess. I practice shakti mantras, pray to the Goddess, & meditate on Her names.

And, of course, in this day & age, it's important that we love Gaia!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Don't millions of male Catholics pray to Mary every day without anyone considering it odd? In my region it's not unusual for men to have her image prominently tattooed on chest or arm.

ecnal

Kali's
Don't millions of male Catholics pray to Mary every day without anyone considering it odd? In my region it's not unusual for men to have her image prominently tattooed on chest or arm.

That is true. Some, myself included, see Christianity as a Goddess religion, perhaps in denial. The veneration of Mary, or, for protestants, the Church as Christ's Bride; Jesus being the ultimate feminist for his day & age; all kinds of male/female imagery involving the earth, the cross, the tomb, which I won't go into detail about now,...

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
I serve the Great Goddess of Many Names. Some of the more primary names that come to mind when I think of Her are Sophia, Mary, Aquarius, Kwan Yin, Isis. And yup I'm ALL man!!! :p

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I've not found my ishta-dev yet (and it could be male or female whom I end up with), but I do admire Kali, Durga, Lakshmi and Sarasvati, as well as Kuan Yin, and I am male. :)

And Abu, this is a DIR, subsection "Goddess Spirituality and Worship". Please abide by the rules and either post any female divinity whom you are close to, or leave the thread so as not to infringe the rules. Thanks.

nnmartin

I for sure am a Goddess worshiper - I certainly believe in the concept of Earth Mother to whom we all return after death.

all of us came from the womb of a woman so it makes sense to me that God should be female.