• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Male Bias

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I agree, although the most society can actually do is change the written law and make certain it is actually enforced. When we talk about "biases," we're talking about what people think and feel - sometimes without even consciously knowing it.

A lot has changed in recent decades, but I think society also sends too many mixed messages which tends to confuse a lot of people. It seemed a lot easier to grasp back in the 70s when a term like "gender equality" could be taken at face value, but now, it seems to mean whatever anyone wants it to mean. It goes all over the map.

It is kind of ironic that there is bias against women in the sciences, since one would expect scientists to take a logical and scientific view towards things like this.
I consider the biases all throughout cultures even among scientists to be a vary fallible human thing. Science is not biased, 'many' scientists are biased, which reflects the religion and culture they are a part of. Over time the Methodological Naturalism and the evolution of the spiritual equality resolves the bias. Things are changing, but is naive to think that education alone can eliminate biases. It would help to give up the ghost of the ancient religions like Christianity, and Islam where the strongest bias is culturally ingrained. Despite being among the most educated of cultures in the USA 40%+ of the population of the USA still believe in a literal Bible including the limited role of women in society, and the rejection of the science of evolution.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
that's why your interpretation is skewed.

It is not my interpretation that is the issue. It is very literal and specific interpretation and belief of Christianity for 2000 years, and has not begun to change in the 19th century.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
It is not my interpretation that is the issue. It is very literal and specific interpretation and belief of Christianity for 2000 years, and has not begun to change in the 19th century.
I gave you Biblical text that proved you wrong and there are many more. You can beat your drum to promote your philosophy but it doesn't change the truth of what is written.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I gave you Biblical text that proved you wrong and there are many more. You can beat your drum to promote your philosophy but it doesn't change the truth of what is written.

You gave nothing that proves anything. My citations have been clear and specific, and proposed the dodge that 2000 years of Christianity is wrong and you are right. Not a coherent argument.

By the way it has only begun to change the Roman Chruch, Mormon Church and many protestant churches still maintain a limited and restricted role of women in church, family and society based on my specific citations.

These are matter of facts of history.

Kenny

Premium Member

Yes it is and you haven't refuted what I have explained.

I'm not saying that people didn't misinterpret and became dogmatic as you do. However, it doesn't change the reality and the truth that in Christ, "There is neither male or female" - both are co-heirs of the grace of God and Jesus is the head of it all.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I consider the biases all throughout cultures even among scientists to be a vary fallible human thing. Science is not biased, 'many' scientists are biased, which reflects the religion and culture they are a part of. Over time the Methodological Naturalism and the evolution of the spiritual equality resolves the bias. Things are changing, but is naive to think that education alone can eliminate biases. It would help to give up the ghost of the ancient religions like Christianity, and Islam where the strongest bias is culturally ingrained. Despite being among the most educated of cultures in the USA 40%+ of the population of the USA still believe in a literal Bible including the limited role of women in society, and the rejection of the science of evolution.

I wouldn't underestimate the influence of secular politics and the culture it has derived. Women made some great breakthroughs 50-75 years ago, and a lot of attitudes and biases changed, much of which I've seen in my own lifetime. Most of us alive today were raised during the era of liberation and the sexual revolution, and even religion has changed to a noticeable degree in this regard.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I'm not saying that people didn't misinterpret and became dogmatic as you do. However, it doesn't change the reality and the truth that in Christ, "There is neither male or female" - both are co-heirs of the grace of God and Jesus is the head of it all.

This specifically refers to the salvation and the equality of the soul, and not social and legal equality, which is the subject of the thread and addressed in the NT as I referenced.

You can leave this with the usual problem with ancient scripture, like the Bible, where contradictions and other interpretive problems results in a religion without guidance and moral foundation in the modern world.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I wouldn't underestimate the influence of secular politics and the culture it has derived. Women made some great breakthroughs 50-75 years ago, and a lot of attitudes and biases changed, much of which I've seen in my own lifetime. Most of us alive today were raised during the era of liberation and the sexual revolution, and even religion has changed to a noticeable degree in this regard.

I already acknowledged a progressive positive change in women's rights since the 19th century, but ancient religions like Christianity and Islam have not offered guidance and a moral foundation for ending the extreme 'Male bias' of the past.

Kenny

Premium Member
This specifically refers to the salvation and the equality of the soul, and not social and legal equality, which is the subject of the thread and addressed in the NT as I referenced.

You can leave this with the usual problem with ancient scripture, like the Bible, where contradictions and other interpretive problems results in a religion without guidance and moral foundation in the modern world.

That is if you fail to understand the reality that what is in the spirit realm manifests in the natural.

Your contradictions is, again, due to your misinterpretations as you noted (in bold) even as demonstrated in my first sentence.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
That is if you fail to understand the reality that what is in the spirit realm manifests in the natural.

Your contradictions is, again, due to your misinterpretations as you noted (in bold) even as demonstrated in my first sentence.

Therefore Christianity is too divided in contradiction, conflict and interpretive problems to be functional in today's world and deal with 'Male bias' as a moral leader. Most Christians belong to churches that limit female roles in the church, family, and society.

Not my problem, because it yours, and your trying with ENRON book keeping to resolve the Gordian knot.

The Baha'i Faith ranks highest in the world consistently with women in the structure of the faith and in administrative positions than any other church or religion including the Unitarian Universalists.

I deal with the facts of the problems in Christianity and other ancient religions, and you avoid them.

Kenny

Premium Member
Therefore Christianity is too divided in contradiction, conflict and interpretive problems to be functional in today's world and deal with 'Male bias' as a moral leader. Most Christians belong to churches that limit female roles in the church, family, and society.

Not my problem, because it yours, and your trying with ENRON book keeping to resolve the Gordian knot.

The Baha'i Faith ranks highest in the world consistently with women in the structure of the faith and in administrative positions than any other church or religion including the Unitarian Universalists.

I deal with the facts of the problems in Christianity and other ancient religions, and you avoid them.
LOL...

It would appear that the only person who consistently expresses "problems" is you.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
LOL...

It would appear that the only person who consistently expresses "problems" is you.

This a very very naive approach, because many many Christians express not only problems with 'Male bias' in Christianity, but they even start new churches in the vain hope of resolving. Including the problem that you believe you are right and most of the rest of Christianity in history is wrong.

There is considerable conflict in Christianity over 'Male bias' and women's rights.

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
This a very very naive approach, because many many Christians express not only problems with 'Male bias' in Christianity, but they even start new churches in the vain hope of resolving. Including the problem that you believe you are right and most of the rest of Christianity in history is wrong.

There is considerable conflict in Christianity over 'Male bias' and women's rights.
What people do (including interpretation) and what the word of God says are two different things (as you have demonstrated)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I honestly do not know where to put this, so Moderators, please move it as you wish.

I ran into this on BBC and thought it could provide some interesting discussion about Male Bias.

Physics star gives away £2.3m prize

It is very clear to me that even in Genesis 3:16 Misogyny got a very early start, and I am not sure if that is what God said, or if men simply interpreted it that way? Christian and Jewish texts do not mention women much, and the Quran is even worse.

And we are all aware that it has carried forward to this present time. I was in a large store called Home Depot, where you can purchase anything from Rose bushes to Electrical Services. It is amazing to me that there seems to be an invisible line in the store, where women "shall not pass". When ever I go into the Electrical section there are times when the men there are really awful.

This male bias seems to be distributed through our society and I am not sure if it is from God, or just the chemical Testosterone? I once has a man gently scold me for checking my oil in a service station, "No, no Sister, what is in here is not for woman... ".

I'm sad to read what a bad time you have had from some stupid men. I've had a bad time from stupid men as well, too many times to remember, but I've had a very bad time from women as well.....

Try being more assertive when stupid people say stupid things to you. And sometimes humour can help as well..

As far as that Astronomer is concerned, giving her reward money to help women study astronomy etc..... no probs, it's her money and she gave it for an altruistic cause.

Giving is good.....

Ellen Brown

I'm sad to read what a bad time you have had from some stupid men. I've had a bad time from stupid men as well, too many times to remember, but I've had a very bad time from women as well.....

Try being more assertive when stupid people say stupid things to you. And sometimes humour can help as well..

As far as that Astronomer is concerned, giving her reward money to help women study astronomy etc..... no probs, it's her money and she gave it for an altruistic cause.

Giving is good.....

Thank you. And yes, women can be very cruel and are adept at getting sympathy, sometimes undeserved.

YET, Gen 3:16 is written in me, and yes there have been men that were sweet and loving. I am not a man hater. At my age, it is all mute, and the most I can hope for is to please God in what I do and think.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thank you. And yes, women can be very cruel and are adept at getting sympathy, sometimes undeserved.

YET, Gen 3:16 is written in me, and yes there have been men that were sweet and loving. I am not a man hater. At my age, it is all moot mute, and the most I can hope for is to please God in what I do and think.
I fixed your post.
I had too.
Otherwise, I'd lie awake tonite wanting to.