• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Make America the 6th Greatest Again!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Image rank doesn't matter to me.
Here's a more meaningful ranking....
Index of Economic Freedom - Wikipedia
We've been falling in this measure for a long time.

Another....
https://object.cato.org/sites/cato....x-files/human-freedom-index-2016-update-3.pdf
We're falling here too.
These trends all pre-date Trump.
So he is not the problem...it goes far deeper.
We keep electing leaders who want to curtail liberty.
This matters more than what ferriners think of Americastan.
(Do you notice that each line is longer then the preceding one? Neat!)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
From US at No. 1 to US at No. 6 - well done Donald
Image makes a difference no matter what some may say, and it can affect a country in many different ways, including financially, in time of international conflicts, etc. Trump has made us a laughing stock to most countries that have been surveyed, and even a strong ally like South Korea has Trump's "approval rating" strongly underwater (83% disapproval, if my memory is correct).

And if anyone truly is concerned about personal freedom, they should be really concerned about Trump's disregard to the "rule of law". For just one example, when he chanted "Lock her up!" without a trial, why didn't that send up warning flags?

Like with the Access Hollywood recording, why did so many people vote for a guy who showed us all the signs that he believes and acts as if the rules and the morals don't apply to him? And the concept of Hillary being worse is absolute intellectual dishonesty because of the fact that Trump has been fined numerous times and clearly did things that were morally bankrupt whereas Hillary hasn't-- at least as far as we know. Ah, but we hear the contrived excuses from the "false equivalency" crowd on this and so many other things, thus indicating that admitting wrong does not rank very high on their "morality" list.

As Gandhi said, "To cooperate with evil is evil", and yet this is what so many have done and continue to do. And then we wonder where the breakdown in morality comes from. As the Pogo cartoon said, "I've seen the enemy and it is us!"

Whatever happened to "It's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game"?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Has this ever really mattered? I would say the same thing even if the U.S. were ranked #1 by... someone
{sarcasm follows} If we use the same yardstick we used to assess that Russian trolls influenced the 2016 vote we could reasonably assume that this "report" is just another Russian plot to cause divisiveness within the U.S. and weaken U.N. homogeneity and resolve, The Independent was bought in 2010 by Russian billionaire Alexander Lebedev who has ties to the Kremlin as he was a former KGB agent {end of sarcasm}

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Has this ever really mattered? I would say the same thing even if the U.S. were ranked #1 by... someone
{sarcasm follows} If we use the same yardstick we used to assess that Russian trolls influenced the 2016 vote we could reasonably assume that this "report" is just another Russian plot to cause divisiveness within the U.S. and weaken U.N. homogeneity and resolve, The Independent was bought in 2010 by Russian billionaire Alexander Lebedev who has ties to the Kremlin as he was a former KGB agent {end of sarcasm}
And how do I know that you are not just another Russian plot?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
And how do I know that you are not just another Russian plot?
z199327.jpg

suncowiam

Another....
https://object.cato.org/sites/cato....x-files/human-freedom-index-2016-update-3.pdf
We're falling here too.

Branding does matter because it could be a leading indicator to the economy.

Maybe it would better served to say both matters.

I'm not necessarily blaming Trump. It's too soon. I'm just discussing the branding perspective.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's the top ten list: Nation Brands Index | GfK Global

Nation Brands Index, 2017[12]
Country
2017 rank 2016 rank Score change 2017 vs. 2016
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany 1 2 +0.99
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France 2 5 +1.56
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom 3 3 +1.27
23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
Canada 4 4 +0.96
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan 5 7 +2.12
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States 6 1 -0.63
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy 7 6 +0.74
16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png
Switzerland 8 8 +1.34
23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Australia 9 9 +0.76
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden 10 10 +1.30

I think this is rigged. It's just like the Miss Universe pageant. But in this Nation Brands contest, they don't even have a swimsuit competition.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Another....
We're falling here too.
Those that made up that list hate government spending. Given that they skew right, I'm not surprised in the least.

The corporate-government complex is to me the biggest drag on economic freedom as is evidenced by the tax cut for the big corporations and wealthy but tax increase for the middle and nothing that really helps the engine of growth, small business

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And, oh yes, image matters. And history matters such as how the USA became number 1 in the first place.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Branding does matter because it could be a leading indicator to the economy.

Maybe it would better served to say both matters.

I'm not necessarily blaming Trump. It's too soon. I'm just discussing the branding perspective.
Foreigners' ranking of "brand" doesn't seem linked to the economy.

suncowiam

Foreigners' ranking of "brand" doesn't seem linked to the economy.

I just see it as one big market.

I rank Amazon better in customer service and savings than Walmart. I will naturally buy more from Amazon than Walmart (which I Do!)

Brand is still a very generic term for many things, but assuming all other things being equal. This could very well indicate where investors will invest their money.

I believe the article broke it down to more than just brand so if we use the individual metrics, this could again speculate how and WHERE individual consumers ie. investors, countries, companies... invest their money.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Those that made up that list hate government spending. Given that they skew right, I'm not surprised in the least.
How is the claimed bias relevant?
They show their method of evaluating the countries.
Any objections to that?
The corporate-government complex is to me the biggest drag on economic freedom as is evidenced by the tax cut for the big corporations and wealthy but tax increase for the middle and nothing that really helps the engine of growth, small business
Dang...you got your Marxist mojo go'n on today!