• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Macron Defeats Le Pen to Win Second Term

F1fan

Veteran Member
Europe is saved.

Now on to save Ukraine.

Russian voters need to take a lesson from the French voters, authoritarian leaders can't be trusted.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Russian voters need to take a lesson from the French voters, authoritarian leaders can't be trusted.

There are no free elections in Russia, so assuming Russian voters need to take any lessons seems to me a bit of a premature stretch. It's quite possible they would vote Putin out of office if they could.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Macron elected for second term as French president, leads Le Pen 58.2%-41.8% (Ipsos estimate)

Macron may not be a good president, but he seems to me the lesser evil here. A loss for a far-right presidential candidate is an aversion of a political disaster.

Congratulations to France for yet again shunning Le Pen's nationalistic demagoguery.

Agreed. Congratulations to the French people for voting sensibly and in their own self-interest.

The following is more like what I expect from American voters. Yesterday, Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren said, “I think we’re gonna be in real trouble [in the midterms] if we don’t get up and deliver. I am glad to talk about what we’ve done, obviously, and I think the president deserves real credit, but it’s not enough. We’ve got less than 200 days until the election and American families are hurting. Our job, while we are here in the majority, is to deliver on behalf of those families.” She's implying that American voters would turn to the Republicans to help their families, and she's probably correct.

Shaul

Premium Member
Europe is saved.

Now on to save Ukraine.

The difference is stark. France: voter identification/results known as soon as the polls close. U.S.: no voter identification/results disputed and non-certified for months.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The difference is stark. France: voter identification/results known as soon as the polls close. U.S.: no voter identification/results disputed and non-certified for months.

I'll continue a little from my previous post. Not only are votes counted as they occur each voter must present a photo ID. So identification is made before the vote is cast.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Agreed. Congratulations to the French people for voting sensibly and in their own self-interest.

The following is more like what I expect from American voters. Yesterday, Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren said, “I think we’re gonna be in real trouble [in the midterms] if we don’t get up and deliver. I am glad to talk about what we’ve done, obviously, and I think the president deserves real credit, but it’s not enough. We’ve got less than 200 days until the election and American families are hurting. Our job, while we are here in the majority, is to deliver on behalf of those families.” She's implying that American voters would turn to the Republicans to help their families, and she's probably correct.
It could be the democrats know history and election patterns and have some policies to present this summer. Much of what democrats have done under Biden are big picture policies that are long term solutions. While crucial they aren't directly helping families. Some of the infrastructure investments that Biden has pushed through have been bragging points by republicans who voted against these investments. I hope these hypocrites get exposed and thrown out for representatives and senators that vote for what they know helps society.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Actually most states now require ID, so I'm not sure why you think there isn't. And there was no fraud problem that IDs fixed. As we recall republicans were using ID laws as a way to alienate impoverished citizens to help limit their numbers, and who were expected to vote democrat. Of course this didn't help republicans, and made them look less ethical.

And result disputes have no resulted in any siginifant problems. there have been data issues, b ut everything has been remedied and explained. The far-right republicans were pushing broad voter fraud yet have never been able to demonstrate these claims are true. More unethical behavior.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Nonsense. There's no voter ID in the UK and we know the results within 24hrs. (The official French results are not out yet, by the way. These are just projections.)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
France uses a different method than most countries, votes are counted on an ongoing basis throughout the day

Not just exit polls: Why French election projections are almost always correct
There are certain aspects of our elections that are mired in the past. In most states mail in ballots cannot be counted until after the polls close and they take longer to count than it takes to get information from voting machines. As a result many close states showed Trump with an early lead that evaporated as the night went on. But there were a few states where workers were sworn to secrecy and they counted the mail in ballots as they came in. One more note, due to Covid Biden advocated mail in ballots and Trump was for in person voting.

As a result even conservative Ohio had Biden in the lead at the start. Ohio is one of the few states that count mail in ballots early. In the other states where they counted them later Trump would start off strong and his lead would die a slow but beautiful death.