• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lyft or Uber?

Lyft or Uber?

• Lyft

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Uber

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Either

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I just realized I've been doing Lyft for a year now.:eek:
Would normally be driving today, but meh. I feel like crap and I'm enjoying my last of the house to myself.
What do you think of the AB5 bill that was recently passed?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And if anyone is wondering about pay, weekdays I make what averages to around $20/hour, weekends $25-$30+/hour (or double or more what I got to do case management in mental health ($13/hour), including working with kids and being a service provider for child services).
Now, I did have to basically figure out how to get that much by knowing where to be and when for rides, and when I first started out I was making, even on weekends, about $10-$15/hour. But once I started to get that figured out I began to be able to rely on a steady income from it that is far more than I've ever made before, just for driving people around.
And what really saves me is I had to learn how to work on my own car, so doing all that stuff myself saves tons of money (and probably makes this possible to make a profit not having hefty mechanic bills).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm not sure. As far as I can tell absolutely nothing has changed. But, I do worry it may impede the ability to work whenever I want/can, which is something that helps me tremendously with my health ailments.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I can say though I would really like to see an earnings floor. Not often, but a few times things happen and the income is abysmal. Like getting plagued with short rides that only pay 2 - 3 dollars. I ended a Saturday with $80 once because of that, when normally it's closer to $200 - $300 at least. It's been a rare occurrence, but for the gas and maintenance such days are horrifically stressful.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Your thoughts?

I drove for both briefly. At the time, Lyft was the only one who had a built in tip feature on their app. They paid about the same, I made better tips from Lyft per capita, but got more rides from Uber.

When I leave my car at home, I use Lyft.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Your thoughts?
Generally neither. Both businesses are exploitative.

I used Uber twice in Europe because I had no other choice (the local cab company's app couldn't handle two-factor authentication on a Canadian phone) and because I assumed it was less exploitative than in North America (which was probably a bad assumption, in retrospect). Apart from that, I've made a conscious decision not to use either service.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not sure. As far as I can tell absolutely nothing has changed. But, I do worry it may impede the ability to work whenever I want/can, which is something that helps me tremendously with my health ailments.
But you're being "exploited"!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And if anyone is wondering about pay, weekdays I make what averages to around $20/hour, weekends $25-$30+/hour (or double or more what I got to do case management in mental health ($13/hour), including working with kids and being a service provider for child services).
Now, I did have to basically figure out how to get that much by knowing where to be and when for rides, and when I first started out I was making, even on weekends, about $10-$15/hour. But once I started to get that figured out I began to be able to rely on a steady income from it that is far more than I've ever made before, just for driving people around.
And what really saves me is I had to learn how to work on my own car, so doing all that stuff myself saves tons of money (and probably makes this possible to make a profit not having hefty mechanic bills).
But what does that work out to net?

Even if you do your own maintenance, that still costs money (albeit less than if a mechanic was doing it) and you're still racking up wear and tear on a car that will have to be replaced eventually.

And there's insurance: does your insurer know about your Uber driving (and presumably increased your rates because of it), or are you just rolling the dice and hoping you don't have to make a claim?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
ut what does that work out to net?
Generally a few dollars less on the hour after daily expenses. And still way more than I made doing case management and working with child services.
Even if you do your own maintenance, that still costs money (albeit less than if a mechanic was doing it) and you're still racking up wear and tear on a car that will have to be replaced eventually.
True. However I set aside a pinch of salt earnings for that reason. All in all, what goes into expenses pretty much makes it comes out to an amount as though I were paying taxes on it, and not being taxed to death. It takes a day of getting an unusual amount of short rides or lack of business to make it not worth my time.
And there's insurance: does your insurer know about your Uber driving (and presumably increased your rates because of it), or are you just rolling the dice and hoping you don't have to make a claim?
I've not involved by own insurance since logged in Lyfts insurance becomes the primary insurance covering the car (and their covers way more than mine does).