• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mabon

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Happy Mabon to all of you.

What is Mabon about? I realize that it's the beginning of fall (I almost said spring on accident :p), but what does it mean to you? Do you even celebrate it as a Pagan/Neopagan?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
In Heathenry, we observe today Harvest's End. It signifies the end of the summer cycle, and the transition into the winter cycle - which won't begin in full until October 21st with Winter Nights (Vetrnætr). With Harvest's End, we prepare for the coming cold, and give offerings to Odin and Frigga (otherwise known during this time as Jölföðr and Frau Holle) for their roles in the winter half; with both the Wild Hunt (Northern) and seasonal snowfalls.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Happy Mabon to all of you.

What is Mabon about? I realize that it's the beginning of fall (I almost said spring on accident :p), but what does it mean to you? Do you even celebrate it as a Pagan/Neopagan?

In my beliefs, Mabon is the time of year where the goddess Kore descends to the Underworld to be with Plouton as his Queen and her mother Demeter, in her grief, curses the land to be cold & barren until Kore ascends from the Underworld to return to her. Also, Dionysos sheds his roaring, heat-bringing, burning aspect Bakcheos and becomes torch-wielding Iakchos who guides our ancestors up from Hades to join us for Samhain when we honour them.

My friends and I will be holding a group social where we'll drink to honour Dionysos as he transforms from Bakheos to Iakchos.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Autumn Equinox doesn't officially kick off until tomorrow in my time zone, but essentially it's Thanksgiving - a big harvest festival. I'm hoping to go collect some prairie seed for the local county conservation group tomorrow.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
In my practice, the fall equinox marks the end of the season of Simmer, and the beginning of Fall. I used to, but no longer do, use the common "European" names for the astronomical events of the year (e.g., Mabon). I usually have a small bonfire (small being a relative term, of course) and dance and sing around it, thanking the spirits for being there and for what they've done for us, and apologize for the harms we've caused, and to clear the way for the continuation of the year cycle.

By the way, we've been having some wonderful July weather the last few weeks here...in September...