• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MAGA Won't Be Over Even If Trump Loses

Wandering Monk

For instance:

A Michigan attorney was charged last year in a scheme to gain illegal access to voting machines in the state while former President Donald Trump was challenging the results in 2020. Now that attorney is running for a seat on the state’s highest court.​
“I am going to put a down ballot nonpartisan race in the national spotlight,” DePerno wrote on X in response to another user. The attorney previously ran for Michigan Attorney General and was endorsed by Trump over another GOP candidate seeking to unseat Democratic Attorney General Dana Nessel. Nessel won against DePerno in the 2022 race.​
After losing the attorney general race, DePerno announced he was running for chair of the Michigan Republican Party but ultimately lost to fellow Trump supporter and election denier Kristina Karamo in 2023. Karamo was recently ousted from the position by party members.​
DePerno is the latest Trump supporter to seek office after helping Trump and his allies overturn the 2020 election result to keep the former president in office. He was charged last year with undue possession of a voting machine and other felonies as part of an investigation — led by a special prosecutor — into vote machine tampering in the state.​
DePerno’s attorney told NPR his client believes the charges are politically motivated. Nessell recused herself from the probe due to the conflict of interest.​
In December 2020, as the Trump campaign sought to halt or interfere with the certification of Biden’s win in multiple states, the court denied a bid to stop the certification of Michigan’s results so an investigation could take place into unsubstantiated allegations of voter fraud. Justice Viviano dissented.​
In December of last year, the court affirmed a lower court decision allowing Trump to remain on the ballot and declined to review the question of whether Trump is allegedly ineligible under the 14th Amendment’s Insurrection Clause.​

Pogo

For instance:

A Michigan attorney was charged last year in a scheme to gain illegal access to voting machines in the state while former President Donald Trump was challenging the results in 2020. Now that attorney is running for a seat on the state’s highest court.​
“I am going to put a down ballot nonpartisan race in the national spotlight,” DePerno wrote on X in response to another user. The attorney previously ran for Michigan Attorney General and was endorsed by Trump over another GOP candidate seeking to unseat Democratic Attorney General Dana Nessel. Nessel won against DePerno in the 2022 race.​
After losing the attorney general race, DePerno announced he was running for chair of the Michigan Republican Party but ultimately lost to fellow Trump supporter and election denier Kristina Karamo in 2023. Karamo was recently ousted from the position by party members.​
DePerno is the latest Trump supporter to seek office after helping Trump and his allies overturn the 2020 election result to keep the former president in office. He was charged last year with undue possession of a voting machine and other felonies as part of an investigation — led by a special prosecutor — into vote machine tampering in the state.​
DePerno’s attorney told NPR his client believes the charges are politically motivated. Nessell recused herself from the probe due to the conflict of interest.​
In December 2020, as the Trump campaign sought to halt or interfere with the certification of Biden’s win in multiple states, the court denied a bid to stop the certification of Michigan’s results so an investigation could take place into unsubstantiated allegations of voter fraud. Justice Viviano dissented.​
In December of last year, the court affirmed a lower court decision allowing Trump to remain on the ballot and declined to review the question of whether Trump is allegedly ineligible under the 14th Amendment’s Insurrection Clause.​
Yes, the wave of right wing populism has not crested yet and probably won't until we have some sort of crisis to reunite us around a center that brings the extremes toward the center. Hopefully not a war, but that often works, maybe dealing with climate change, but the time-scales are nearly incomprehensible for many.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
This move to the right goes beyond national and into international, and it's a very dangerous trend. When the love of $ and what it can buy becomes the #1 concern, watch out.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I mean I don't disagree, but it just feels like the daily low-effort trump thread at this point.
What is there to discuss?
If we see this as being an international trend towards the right, I think discussing possible implications is quite kosher.

Pogo

I mean I don't disagree, but it just feels like the daily low-effort trump thread at this point.

Trump is the symptom, not the cause, what brought this sense of alienation and isolationism on such that this populist attack of the elites and conflation of them with traditional government. Where do we go from here especially understanding that populism often leads to authoritarianism and eventually collapse.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Yes, the wave of right wing populism has not crested yet and probably won't until we have some sort of crisis to reunite us around a center that brings the extremes toward the center. Hopefully not a war, but that often works, maybe dealing with climate change, but the time-scales are nearly incomprehensible for many.
I don't see any unification with MAGAs, and the MAGA mind set. They are intolerant, angry, and uncooperative. I can see MAGA dying off like the tea party did, or the KKK has. MAGA offers very little to too few. The new wave of MAGA will likely be some sort of relabeled Christian nationalism, but as long as it is fractured and fails to win elecions the supporters will lose interest. Extremists feed off of their own energy, and if they lose, lose, lose they will deflate.

Pogo

It is also relevant and far better served by addressing international developments.
This populist momentum is not even really discussable without recognizing the same trends internationally, Hungary, Poland, France, Germany Israel, just a partial list from the west. Liberal democracy is under attack from within by people who think it has failed them and unfortunately falling into the blow it up solution rather than a unemotional analysis of how to fix it.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Why many feel apathy and don't realize MAGA poses a serious threat to national and global security.

Pogo

I don't see any unification with MAGAs, and the MAGA mind set. They are intolerant, angry, and uncooperative. I can see MAGA dying off like the tea party did, or the KKK has. MAGA offers very little to too few. The new wave of MAGA will likely be some sort of relabeled Christian nationalism, but as long as it is fractured and fails to win elecions the supporters will lose interest. Extremists feed off of their own energy, and if they lose, lose, lose they will deflate.
Yes the Trump hero worship will be short lived just as H. Ross Pee rot was, but the disaffection of the class that feels itself ignored by the "elites" and put upon by change isn't going away here or elsewhere without a refocus that equalizes socioeconomic strata.

Pogo

It's not that I am suggesting the thread isn't kosher, it just doesn't taste very good to me.

I agree completely, I don't see anything mentioned in this thread that hasn't been rehashed excessively already.
Because we are still in the depression stage with others still in denial, if you have reached acceptance, please enlighten us.