• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Malaysia: No more prison, only rehab for addicts under new law

danieldemol

Premium Member
'KUALA LUMPUR: Drug abusers and addicts will be rehabilitated instead of being sent to jail when the proposed Drug and Substance Abuse Act replaces the Drug Dependants (Treatment and Rehabilitation) Act 1983 later this year.

Home minister Hamzah Zainudin said the change of approach towards drug abusers and addicts – from prison sentences to rehabilitation and treatment programmes – will happen this year and would remove the stigma they carry in society, which looked negatively at abusers and drug addicts.'

Read more here: No more prison, only rehab for addicts under new law

Seems like a positive step to me.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I would have thought the stigma as users will remain. Even if it does not follow you as a prison term would.
But it seems a very positive move in terms of getting people off drugs.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
'KUALA LUMPUR: Drug abusers and addicts will be rehabilitated instead of being sent to jail when the proposed Drug and Substance Abuse Act replaces the Drug Dependants (Treatment and Rehabilitation) Act 1983 later this year.

Home minister Hamzah Zainudin said the change of approach towards drug abusers and addicts – from prison sentences to rehabilitation and treatment programmes – will happen this year and would remove the stigma they carry in society, which looked negatively at abusers and drug addicts.'

Read more here: No more prison, only rehab for addicts under new law

Seems like a positive step to me.

And prison beat capital punishment, at one time.

Editted ... Oops ... my mistake, capital punishment is for traffickers, not users. Capital punishment for drug trafficking - Wikipedia

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That will never ever happen in the states.

The US incarceration rate still leads on the entire face of the planet , with millions and millions of people rotting away in prison.

Nobody in power has lifted a finger to actually stop it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
That will never ever happen in the states.

The US incarceration rate still leads on the entire face of the planet , with millions and millions of people rotting away in prison.

Nobody in power has lifted a finger to actually stop it.

Follow the money.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
And prison beat capital punishment, at one time.

Editted ... Oops ... my mistake, capital punishment is for traffickers, not users. Capital punishment for drug trafficking - Wikipedia

The Chinese communists could figure out no better means of solving the long lasting opium addiction that was still crippling China in their early years, other than to execute every addict they could until opium addiction became exceedingly rare in China.

I'm guessing they could be numbered among that group of people who don't see how addictions can be seen as solvable medical problems.

My hunch. To the Chinese communists, it was a moral problem. That seems typical of folks who can't see it as a medical problem.