• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making Changes in Your Religion

Moody Giraffe

I've started studying Hinduism with the Himalayan Academy. I think their views on working mothers could be updated. It's honestly the one thing that will keep me from fully dedicating myself to their group. Not every woman wants to be a stay at home mother/wife, and I honestly don't believe it's that harmful for the family if the woman works.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've started studying Hinduism with the Himalayan Academy. I think their views on working mothers could be updated. It's honestly the one thing that will keep me from fully dedicating myself to their group. Not every woman wants to be a stay at home mother/wife, and I honestly don't believe it's that harmful for the family if the woman works.

We have quite a few working women in our membership group, MG. I think the guidelines are already far less stringent , but I could be wrong. I take it just as a strong suggestion, and if possible (husband has to be making substantial money for example).

I can't think of any changes I would make. I'm pretty content with the sampradaya the way it is. Certainly the small size is useful ... more personal contact.

Moody Giraffe

We have quite a few working women in our membership group, MG. I think the guidelines are already far less stringent , but I could be wrong. I take it just as a strong suggestion, and if possible (husband has to be making substantial money for example).

I can't think of any changes I would make. I'm pretty content with the sampradaya the way it is. Certainly the small size is useful ... more personal contact.

That's good, then. I know in the Master Course facebook group there's a lot of posts about women not working, so I assumed it was a big part of the group. Someone was even posting things about red pill philosophy, which is basically a sexist philosophy. So I was getting a bit turned off to it all.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's good, then. I know in the Master Course facebook group there's a lot of posts about women not working, so I assumed it was a big part of the group. Someone was even posting things about red pill philosophy, which is basically a sexist philosophy. So I was getting a bit turned off to it all.

It is and it isn't. Membership is in levels, and in order to be in the final membership bracket, (My wife and I aren't, it takes years) yes, the woman can't be working outside the home. A home based business is fine. But it's okay for the other categories of membership. If you have questions like that, best to email the monk in charge to get the 'latest version' of things rather than going by what's written in the trilogy. Circumstances vary a lot by individual too.

I'm not sure where you are in the course, and I have no idea how many people who take the course go on to become members of SSC. We're not privy to that information. But it is quite traditional, and we do have to take vows, as you probably know already. As Bodhinatha said the other day in one of his talks. "Our fee for diksha is three years of training."