• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maitreya

Shtef

I want to know what people here make of this Maitreya character that is supossedly living in London and on the verge of revealing himself to humanity.

If you're unfamiliar with him look up his name, share international and Benjamin Creme.

Shtef

Engyo said:
His chosen name is Buddhist, but from all appearances, he is not.

That's right, Maitreya is a Buddhist name. How do you think he should appear to be considered Buddhist?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Shtef said:
That's right, Maitreya is a Buddhist name. How do you think he should appear to be considered Buddhist?
Shtef -

There is a generally accepted yardstick for deciding which teachings are Buddhist and which are not. These are known as the Three (sometimes Four) Seals of the Dharma. If a teaching is not in conflict with these core concepts then it can be considered Buddhist in general. They are listed in the following thread as "The three marks of conditioned existence":
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491
If a teaching does not conflict with the concepts of impermanence, not-self, and unsatisfactoriness, then it is provisionally Buddhist. From the little I have read of the gentleman styling himself Maitreya, the things he is teaching do not conform to this standard;thus I do not consider them Buddhist. Admittedly, I have not studied any of his teachings in depth; that is often not required however.

Does this help explain a bit?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Shtef said:
I want to know what people here make of this Maitreya character that is supossedly living in London and on the verge of revealing himself to humanity.

If you're unfamiliar with him look up his name, share international and Benjamin Creme.

Oh for a minute there I thought you meant the one living in Arizona.

Um, Benjamin Creme is already 75 and he is merely "on the verge" of revealing himself?

Is it true that he says Jesus making all those crop circles?

I was looking on his site for info about how he fulfills Buddhist prophecies about the Maitreya, but I'm not seeing them at the moment.

I also looked at his teachings. They seem to be nothing more than the usual stuff modern day gurus glom onto and make into a pastiche of "spirituality." He doesn't seem especially harmful or anything.

Shtef

Engyo said:
Shtef -

There is a generally accepted yardstick for deciding which teachings are Buddhist and which are not. These are known as the Three (sometimes Four) Seals of the Dharma. If a teaching is not in conflict with these core concepts then it can be considered Buddhist in general. They are listed in the following thread as "The three marks of conditioned existence":
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491
If a teaching does not conflict with the concepts of impermanence, not-self, and unsatisfactoriness, then it is provisionally Buddhist. From the little I have read of the gentleman styling himself Maitreya, the things he is teaching do not conform to this standard;thus I do not consider them Buddhist. Admittedly, I have not studied any of his teachings in depth; that is often not required however.

Does this help explain a bit?

very much so. thank you

arthra

Baha'i
"I want to know what people here make of this Maitreya character that is supossedly living in London and on the verge of revealing himself to humanity."

My response:

How can you be "on the verge" of revealing yourself for years and years? I recall hearing about this forty years ago I think.

The Maitreyya is a Messianic figure and one that is very interesting to study. I found that even in Zoroastrianism there is a similar figure called Saoshyant and at least one scholar believed this influenced the concept of Maitreya later around the area of Afganistan.

We Baha'is believe Maitreya appeared as Baha'u'llah..or rather that Baha'u'llah fulfilled that prophecy. Some of my Buddhist friends don't share that belief but that doesn't really spoil our friendship.

- Art

arthra

Baha'i
To add something from my previous post:

Does the qoute below from the Wikipedia on the "last" Saoshyant sound a little like the Maitreya concept?

"The last Saoshyant will bring about the final judgement of humanity and will secure the harmony of the world.
"Since He is (the One) to be chosen by the world therefore the judgment emanating from truth itself (to be passed) on the deeds of good thought of the world, as well as the power, is committed to Mazda Ahura whom (people) assign as a shepherd to the poor."

--Yasna 27:13, the Ahuna Vairya prayer