• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making a shrine for the Greek gods

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Okay, I just need some advice here. I consider myself primarily devoted to Athena, so I'm definitely making a shrine to her, I just need some help.

Firstly: what do you suggest I put into a Hellenic shrine besides candles and votive offerings like weapons? I know the Greeks were big on those. Should I burn the offerings I make like the ancients did, or is that not necessary? I get the feeling it isn't, but in another sense like I should.

Also, I want to know if you think it advisable to use one shrine for all, or should I give separate shrines to Athena and other gods?

EyeofOdin

When it comes to Indigenous traditions, including Hellenismos, it's my understanding that it stays within the tradition as long as there's respect in mind and the culture and language of the people in question is used. Other than that, anything goes.

If, however, you're looking for authenticity, Athena's sacred plant was the olive tree, so olives or olive oil might be appreciated. She also enjoys weaponry and owls, so maybe knives, helmets, bullets, depictions of owls, an owl feather etc. would be acceptable.

Remember: the ancient ones didn't give certain offerings because the gods needed or wanted it. Athena will survive without grease and army knives. It's all about the symbol of your adoration, raw exposure to the gods and the respect that a gift demands a gift. If you want something and send happy thoughts, all you will get back are happy thoughts. If you want something and you pour a glass of wine, now that's a start.

The ancient priests and sacrifice facilitators offered olives, goats, pomegranates, grapes and apples because they didn't have corn or Canadian geese from the Americas nor Antelope or native fruits from Southern Africa. They used what they had. Use what the gods provide you with. Don't go too out of your way over orthodoxy and authenticity. That's a Monotheistic and Christian thing to not Polytheistic and Pagan.

Monotheism- mono-one theism-way
One hard an fast rule of worship, period.

Polytheism- poly-many theism-ways
Many, possibly infinite, ways of worship for an open system.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd also add that Athena is the goddess of wisdom. Given that I think a copy of a scholarly book might be fitting to keep in her shrine as a reminder of her attributes. Her association with war is defensive and just war, not aggressive war as her half-brother Ares is associated with. As far as I recall from my interest and studying Greek religion, the ancients built shrines and temples dedicated to one god(dess). The only temple I can think of that is dedicated to all gods if the Pantheon in Rome. It was meant to include all gods, in case any were forgotten.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Both Thorbjorn and EyeofOdin have given good advice. Based on my own experience, I'd agree with keeping shrines to various gods separate. Whatever you put on shrines or altars should speak to you. Putting something there just to have it there won't enhance the practice. I'd resist that voice that tells you that you need to have all the things right now. It's more important to start cultivating a relationship than to have stuff.

GoodbyeDave

The evidence for Antiquity is mostly from Rome and Egypt rather than Greece, but it's all much the same. You have statues or paintings of whatever gods you want, together with ritual equipment: lamp, incense burner, dishes for offerings and libations. Miscellaneous "stuff" is a modern idea.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
what memories...I used to be pagan once, and my religion was the ancient Greek one, just like yours. It is overwhelming to see that an American guy is devoted to Greek deities. Just imagine that my town has three ancient Greek temples (well...what remains of them). The temple of Athena has been transformed into a Christian basilica, unfortunately. But you can still see the huge monolithic columns inside.

as for your question. Athena is a very jealous goddess. She wants a temple only for herself.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh yes, one more thing I'd add... it's wise to not combine deities in the same shrine who don't get along. For example, Athena hates Ares with a passion; Athena and Poseidon don't get along; Hera is not fond of Zeus's other children, so I would not have them anywhere near each other. There are other interactions between the Hellenic gods that need to be considered, considering that they are a passionate and emotional bunch. I still revere some Hindu deities, but because I see them as quite different from the Aesir - for example, alcohol and meat can be offered to the Aesir, but that's an effront to the Hindu deities, I don't cohabitate them in the same shrine.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Thank you for the insight guys. Right, so separate shrine probably best, which I mostly thought already. I get that olives, weapons, and books likely wouldn't go wrong with Athena. What about the burning of offerings? How would I even go about that? I know some burn their gods letters, which is an idea.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What about the burning of offerings? How would I even go about that? I know some burn their gods letters, which is an idea.

I may be off the mark here, and someone can correct me, but perhaps you could do this:

Get a small metal incense burner or any small heat proof vessel, some incense charcoal, light it and add either powdered incense or fragrant herbs. These can be found on-line or in any New Age type shop.

GoodbyeDave

The idea that you can't have more than one idol in your shrine is quite contrary to what the the ancients (and modern ethnic pagans that I know of) actually did. Don't take all those arguments between gods in Homer too seriously: he's a poet, not a theologian.

Views on offerings vary. Some of us, like the ancient Egyptians and modern Indians and Chinese, offer food and eat it ourselves. Otherwise, if you don't have a fire, you can get a little cauldron from a neopagan shop and burn a bit of the offering in that with the aid of some charcoal.

For incense, the easiest thing is a stick. I use a burner that has a wire grid over a night-light, rather than using charcoal.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
When I worshipped Artemis I would research as much as I could about her to work out what else I could add to my altar. I remember having wooden figures of hunting type animals, a picture of her (I couldnt find a statuette), plantlife to represent where she resided. Stuff like that. I still have the picture too.