• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making Tax Digital and Religion

Notanumber

A Free Man
I have just been doing some research into this new HMRC requirement to file Value Added Tax returns digitally.

It seems that concessions that are currently available will remain, although you must apply for any exemption from HMRC for example on grounds of religion, disability, age or remoteness of location.

Does anyone know why religion is included in these exemptions?

Altfish

Veteran Member
I have just been doing some research into this new HMRC requirement to file Value Added Tax returns digitally.

It seems that concessions that are currently available will remain, although you must apply for any exemption from HMRC for example on grounds of religion, disability, age or remoteness of location.

Because the UK is NOT a secular state, religion has far too much privilege and influence.

Altfish

Veteran Member

UKIP are pro-Christian so it'd be worse under them.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Because the UK is NOT a secular state, religion has far too much privilege and influence.

UKIP are pro-Christian so it'd be worse under them.

Which religion would I have to join to avoid having to comply with the UK’s tax laws?

I was a Methodist and used to put C of E as my religion, would that count?

If it is as easy as that then there will not be many complying with this rule of the land.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Seems Kent Hovind was born in the wrong country.

Notanumber

A Free Man
I suppose he would just get into trouble with something else.

I am guessing he would not qualify.

Apparently, you have to be a practising member of a religious society or order whose beliefs are incompatible with the use of electronic communications.

I wonder what religion that could be.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I am guessing he would not qualify.

Apparently, you have to be a practising member of a religious society or order whose beliefs are incompatible with the use of electronic communications.

I wonder what religion that could be.
I thought you had to be CofE to be 'British' and a UKIP member.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Are you saying that you have to be C of E and a UKIP member to avoid paying tax in the UK?

The Amish are the only ones that I can think of that might qualify.
No, not saying that at all.

You have to be rich to not pay tax; a bit like Rees Mogg, Johnson, Banks and the likes

Notanumber

A Free Man
No, not saying that at all.

You have to be rich to not pay tax; a bit like Rees Mogg, Johnson, Banks and the likes

Are you now saying that you have to be Catholic to avoid paying tax in the UK?

I believe Jacob is a Catholic but I’m not sure about the other two.

Notanumber

A Free Man
It seems it is not just VAT and it has been going on for longer than we thought.

Online filing is against my religion

As Alistair asks, If you are a Jedi knight can you use the force to file your returns?

What a minefield Political Correctness has become.

Religious objections to online filing – again: Harvey v Revenue & Customs | Law & Religion UK

These people won their case but there can’t be many others that would qualify.

Religion Law Blog: Beekeeping, God and Taxes - Blackburn v HMRC

I wonder if there are any mainstream religions that automatically receive an exemption.

If I could find out who the XYZ society are I would be tempted to apply for membership.

COM130065 - COTAX Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK