• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MA Priest calls for Pope Benedict to resign

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
This guy has courage... good for him. I like his line "the only reason they are doing the right thing, is they were caught doing the wrong thing."

challupa

I think this should happen. There is far too much against the credibility of the current pope and he does have to lead and have the backing of his church. I'm not sure that is possible anymore.

A

angellous_evangellous

"Admit what they knew and when" OR "step down."

It should be "admit..." AND "step down."

Scott1

Nothing is going to change until there are a few Bishops who start saying the same things....

**sigh**

Just_me_Mike

Let me get this right. The pope who thinks of himself as appointed by God to reside over his chosen people, allows criminal activities within his organization to be handled differently than ordinary citizens.

That's priceless!

A

angellous_evangellous

If the Pope were to step down, is there another viable candidate who hasn't been tainted by the same set of scandals?

That's another problem.

They would have to choose a younger cardinal who did not serve in the 1980s. So they will have to put in a middle aged man who could serve for up to 50 years or more... quite a long tenure.

It seems to me that everyone who is qualified to vote for the Pope has served the church during the era which sexual abuse was considered a matter of confession or therapy that could be handled "in house." Now that the church considers it a crime, only the most recent church leaders would be even qualified (that is, not de facto a part of the cover-up.

Scott1

If the Pope were to step down, is there another viable candidate who hasn't been tainted by the same set of scandals?
I'm sure there has to be at least ONE person in the priesthood who has not been "tainted"... a few Catholic commentators mentioned those Cardinals who have not run a Diocese... it seems the only way these idiots can't sin is too be so far removed from any human contact that it becomes impossible!

Alas, the Pope will NEVER step down and can not be removed... all I can pray for is that the Holy Father soon gets to be with JPII and his replacement has the courage to actually ACT like an Apostle instead of a cowardly functionary.

challupa

That's another problem.

They would have to choose a younger cardinal who did not serve in the 1980s. So they will have to put in a middle aged man who could serve for up to 50 years or more... quite a long tenure.

It seems to me that everyone who is qualified to vote for the Pope has served the church during the era which sexual abuse was considered a matter of confession or therapy that could be handled "in house." Now that the church considers it a crime, only the most recent church leaders would be even qualified (that is, not de facto a part of the cover-up.
Maybe they should put the rules aside and make this priest pope. I know, I know, he isn't qualified. However, if courage and decency are qualifications, he is eligible!!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm sure there has to be at least ONE person in the priesthood who has not been "tainted"... a few Catholic commentators mentioned those Cardinals who have not run a Diocese... it seems the only way these idiots can't sin is too be so far removed from any human contact that it becomes impossible!
I suppose one of the few bishops who has taken a stance against the Church's approach to the issue might be a compromise as well, but I don't know whether any of them are viable candidates in political terms.

Alas, the Pope will NEVER step down and can not be removed... all I can pray for is that the Holy Father soon gets to be with JPII and his replacement has the courage to actually ACT like an Apostle instead of a cowardly functionary.
Wait... did you really just wish death on the Pope?!

Scott1

Let me get this right. The pope who thinks of himself as appointed by God to reside over his chosen people, allows criminal activities within his organization to be handled differently than ordinary citizens.
Not really sure what "appointed by God to reside over his chosen people" actually means, but it doesn't sound close to what the Papacy actually is:

"The Pope, Bishop of Rome and Peter's successor, "is the perpetual and visible source and foundation of the unity both of the bishops and of the whole company of the faithful."
Catechism of the Catholic Church #882

Hope that helps.

Just_me_Mike

Is the wish for death of another being anti-God? Even one that might condone or at least tolerate child molestation.

I'll tell you this, if my son was part of an organization like the RCC and was raped or whatever, and I found out it was simply prayed about and forgiveness granted, I would probably go ape ****!

Just_me_Mike

Not really sure what "appointed by God to reside over his chosen people" actually means, but it doesn't sound close to what the Papacy actually is:

"The Pope, Bishop of Rome and Peter's successor, "is the perpetual and visible source and foundation of the unity both of the bishops and of the whole company of the faithful."
Catechism of the Catholic Church #882

Hope that helps.
Oh sure, I get it friend. Just the idea that this organization is starting to look like a joke, and associates itself with a perfect being like whatever God is suppose to be, makes God look like just as big a joke.

Scott1

I suppose one of the few bishops who has taken a stance against the Church's approach to the issue might be a compromise as well, but I don't know whether any of them are viable candidates in political terms.
NONE of them comes close to what I would hope for, but my standards might be a bit harsh.
Hehe... may we BOTH soon see the face of God in heaven... and well, maybe one of us sooner than the other (**cough** HIM! **cough**) :)

I love him and his theology (he is 10 times as smart as JPII) and he has helped me personally more than any other writer these past few years, BUT..... he just simply is not "Pope" material. He is a teacher and theologian ..... and it is awful that these weak men are often put in charge of the safety and well being of others (sometimes millions of people) when they don't have the leadership or training to be an effective manager at a fast-food restaurant.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Is the wish for death of another being anti-God? Even one that might condone or at least tolerate child molestation.
Dunno. I just found it surprising.

Personally, I don't think the Catholic Church is valuable enough to justify taking of life, even if it's the life of the current Pope (who I don't look too highly upon, to put it mildly).

I'll tell you this, if my son was part of an organization like the RCC and was raped or whatever, and I found out it was simply prayed about and forgiveness granted, I would probably go ape ****!
I'd probably feel the same way.

In fact, if it were up to my wife alone, there'd be a good chance my future kids would go to a Catholic school. The sex abuse scandal has taken me from "I've got serious objections to that idea" to "there's no frickin' way I'm letting them near our kids".