• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major Scottish parties adopt controversial definition of Islamophobia

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
The main political parties in Scotland have almost uniformly adopted a definition of Islamophobia agreed upon by the Westminster 'All Party Parliamentary Group on British Muslims' after years of consideration.

The definition is as follows:

"Islamophobia is rooted in racism and is a type of racism that targets expressions of Muslimness or perceived Muslimness."

This definition has been adopted by the Scottish Conservatives, Scottish Labour, Scottish Liberal Democrats and, I'm sorry (but not surprised) to say, the Scottish Greens - my own party. The Scottish Government is considering formally adopting the definition but has not, to my knowledge, done so yet. Thus the tweet publicising this is not entirely accurate.

British Muslims on Twitter

I'm deeply disappointed and have strong reservations about this. In my opinion, the definition is far too broad, and leaves no room for distinction between legitimate criticism of Islam & aspects of Islam, and tangible incidents of prejudice against Muslims for being Muslim.

This effectively silences groups such as ex-Muslims for whom questioning, criticism or opposing certain Quranic tenets & expressions of Muslims may be a crucial part of healing from any abuse or ill treatment they suffered from Muslims as a result of leaving the faith - as well as those of us for whom the rising influence of Islam & Islamism is a legitimate concern.

In my opinion this, if legislated, will amount to a blasphemy law shielding one religion in particular from any & all criticism in the name of a far more noble goal: stopping its adherents from being subject to prejudiced attacks. And the thing there are actually laws in place that are used to prevent this or punish instances where it does happen. ****ing hell, a man & woman in Edinburgh were jailed for 12 months & 9 months respectively for putting bacon strips on a mosque's door handles. It's not like there aren't laws against this sort of thing already.

I appreciate that it does not yet carry legal force, but the fact almost all major parties in Scotland have adopted it is deeply troubling. The fact that parties are even adopting such a poorly-worded definition is bad enough.

Groups such as Humanists UK have expressed their concern, and I'm sure the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain will release something shortly condemning this. I would not be surprised if it has not already done so and I've simply missed it.

EDIT: Here is a more detailed briefing from Humanists UK explaining their concerns about this.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The main political parties in Scotland have almost uniformly adopted a definition of Islamophobia agreed upon by the Westminster 'All Party Parliamentary Group on British Muslims' after years of consideration.

"Islamophobia is rooted in racism and is a type of racism that targets expressions of Muslimness or perceived Muslimness."

This definition has been adopted by the Scottish Conservatives, Scottish Labour, Scottish Liberal Democrats and, I'm sorry (but not surprised) to say, the Scottish Greens - my own party. The Scottish Government is considering formally adopting the definition but has not, to my knowledge, done so yet. Thus the tweet publicising this is not entirely accurate.

I'm deeply disappointed and have strong reservations about this. In my opinion, the definition is far too broad, and leaves no room for distinction between legitimate criticism of Islam & aspects of Islam, and tangible incidents of prejudice against Muslims for being Muslim.

This effectively silences groups such as ex-Muslims for whom questioning, criticism or opposing certain Quranic tenets & expressions of Muslims may be a crucial part of healing from any abuse or ill treatment they suffered from Muslims as a result of leaving the faith - as well as those of us for whom the rising influence of Islam & Islamism is a legitimate concern.

In my opinion this, if legislated, will amount to a blasphemy law shielding one religion in particular from any & all criticism in the name of a far more noble goal: stopping its adherents from being subject to prejudiced attacks. And the thing there are actually laws in place that are used to prevent this or punish instances where it does happen. ****ing hell, a man & woman in Edinburgh were jailed for 12 months & 9 months respectively for putting bacon strips on a mosque's door handles. It's not like there aren't laws against this sort of thing already.

I appreciate that it does not yet carry legal force, but the fact almost all major parties in Scotland have adopted it is deeply troubling. The fact that parties are even adopting such a poorly-worded definition is bad enough.

Groups such as Humanists UK have expressed their concern, and I'm sure the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain will release something shortly condemning this. I would not be surprised if it has not already done so and I've simply missed it.
How can vilifying a religion be racist in the first place? The definition isn't too well thought-out but then again not too many things these days are.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
How can vilifying a religion be racist in the first place? The definition isn't too well thought-out but then again not too many things these days are.

I suspect the general jist of it is 'if you don't like Islam it must be because you have a thing against brown people'. Not sure if this is the actual justification but that's what it feels like.

Watchmen

Premium Member
The definition specifically uses the word “racism” twice. It doesn’t say you can’t be critical. It says you can’t target Muslims based on rooted racism.

sooda

Veteran Member

EDIT: Here is a more detailed briefing from Humanists UK explaining their concerns about this.

Muslims aren't confused about what a terrorist is... They hate and fear them with cause.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Damn Scots...they ruined Scotland !!!

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
The definition specifically uses the word “racism” twice. It doesn’t say you can’t be critical. It says you can’t target Muslims based on rooted racism.

Who would be the judge of that?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Unfortunately, that is immaterial and serves only to mud perceptions destructively.

By rights, "Islamophobia" should not even be a matter of legal concern. It is an extremely biased and misguided concept to begin with.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Scotland could appoint a committee of mullahs with the
power to indict, try, & punish anyone who offends Islam.
I supposed they could.

Hey, technically they are not even secular at all. Might as well go all-out, if the well being of society is not a consideration.

I sure hope they know better, anyway.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Excellent work from the Humanists UK group. Thanks for the link.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Unfortunately, that is immaterial and serves only to mud perceptions destructively.

By rights, "Islamophobia" should not even be a matter of legal concern. It is an extremely biased and misguided concept to begin with.
Racism is immaterial?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Racism is immaterial?
Tying it to criticism of Islaam is.

That amounts to declaring that two entirely unlike things should be treated as if they were the same - and it turns out that one is legitimate and necessary, while the other is neither.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Tying it to criticism of Islaam is.

That amounts to declaring that two entirely unlike things should be treated as if they were the same - and it turns out that one is legitimate and necessary, while the other is neither.
I wonder what the next absurd step would be....
Criticizing Islam is sexist because there are women who belong?
It's elitist because some Muslims are poor?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I wonder what the next absurd step would be....
Criticizing Islam is sexist because there are women who belong?
It's elitist because some Muslims are poor?
It is biased towards "the west" because there are less Muslims there.

Except that this one has been used a whole not already, and it made no sense even when it was fresh.

On a more serious note, even deciding what counts as Islaam is a dangerous step in and of itself. The Ahmadiyyas are not widely acknowledged by Muslims as fellow Muslims, for instance, and Saudi Arabia does not acknowledge Shia as Islaam.

I wish we could go back in time and inflict such repressive measures into the participants of the Battle of the Camel. Maybe that would have nipped Islaam in the bud right there?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is biased towards "the west" because there are less Muslims there.

Except that this one has been used a whole not already, and it made no sense even when it was fresh.

On a more serious note, even deciding what counts as Islaam is a dangerous step in and of itself. The Ahmadiyyas are not widely acknowledged by Muslims as fellow Muslims, for instance, and Saudi Arabia does not acknowledge Shia as Islaam.

I wish we could go back in time and inflict such repressive measures into the participants of the Battle of the Camel. Maybe that would have nipped Islaam in the bud right there?
We need only figure out which Muslims are "true" Muslims,
& put only their mullahs to sit in judgment of the offenders.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Isn't that the point, though?

Surely what this definition means is that Islamophobia is NOT criticism of the religion of Islam but is, rather, a particular subset of racism (against Arabs and brown-skinned peoples from the Indian sub-continent), that is expressed as hostility to symbols and signs of muslim faith. If that is what is meant then I think it is rather a good definition.