• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Magic Practitioners: Questions about magic.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That's where I tried to post this originally, but as a DIR I didn't have posting privileges.

You can always edit your DIR access. :) I'm sure the mods wouldn't mind if it was for respectful questions, and/or general curiosity.

What methods do you use personally and what are some successful results you've had?

I like Ray, will probably PM that to you, if you don't do a DIR post. Too liable for people to denigrate in the open.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You can always edit your DIR access. :) I'm sure the mods wouldn't mind if it was for respectful questions, and/or general curiosity.

True.

I like Ray, will probably PM that to you, if you don't do a DIR post. Too liable for people to denigrate in the open.

I might ask the mods to move it there, although I don't think debate is allowed in interfaith discussions.

Edit: I put the request in.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
For those of you who incorporate magic into your belief system, how do you personally define it, in what ways do you practice it, and in what ways have you successfully employed it?
I don't believe in magic but I know that it "works" on people who do believe in it (it's called the placebo effect). So, my heathen friends would say that I do magic (healing, mostly) while I don't.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Energy and intent placed into ritual to bring about a goal through psychological and/or spiritual means. I say and/or cuz there are atheist and agnostic witches who do magick but it's solely psychological and not spiritual. I personally do magick through both means as I believe most witchcraft is really just spicy psychology however I also acknowledge a spiritual element.

Edit:
I also acknowledge this definition leaves out magick that is actually medicine like something that is drunk to help get well. For that form of magick this would be my defination: Energy, intent and herbs put forth through ritual in an effort to heal someone. This could be dangerous if done wrong or without the understanding of herbs or if done without actual medical care or consulting a doctor/pharmacist. Certain herbs can be used to treat certain illnesses but I wouldn't use them for everything and I'd rather consult a doctor then do a ritual by itself to cure an illness. Magick should only be used to assist medical care not replace it

Spicy psychology...I love it!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
What methods do you use personally and what are some successful results you've had?

So, I use multiple different methods.

It really depends on the occasion, and/or what I want to try and accomplish. My main method is Divination, using either Runes or Tarot.

But I've also done healing spells with Candles and Herbs.

And Cursed someone from my past who was rather detrimental to me.

I'm not sure what you mean as far as "successful results" though? Are you talking immediate tangible benefits? A goal being accomplished through Magick? Or?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Completely different. Protection not divination. FYI many Xians have worn a cross
for similar purpose for centuries it's common practice so don't get all high & righteous.

Amulet - Wikipedia

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to come across that way.
I just wanted to ask a question, nothing more.

And FYI, I think your comment about Xians & the cross is apropos! We as
JW’s do not use such relics.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Anything where you would consider magic as the cause or a significant influence.

Hmm, well when I cursed the person that had severely harmed me, he subsequently dropped off the map. All socials gone, etc.

I've used divination to guide decisions that I would say I've found to get
beneficial advice from.

I did a lot of healing work around the time my wife was hospitalized with Covid. And she has pulled out of it far better then she could have.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've done a few things as well, and had significant results. Some were subtle, where you could possibly wonder what the cause was... others were notable, and a little surprising.

I've also had workings flop.

PearlSeeker

For those of you who incorporate magic into your belief system, how do you personally define it, in what ways do you practice it, and in what ways have you successfully employed it?
I would define magic as using gestures, words, symbols and objects in a magical way - believing that they can evoke a magical power that can change the reality in a supernatural way.

Some people see Catholic rituals as magic (but Catholics themselves don't). I used to use the blessed water a lot (for protection/blessing of people and place). Hard to tell how successful it was. I don't know if it's much different than wishing somebody all the best. I still bless (and thank for) the food before we eat it. Even if doesn't change the food it influences our attitude towards food - gratitude, respect, enjoyment...

amorphous_constellation

I use the marsielle tarot. It is used idiosyncratically. Generally you draw cards, and think about how they are interrelated. The fool card seems to journey toward the world card. There is a lot in-between