• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mahabharata?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I love my abridged translation by Ramesh Menon, and I only mention it because he does have a complete one, as well. I have always been pleased with his translations, and I am sure the complete version is wonderful... I just wish I could afford it.

WonderingWanderer

Love for all religions
I love my abridged translation by Ramesh Menon, and I only mention it because he does have a complete one, as well. I have always been pleased with his translations, and I am sure the complete version is wonderful... I just wish I could afford it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked on Amazon and the "modern rendering" 2 volume one gets really great reviews. Maybe going for a non-abridged is a little too ambitious and so this seems like a good place to start!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
That Modern Rendering is the one I have and love. The complete translation isn't on Amazon to my knowledge(think I saw it on Exotic Art India).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, it may be a little tedious to go through an old translation, but many a times they are by scholars, and not by people wanting to earn money by writing a book or people jacking up their biases. Old translations have their own value. That is why no other translation of RigVeda for me but Ralph Griffith's.
Kisari Mohan Ganguly's tanslation of Mahabharata also is one such. You can find it at Sacred-texts.com or Internet Archives.org.
It is so old that we have even changed the spelling of 'Kisari'. It is now 'Kesari' meaning 'saffron". :D