• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Male Bias

Ellen Brown

I honestly do not know where to put this, so Moderators, please move it as you wish.

I ran into this on BBC and thought it could provide some interesting discussion about Male Bias.

Physics star gives away £2.3m prize

It is very clear to me that even in Genesis 3:16 Misogyny got a very early start, and I am not sure if that is what God said, or if men simply interpreted it that way? Christian and Jewish texts do not mention women much, and the Quran is even worse.

And we are all aware that it has carried forward to this present time. I was in a large store called Home Depot, where you can purchase anything from Rose bushes to Electrical Services. It is amazing to me that there seems to be an invisible line in the store, where women "shall not pass". When ever I go into the Electrical section there are times when the men there are really awful.

This male bias seems to be distributed through our society and I am not sure if it is from God, or just the chemical Testosterone? I once has a man gently scold me for checking my oil in a service station, "No, no Sister, what is in here is not for woman... ".

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I honestly do not know where to put this, so Moderators, please move it as you wish.

I ran into this on BBC and thought it could provide some interesting discussion about Male Bias.

It is very clear to me that even in Genesis 3:16 Misogyny got a very early start, and I am not sure if that is what God said, or if men simply interpreted it that way? Christian and Jewish texts do not mention women much, and the Quran is even worse.

And we are all aware that it has carried forward to this present time. I was in a large store called Home Depot, where you can purchase anything from Rose bushes to Electrical Services. It is amazing to me that there seems to be an invisible line in the store, where women "shall not pass". When ever I go into the Electrical section there are times when the men there are really awful.

This male bias seems to be distributed through our society and I am not sure if it is from God, or just the chemical Testosterone? I once has a man gently scold me for checking my oil in a service station, "No, no Sister, what is in here is not for woman... ".

Might makes right.
Men are used to imposing their will. Probably some culture some genetics. Those in control, in power get to pass on their genes/culture more often than not.

1000's of years men have dominated. How long has the idea of equality been around?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There are definitely some lessons yet to learn about treating women as actual people.

It is not always malicious or egocentric, though. The difficulty in addressing women with proper respect can be very genuine, particularly if the man is too impressed by the appearance or charisma of the woman.

But addressing the man while acting as if the woman were not actually right there at the side is not a proper way of dealing with those difficulties. It happened to me once and I felt the need to comment on it with my friend immediately after the fact.

My best guess is that many of us simply aren't encouraged often or clearly enough to think of women as people as opposed to repositories of hopes, expectations and desires.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Yes... man has demonstrated male bias, people have demonstrated racism (though we all have red blood), dictatorship, et. al.

But as a Christian, we hold to this position:

Galatians 3:28 NLT
28 There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Rom 8:17 And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering. (whether male or female)

There is nothing a woman can do or is capable of doing. HOWEVER, I haven't found a man who can carry a baby for 9 months, so perhaps women are better? :)

For that matter, my understanding is that men have thicker sculls... are we more hard-headed? :)

And if memory serves me correctly, in the womb male babies are bathed with testosterone which has the effect of frying some left to right nerves. So perhaps we have less brain capacity? :D

Last edited:

Ellen Brown

Might makes right.
Men are used to imposing their will. Probably some culture some genetics. Those in control, in power get to pass on their genes/culture more often than not.

1000's of years men have dominated. How long has the idea of equality been around?

And, oddly, most women that I know actually look for a strong, protective male.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
"No, no Sister, what is in here is not for woman... ".

I'm not sure where that happened but it reads as very primitive to me. I'm reminded about all the women running for office this year - things are changing. But that primitive attitude about women still remains alive. One of my current favorite songs

has this section of about Malala Yousafzai

c2.JPG

Capture.JPG

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
And, oddly, most women that I know actually look for a strong, protective male.
That is not quite so odd once you consider that acceptance by wider society is an appealling and legitimate goal.

Very few people actually enjoy being perceived as odd and weird.

Jumi

Some men. According to studies, the male line genetics is significantly less diverse than female line. So if 1/17 of males compared to females survived 8000 years ago, it would mean that men while being at the top were also the biggest losers.

8,000 YEARS AGO, 17 WOMEN REPRODUCED FOR EVERY ONE MAN
An analysis of modern DNA uncovers a rough dating scene after the advent of agriculture.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
During my university studies I found out:
- that the 85% of students in the Faculty of Engineering were men
-that the 80% of the students in the Faculty of Law (mine) were women

Coincidence? No...I guess not. I think some intellectual abilities depend on gender

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
During my university studies I found out:
- that the 85% of students in the Faculty of Engineering were men
-that the 80% of the students in the Faculty of Law (mine) were women

Coincidence? No...I guess not. I think some intellectual abilities depend on gender
That of course ignores all reasons for that disparity and ascribes the current situation using a sexist reason.

sealchan

There is a deep denigration and excision of all that is feminine going back to the second chapter of Genesis. The common stories of creation often had the woman as the source of creation, but in Genesis we have the woman taken as a rib bone out of the man. Probably had humorous overtones for the original audience. Those overtones of humor continue throughout much of Genesis.

i suspect there was a strong Goddess tradition around and that as a patriarchal system was being developed that tradition was subsumed under the male God.

But this seems to have been a strong cultural movement across most world cultures. Perhaps it was instantiated as war became a major political force in shaping empires and nations.

sealchan

That of course ignores all reasons for that disparity and ascribes the current situation using a sexist reason.

Given the diverse range of intelligence in any profession, it is unlikely that intelligence is a primary factor. More likely there are gender role identifications which influence individual decisions.

I'm proud to say that my mother was a computer programmer.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes... man has demonstrated male bias, people have demonstrated racism (though we all have red blood), dictatorship, et. al.

But as a Christian, we hold to this position:

Galatians 3:28 NLT
28 There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Rom 8:17 And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering. (whether male or female)

As in the history of Christianity this did not refer to social and legal here on earth, in terms of salvation and the spiritual journey of the soul.

Paul set the standard up until the 19th century.

1 Corinthians 14:33-35(NIV) states:

"As in all the congregations of the Lord’s people. Women should remain silent in the churches, They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

1 Timothy 2: 9-15 (NASB) says:

Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness. A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Given the diverse range of intelligence in any profession, it is unlikely that intelligence is a primary factor. More likely there are gender role identifications which influence individual decisions.

I'm proud to say that my mother was a computer programmer.
That's not true...I chose to study law because I am not good at getting math...and math makes me sick, honestly.

Intellectual abilities and professional aspirations are intertwined

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Some men. According to studies, the male line genetics is significantly less diverse than female line. So if 1/17 of males compared to females survived 8000 years ago, it would mean that men while being at the top were also the biggest losers.

8,000 YEARS AGO, 17 WOMEN REPRODUCED FOR EVERY ONE MAN
An analysis of modern DNA uncovers a rough dating scene after the advent of agriculture.

If means, if their hypothesis is correct, that some men dominated other men. Lots and lots of slaves I would imagine. So the more dominate of males got their genes passed on. Male domination created a greater female diversity vs males. So yes you are right, but I guess who cares about the losers?

sealchan

My theory on the difference between men and women psychologically has to do with what might be part acculturation and part nature...there are two modes of conscious ego development that one can see styled in dreams: the separative and the cooperative. Both men and women have these modes of consciousness.

In our dreams we experience our personality in the form of fragments of more or less aligned fragments of ourselves. Each fragment represents a different voice that contributes to our overall understanding and attitude. Typically the differences between the fragments resolve to a more or less consistent attitude for the individual as others know them. Under heavy stress or mood modifying substances, however, the individual's stronger alternate voices may break out.

The separate mode of ego development involves the ego attempting to bring under its central control all sources of psychic energy (I'm using Jungian terms here). Any other inner personality in the psyche that does not align itself with the ego is seen as a threat and is challenged into submission. Anything that takes the focus away from the ego is also a threat so the ego in this mode continually acts to separate itself from others as the primary force in the personality.

The cooperative mode of ego development involves the ego attempting to share all control of psychic energy with the various fragments of the inner personality. Any attempt to divert power centrally to the ego is avoided and such power is shared back out to the collective. The ego in this mode maintains the cooperation of the whole set of the inner personality fragments.

Culturally men are associated with the separative mode while women are associated with the cooperative mode. I suspect that evolution acting on the man and woman differently with respect to the facts of biological reproduction may have tipped the scales such that these inner psychological modes became biased culturally in this way.

How our psyches resolve differences of opinion within ourselves mirrors how we resolve differences of opinion with others. In a patriarchal society, competition and power are often favored as a way to resolve alternatives. Those who don't "pipe up" and "win" are often undervalued. Leaders are greater than the sum of their team. First across the finish line decides.

The alternative is a more deliberative process which involves reflection and communication. It takes time to "load" into our minds the whole set of parameters and implications involved when making a decision that impacts multiple people. Being the facilitator that resolves conflicts or the one who mentions an idea that sparks the actions of others is seen as the person of ultimate value on the team but it is hard to see that person as much more than an expression of the team as a whole.

Last edited:

sealchan

That's not true...I chose to study law because I am not good at getting math...and math makes me sick, honestly.

Intellectual abilities and professional aspirations are intertwined

Ideally they are. Hopefully one's proficiencies play a strong role in the profession one chooses, but that is not always the case. And, in any case, there are often more than one type of intelligence that will determine the success of an individual in their chosen profession.

Mathematics is one of those extremes which people find themselves loving or hating.

Here we might identify what we think the various intelligences are. I look CG Jung's personality typology and Howard Gardiner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences myself for guides on this.

sealchan

If means, if their hypothesis is correct, that some men dominated other men. Lots and lots of slaves I would imagine. So the more dominate of males got their genes passed on. Male domination created a greater female diversity vs males. So yes you are right, but I guess who cares about the losers?

In the study of gorilla populations, while the dominant "fighter" gorilla would determine the "harem" there were always sub-dominant "lover" gorillas that often did the reproducing.

Nature seems to create a biased expression but always within a limit that balances.