• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Magic Practitioners: Questions about magic.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
For those of you who incorporate magic into your belief system, how do you personally define it, in what ways do you practice it, and in what ways have you successfully employed it?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For those of you who incorporate magic into your belief system, how do you personally define it, in what ways do you practice it, and in what ways have you successfully employed it?
I don't incorporate magic into my understanding of reality.

I'd define magic as the alteration of reality independently of the rules of reality.

Claims of miracles are thus claims of magic.

I'm not aware of any authenticated cases, nor any testable hypothesis as to how that might work.

I think in many cases it's a distinguishing features of religious thought that no curiosity is displayed nor enquiry pursued into how miracles might actually be brought about.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!

I once played the classic Black Lotus + Channel + Fireball combo on turn one and killed my opponent.

You were talking about Magic The Gathering, right?

Jokes aside, Talismans and amulets of protection, luck, and just about every kind of purpose
were common in medieval Judaism and I'd imagine, for everyone else too. I had a book of
such Jewish amulets, a rather rare book, I sold for $400 a while back. I made one of them,
but hard to tell if it worked. Ever hear of the Golem of Prague? That's a classic tale.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Well, I only use psychological magic in that I sometimes chose to change a subset of beliefs in that I change my mind by believing differently. And I consider it magic in a sense, because it only works because I believe in it.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Energy and intent placed into ritual to bring about a goal through psychological and/or spiritual means. I say and/or cuz there are atheist and agnostic witches who do magick but it's solely psychological and not spiritual. I personally do magick through both means as I believe most witchcraft is really just spicy psychology however I also acknowledge a spiritual element.

Edit:
I also acknowledge this definition leaves out magick that is actually medicine like something that is drunk to help get well. For that form of magick this would be my defination: Energy, intent and herbs put forth through ritual in an effort to heal someone. This could be dangerous if done wrong or without the understanding of herbs or if done without actual medical care or consulting a doctor/pharmacist. Certain herbs can be used to treat certain illnesses but I wouldn't use them for everything and I'd rather consult a doctor then do a ritual by itself to cure an illness. Magick should only be used to assist medical care not replace it

Last edited:

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I would say it is a highly ritualized form of prayer, with the difference that one does not "plead to" deities/"powers" but "commands" them.

I have sometimes wondered if certain forms of Hinduism overlap with magic, as some rituals require detailed rules to be followed, e.g. timing, correct recitation of prayers, cleanliness of the body (taking a bath) and clothing, type of flowers/color powders to be offered, etc.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I have sometimes wondered if certain forms of Hinduism overlap with magic, as some rituals require detailed rules to be followed, e.g. timing, correct recitation of prayers, cleanliness of the body (taking a bath) and clothing, type of flowers/color powders to be offered, etc.

Mantras, Ritual, and deity offerings can all be considered forms of Magick. Imo

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Magick is using ones will and intent to bring bout changes in the physical, emotional, or spiritual world. This can be any number of things: Ritual, Prayer, Chanting, Asking a God/dess for intercession, divination, the wearing of particular amulets or talismans to some end (protection, confidence etc).

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Also, if you want to ask questions without all the naysayers and atheists, there is a sub DIR for magic: Magic DIR. It's in Other Religious Movements and Practices.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Magick is using ones will and intent to bring bout changes in the physical, emotional, or spiritual world. This can be any number of things: Ritual, Prayer, Chanting, Asking a God/dess for intercession, divination, the wearing of particular amulets or talismans to some end (protection, confidence etc).
What methods do you use personally and what are some successful results you've had?