1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Making fun of atheism

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by questfortruth, Oct 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. TagliatelliMonster

TagliatelliMonster Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,585
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Off course it doesn't give further insights about anything else, as that is the only thing "atheism" is about.
    Whatever an atheist believes about big bang and ufo's and ghosts under the bed, are irrelevant to their atheism - which deals only with disbelief of theistic claims.

You'ld have to ask every atheist individually.
    Atheism carries no central doctrine or dogma or worldview or what-have-you. Atheism is just about disbelief in theistic claims. That's it.

The sooner you accept that, the sooner you will stop creating these silly threads.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. TagliatelliMonster

Ratings:
    +9,585
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Well, if golfers were given an underserved / unjustifiable privileged position in society and if a stigma would exist against non-golfers, then I'm sure non-golfers would do so and demand equal rights.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TagliatelliMonster

Ratings:
    +9,585
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Who are you talking about?
    Because never in my life have I seen an atheist make that silly point. Nor do I know a single atheist who would agree to it.

You mean, when you present this strawman, they deny it?
    Off course they do.

All the time ey?

Then surely you have no problems sharing some links to posts from atheists on this forum where that is being said?

Ow?

Now most certainly you are required to post links and support your wild claim.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ratiocinator

ratiocinator Lightly seared on the reality grill.

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Religion:
    none
    This one doesn't.
    Ditto.
    Probably because it isn't true about their position.
    Who says it? I've never made these claims.
    Can't say I've noticed. Do you have an example?

As I've pointed out many times before, not only is 'god', without further definition, meaningless, the lack of evidence and/or reasoning for the claims of theists don't mean that they are necessarily false, just that they haven't made a case to take them seriously.

#44 ratiocinator, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Guitar's Cry

Guitar's Cry Verisimilitudinous

Ratings:
    +3,476
    Religion:
    Panreligious mystical paganism
    Could you elaborate?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Guitar's Cry

Guitar's Cry Verisimilitudinous

Ratings:
    +3,476
    Religion:
    Panreligious mystical paganism
    Could you define your purpose in choosing the term "retarded"?

It appears that you are changing the goalpost from "logical" to "sounding foolish."

7. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,502
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    All you have to do is open your eyes. Every single atheist here claims that they don't believe that God exists because they have no "evidence" of it. Every single one. Which can only mean that they believe that if God exists, they would be able to ascertain sufficient evidence of it, in spite of their irrationally demanding physical evidence for a metaphysical phenomenon. And irrationally assuming that all existence is contained and defined by it's physicality.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Altfish

Altfish Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,391
    Religion:
    Humanist
    One significant difference between believers and atheists is that atheists are very happy to state "I'm not sure" or "I don't know" - we don't need to have an answer for everything. We understand that there are things that are beyond our current knowledge .. that's fine and exciting

• Like Like x 1
  9. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,502
    Religion:
    See post 47

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,502
    Religion:
    Many theist will say the same. But the atheists don't debate with them. They're too reasonable.

11. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35,041
    Religion:
    None
    Provide falsifiable evidence and i can guarantee the the vast majority of Atheists will review it and alter their stance according to the credibility of that evidence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,098
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Most people would agree that there is such a substance known as "gasoline" (although some people incorrectly refer to it as "petrol"), and that it can be measured and verified. Nobody is required to "believe" that there is gasoline in the tank.

If your car stops and the fuel gauge indicates "empty," then it's reasonable to conclude that one is out of gas. No one would say "Have faith, gasoline moves in mysterious ways; we will soon be on our way."

If a gas tank is empty, then people would just accept that at face value, and no amount of wishing, hoping, or praying will ever cause gasoline to magically appear in the tank.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. ratiocinator

ratiocinator Lightly seared on the reality grill.

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Religion:
    none
    Simply doesn't follow. If somebody makes a claim and cannot give any reason to take it seriously, then the rational response is not to take it seriously. All sorts of things may exist for which we have no evidence or rational reason to take seriously (including countless versions of god or gods), but why would I believe that any of them actually do?

This isn't difficult, it's basic logic and sanity. The alternative is to take all claims seriously, which would involve believing multiple contradictory things. That's why there is a burden of proof.

Many theists seem to think their favourite version of god should be some sort exception to how we think about any other claim.
    I'll take any rational reason to take a god claim seriously. I've never demanded it be physical evidence. Yet to see one.
    This is not an assumption I make.

You really do need to ditch the straw men.

• Like Like x 4
  14. A Vestigial Mote

A Vestigial Mote Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,781
    Religion:
    ?
    There had better be SOME evidence... for goodness sake, and it had better not just come from the thoughts of some other human being. That's the real crux of it, I believe. I'm not just going to take your word for it. Why would I? You mostly just seem to make accusations and assumptions - I don't see any worthwhile information there.

There had better be "sufficient evidence" - otherwise what reason is there to believe it? I mean... just THINK (keyword here - take note) of ALL THE THINGS you have insufficient evidence of. Why don't you believe in all of them? Why not? Instead you pick this ONE inane and insignificant idea ("god") and you run with that all over the place like a chicken with its head cut off. Why? What makes that one item you have insufficient evidence for so much more special than all the others?

Show me the "metaphysical evidence" then, and then demonstrate to me why that evidence points to this "metaphysical" thing or realm or whatever mattering in the realm we actually inhabit. And by that I don't mean the idea of abstract thought and things like "love" and "happiness" or concepts that we actually experience or utilize in a mutual fashion - I'm talking about an actual "realm" or "place" where "metaphysical things" can and do exist. Unless you want to admit that something being "in that realm" doesn't mean it actually exists in any pertinent way. Or admit that such a "realm" isn't a "place" at all - and in fact is just the brain child of so many goofballs.

If it exists elsewhere, or "without physicality" then it STILL exists! So share with me whatever evidence there is that demonstrates that existence! And if it is purely "in the mind" then so be it! Done! If we are rational people then we must admit that it has no outward presence - and therefore we must admit that people are entirely rational for not equally believing in the things that exist only in other people's minds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,098
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    On a side note, I was just reading the Wiki article on gasoline (Gasoline - Wikipedia) and found this interesting bit of information:

The term "motor spirit" seems to apply some spiritual qualities to the substance which makes our vehicles go.

"Feel the power of the motor spirit in your car!"

And of course, it would be sinful to change the oil or replace the tires (even if they're worn out and bald). Only true believers would use manual transmission, while those who use automatics are heretics.

16. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35,041
    Religion:
    None

I am a true believer in manual transmission, i like to control my car.

But

But i change oil regularly and replace tyres before wearing down to the markers.

I must be very sinful

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,224
    Atheism doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's just saying the opposite of theism.

I believe pencils exist
    I don't believe pencils exist

I believe love exist
    I don't believe love exist

I believe deities exist
    I don't believe deities exist

Yes, it has no inherent meaning. Theism doesn't either but the latter is much fancier than the former.

18. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,502
    Religion:
    Provide falsifiable evidence that falsifiable evidence is a prerequisite of existence. You folks can't even follow your own proscription. Yet your skepticism never applies to your own presumptions.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. mikkel_the_dane

mikkel_the_dane Shadow Wolf's Aspie sibling

Ratings:
    +2,150
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    No, as an atheist I don't care about that. I only notice that I don't need to believe in gods. As for their metaphysical and ontological status I don't know. Just as I don't know if I am a Boltzmann Brain or nor. Or any other version of what is independent of mind.

20. mikkel_the_dane

mikkel_the_dane Shadow Wolf's Aspie sibling

Ratings:
    +2,150
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    Well, very few people are strong skeptics. I learned skepticism from scientific skeptics and then I moved on to become a general skeptic. We have a least some scientific skeptic here, but I think we are very few general skeptics.