• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maha Shivaratri 2021

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Maha Shivaratri (Great Night of Shiva) is less than two weeks away (March 11).

If you observe this festival, how do you plan on celebrating this year?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

We did Thai Pusam at home by moving the murthi to the center (and in front) of the main home mandir. In temples (South Indian variety) festivals are often celebrated by shifting the deities in the vasnatha mandapam (separate shrine for festival deities) so that whomever is being celebrated takes center stage. This happens for Nataraja, Amman, Murugan etc., moreso for parades, but also just to celebrate.
So we'll put the lingam we have on a pedestal in the large abhishekham tray we have, and do abhishekahm with water, milk, yoghurt, sandalwood, vibhuthi, honey, and fruit, at least.

I know many of the necessary chants from my limited training years ago. During abhishekham there will be aarti after each substance. Finally we'll place Sadasivalingesvara back in His regular spot, and decorate with garlands, new clothes, etc. The final puja will include the astottaram times 10, because I don't have a copy of the sahasranama, and you lose some bhakti while reading.

We'll start at 7, finish around 10, and then decide if we want to continue for even part of the night, but most likely not. I find staying up all night, at this chronological age is like jet lag recovery for a month. But maybe until midnight.

You?

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I may request the day off work and probably just meditate and perhaps watch some of Sadhguru's live stream that is scheduled to run from 6pm-6am IST (7:30am-7:30pm my time).

I agree with you on the "up all night" thing. I'm not wired for that, and I'd probably be useless the next day at work.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Vinayaka spelling: Sadasivalingeswara/r (South Indian style, optional). :)

We will celebrate Shivaratri as usual without much fanfare at our home puja enclosure, though it used to be the most important festival for Kashmiri brahmins.. It could have been something like 16'x11', but my son did not agree to my planning, Ishwareccha, so to say. Wife, the religious motivator in the family will have a full-day fast (I will ask her for further details).
Shiva is my friend, he is always in my heart along with all other Gods and Goddesses (that does not mean that I am not an atheist), but does not ask me to fast, he knows me better than I know myself. At least my wife and daughter-in-law will visit the neighborhood Shiva temple if not my son and grandsons.

I have described it earlier also. We Kashmiris play a small skit on Shivaratri. At midnight, the door of the house is closed but an elder family member remains outside. Then he would knock on the door. Chidren inside will ask as to who is there. The person will reply in a gruff voice "Ram Braur" (Rama, the cat). Then the children would ask as to what he has brought. 'Ram Braur' then enumerate all good things, health, prosperity, etc., including presents and sweets for children. With that assurance the door is opened and 'Ram braur' enters in. I do not understand why did they add 'Ram braur' in the proceedings.

BTW, it is my elder grandsons 18th birthday the day after tomorrow. Yeah, once in a life happening.
(Today it was my daughter-in-law's birthday)
Namah Shivaya.

Details: Whole day fast. Non-cereal things, milk, tea, fruits allowed. Potato, Sweet Potato, sago, lotus seeds, water chestnut, buckwheat preparations allowed, if someone is really hungry. My wife manages without much.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The temple I go to here is connected to Chidambaram, and the small lingam installed was blessed there, as well as a large archana/puja for the entire board of trustees back in 1982. He (Sadasivalingeswara) returned just in time for Shivaratri. There were brand new light bulbs on the new temporary shrine. At the very moment the abhishekham began, one of the bulbs popped, indicating we were doing something right. Electric vibration indeed.

Back then I stayed up all night. (As the pandaram priest, I had to.) 39 years ago.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम

Shiva Chalisa, fasting, singing bhajans. I wish I had a chance to go to the temple an hour away, but I don't know that I will be able to.