• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lutherans and Marriage

Bishka

Veteran Member
Questions for y'all

Does either family or the woman or man pay a dowry?

Is intermarriage between faiths allowed?

Age allowed to marry?

Engagements?

Is Pre-Martial Sex Allowed?

How is Marriage defined (man and man, woman and woman, man and woman)?

Is marriage required?

Is divorce okay?

cturne

servant of God
beckysoup61 said:
Questions for y'all

Does either family or the woman or man pay a dowry?

Is intermarriage between faiths allowed?

Age allowed to marry?

Engagements?

Is Pre-Martial Sex Allowed?

How is Marriage defined (man and man, woman and woman, man and woman)?

Is marriage required?

Is divorce okay?

Sorry for the late response to this - I don't look at the forums much anymore, but if you still participate, here are my answers: (BTW, I belong to a more conservative Lutheran group than some.)

Dowry - Nope

Intermarriage between faiths - yes, but with some caution. We can look at it 2 ways - it gives us a chance to evangelize or instruct, to bring someone closer to faith, or it could serve to draw us out of our faith, or weaken it - depending on the strength of the other person's faith, religion, or lack thereof. But it is not forbidden to marry outside of the faith at all. I don't think there is any actual statement about this - we are encouraged to go to our pastors with questions, and be counseled before marriage.

No age requirement - Lutherans would follow the law of their state, or country.

Engagements? Not sure what your question is - are they required/ allowed? There is no position on engagements.

Premarital sex? That would go against the 6th commandment, so, not allowed. Does it happen? Well, we're all sinners and fall short of the glory of God.

Marriage is defined as the union between one man and one woman,as instituted by God.

Is marriage required? No, you may choose to be single. However, living together as a married couple without marriage is not looked upon favorably by our pastors.

Is divorce ok? - Well, divorce is never 'ok' - but in certain cases, such as desertion or adultery, it is justified. And there again - you're not going to be excommunicated if you get divorced due to 'unreconcilable differences'. We don't need our pastor or church's permission to get divorced, but we are encouraged to seek our pastors counsel when we are troubled in anything - including marriage.

CDRaider

cturne said:
Intermarriage between faiths - yes, but with some caution. We can look at it 2 ways - it gives us a chance to evangelize or instruct, to bring someone closer to faith, or it could serve to draw us out of our faith, or weaken it - depending on the strength of the other person's faith, religion, or lack thereof. But it is not forbidden to marry outside of the faith at all. I don't think there is any actual statement about this - we are encouraged to go to our pastors with questions, and be counseled before marriage.

Well sorta, See there is a slight difference in the definition of interfaith marriage. Marrying outside of the DENOMINATION is fine, marrying outside of the FAITH is not. You are not allowed to marry non-christains.

My father is Lutheran and I am dating a Baha'i. I can get from him the parts in the doctrine that say so if you want me to. My father though has clearly shown to be the rules on interfaith marriage. There are two different sect of Lutheranism though so we might be different sects....

cturne

servant of God
CDRaider said:
Well sorta, See there is a slight difference in the definition of interfaith marriage. Marrying outside of the DENOMINATION is fine, marrying outside of the FAITH is not. You are not allowed to marry non-christains.

My father is Lutheran and I am dating a Baha'i. I can get from him the parts in the doctrine that say so if you want me to. My father though has clearly shown to be the rules on interfaith marriage. There are two different sect of Lutheranism though so we might be different sects....

So.. what is the penalty? We may be of different Lutheran Synods, as some of them vary a lot, but my synod is quite conservative. A gal who belonged to our church married a Muslim (but not in our church, she got married in a different church) and she wasn't excommunicated, or anything. It is interesting to note, however, that the marriage did not last.

CDRaider

In the church that I 'technically' belong to, I'm not exactally the most lutheran person ever, they dont' punish you because it is up to God to decided if anything should be done about it. He will inspire or do what he feels is necissary.

Not saying I believe that or I wouldn't be dating a Baha'i, but thats what they believe. My dad beleives he is going to be paying for it a bit since he didn't raise me well in the faith or something, I dunno, I usually drown him out after three hours.