• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making it Through These Troubled Times...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
By "making it through these troubled times" I was referring to getting through them without becoming morosely depressed or ending up with long term issues. Stuff along those lines.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh I'm the same as you. I wash, I self isolate, and take all the precautions I can ... more to protect others than myself. But I've accepted reality too. That happened about 6 years back with a heart attack. I'm 66 as well. The younger you are, the tougher it is to deal with death.

Do you really think the age of one's body/mind have anything to do with one's ability to deal with death?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
By "making it through these troubled times" I was referring to getting through them without becoming morosely depressed or ending up with long term issues. Stuff along those lines.

I understand completely.

Spiritual thought with regard to one's nature is, for many, useful tool in dealing with depression and physical/mental issues.

I know these crazy Hindus appear to be steering your thread off topic, but I think their contributions are more on topic than you may realize.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It has been my experience you can make it through just about anything provided that

(1) you do not pity yourself -- not even a little --- and,

(2) you keep your sense of humor.​

It has always worked for me. Maybe it will work for you too. But your call. You do what works for you.

It's good sense, it unfortunately does not account for depression. Where self pity simply cannot be helped and sense of humour takes a long, long walk.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Do you really think the age of one's body/mind have anything to do with one's ability to deal with death?
I do actually, although not for all. Just a generalisation. I know i personally have a sense of 'I've lived a good life' more now than say when I was 40, in the midst of supporting 5 kids. But sure, some old folks are really afraid to let it go.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I do actually, although not for all. Just a generalisation. I know i personally have a sense of 'I've lived a good life' more now than say when I was 40, in the midst of supporting 5 kids. But sure, some old folks are really afraid to let it go.

Seems like this might make a good discussion topic, but I won't pursue it here in the interest of keeping the thread on topic. Perhaps I'll start a thread on the subject later today unless you or someone else beats me to it. ;)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's good sense, it unfortunately does not account for depression. Where self pity simply cannot be helped and sense of humour takes a long, long walk.

Honestly, that has not been my experience. I have never experienced a depression in which I was compelled to pity myself or could not see the humor in things. BUT that's me. Not everyone possesses the same exact psychology. Humans are a diverse species.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Honestly, that has not been my experience. I have never experienced a depression in which I was compelled to pity myself or could not see the humor in things. BUT that's me. Not everyone possesses the same exact psychology. Humans are a diverse species.

I have been so involved in self pity that i contemplated suicide. It was only the once and i have promised myself and the family never to get into that situation again. Fingers crossed...
We are all different.