• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lust

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
May i ask, how can lust be life affirming?

Good question, Terese! Lust (sexual desire) is an emotion. Emotions typically do at least two things. First, they motivate us to do something. Second, they tend to somewhat focus our awareness on things that are relevant to what they are motivating us to do.

So, for instance, suppose you were feeling horny in a crowded tavern. The feeling of horniness would tend to make you want to get laid, while it would also tend to focus your attention on the people in the tavern who were sexually attractive to you. Put a little differently, you would be energized to affirm or embrace life (or at least, a somewhat narrow aspect of it). You'd be significantly less likely to say, "No, I want nothing to do with these sexually attractive people." That is, you'd be less likely to deny or reject that aspect of your life.

Wouldn't controlling the desires and senses of the body prove more fruitful?

Depends on what you mean by "controlling". There is a whole lot of thoughtless, knee-jerk, bad advice out there about "controlling" the desires in such a way as to deny or reject life. And sure, you can do that, but you pay a price for it: You never life fully, but only as an insipid shadow in this world.

Profound Realization

Hi, I think your post is so interesting. I have read before of people who abstain from sex completely, even abstain from self pleasure, and the mental/emotional/physical benefits are amazing. I don't know if I could manage it. I'm married now, and I'd like to think that we have a healthy sexual lust for each other, it's not dirty or bad, we love one another and want to please each other. But, even so, going without for a while can bring about amazing benefits, I've read. Is this what you have experienced?

I once thought I couldn't manage as well. I suppose some can and some can't. Until the courage came to experiment if there were another side. I'm not sure of the experience for others, but I've experienced only amazing. Both physical and mental. Always great to hear anyone seeing amazing benefits.

I personally find the definition for lust as "sexual desire" very vague. Sexual desire is just that, sexual desire. Lust, at least from my perspective would mean an "uncontrollable obsession." Could go for many things.

Profound Realization

The old Latin tag, post coitum omne animal triste est, is attributed to Galen (the greatest of ancient physicians) but he was a Greek, so it was likely someone else. It means, 'after a bonk, every animal feels sad'. (And in the full version, he adds, 'except the rooster and the human female', but let's not go there.)

So, as the agony aunt might write in her column, your condition is (basically) normal.

As for self-control, who could argue?

As for moderation in everything, who could argue there either? Including self-control, if judiciously done.

Ha. Perhaps we shouldn't go there.

Would it mean I'm now abnormal, to no longer feel guilt/remorse/sad? The burden of those feelings has been lifted.

Deidre

I once thought I couldn't manage as well. I suppose some can and some can't. Until the courage came to experiment if there were another side. I'm not sure of the experience for others, but I've experienced only amazing. Both physical and mental. Always great to hear anyone seeing amazing benefits.

I personally find the definition for lust as "sexual desire" very vague. Sexual desire is just that, sexual desire. Lust, at least from my perspective would mean an "uncontrollable obsession." Could go for many things.

It's defined as "strong sexual desire" when it comes to sex, but I think religion has morphed the definition to mean something disgraceful.

Profound Realization

It's defined as "strong sexual desire" when it comes to sex, but I think religion has morphed the definition to mean something disgraceful.

When I read about you and your spouse, or many engaging in sexual relations... I would perceive it as more of an attraction rather than "lust." We can be attracted to things without being attached to things. If it is so strong to consume us as an obsession, is not controllable, I would personally perceive it as lust. That type leads to a plethora of harm... anger/jealousy/insecurity/lies/lack of contentment/emotional decision-making/clouded judgement/control.. can go on. Many of these we are blinded to/aren't aware of at one point.

For instance, I don't view my spouse as "mine." I do not control in any way. I love unconditionally. She is free. There is no control, jealousy, insecurity, conditions. If she were to be attracted elsewhere and engage...so be it. She is free to do so. I would love just as much. Their happiness would make me happy. If sex in any way created any of the above, spouse or no-spouse... it would be a form of lust, regardless of how microscopic, in my perception. "My spouse" is just a means of expressing through words, my internal nature/environment doesn't even think or acknowledge that another is "mine or my possession." Now, I once was not like this. I've evolved past such, I perceive.

Same goes for someone(s) were out and about and 2 that have made no prior commitment of faithfulness to another which would harm them,their children,etc. agree to random, consensual, sexual relations with no conditions involved. No lies, no conning, no emotional attachment, no deceit, no rape, no jealousy, no commitment-breaking, etc.

Last edited:

Deidre

When I read about you and your spouse, or many engaging in sexual relations... I would perceive it as more of an attraction rather than "lust." We can be attracted to things without being attached to things. If it is so strong to consume us as an obsession, is not controllable, I would personally perceive it as lust. That type leads to a plethora of harm... anger/jealousy/insecurity/lies/lack of contentment/emotional decision-making/clouded judgement/control.. can go on. Many of these we are blinded to/aren't aware of at one point.

For instance, I don't view my spouse as "mine." I do not control in any way. I love unconditionally. She is free. There is no control, jealousy, insecurity, conditions. If she were to be attracted elsewhere and engage...so be it. She is free to do so. I would love just as much. Their happiness would make me happy. If sex in any way created any of the above, spouse or no-spouse... it would be a form of lust, regardless of how microscopic, in my perception. "My spouse" is just a means of expressing through words, my internal nature/environment doesn't even think or acknowledge that another is "mine or my possession." Now, I once was not like this. I've evolved past such, I perceive.

Same goes for someone(s) were out and about and 2 that have made no prior commitment of faithfulness to another which would harm them,their children,etc. agree to random, consensual, sexual relations with no conditions involved. No lies, no conning, no emotional attachment, no deceit, no rape, no jealousy, no commitment-breaking, etc.

You would stay with your wife if she was sleeping with others??

Faithofchristian

Lust, is not a sin, until it's fully conceived.

Like if you were to lust after something that is your neighbor's. There's no wrong in that.
Until you take what is your neighbor's as your own. Now it's a sin.
Because now what was just a lust, has now become fully conceived in lust.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Like if you were to lust after something that is your neighbor's. There's no wrong in that.

Is this your personal interpretation of this deadly sin or an axiom held by all Christians?

DavidFirth

Lust is one of those things that no matter how much you feed it, it leaves you pining for more. It is very addictive and some even get hooked on it.

Faithofchristian

Is this your personal interpretation of this deadly sin or an axiom held by all Christians?

First of all, Where do you get it's a deadly sin?
Secondly where do you get held by all Christians.
There are two groups of Christians, can you tell and explain which are which. Before you put all Christians into the same group.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
First of all, Where do you get it's a deadly sin?

You answered my question with a question. That's not how conversation works.

But here's an article that might help you.
Seven deadly sins - Wikipedia

Secondly where do you get held by all Christians.

Usually in Church. Well, at least we all shake hands.

There are two groups of Christians, can you tell and explain which are which.

*smiles* I think there's more than two groups, sweets.

Before you go catalyzing all Christians into the same group.

Catalyzing?

Christianity is an umbrella term for a belief structure common to a specific group of people. Christians are one group divided into many (not two) subgroups.

I answered your questions. Now please answer mine.

Faithofchristian

Every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and desires.
Then when lust has conceived, it brings forth sin, and sin, when it is finished, brings forth Death. James 1:14-15.

Therefore lust is nothing until it's fully conceived. And when lust is fully conceived them it brings forth sin. And when it is finished it brings forth death.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and desires.
Then when lust has conceived, it brings forth sin, and sin, when it is finished, brings forth Death. James 1:14-15.

Therefore lust is nothing until it's fully conceived. And when lust is fully conceived them it brings forth sin. And when it is finished it brings forth death.

You didn't answer my question. You posted an interpretation of the conception of lust:

I asked you if it was your own personal interpretation or an axiom held by all Christians.

Faithofchristian

Catalyzing?

Christianity is an umbrella term for a belief structure common to a specific group of people. Christians are one group divided into many (not two) subgroups.

There are two groups of Christians.

You have those Christians which taught by man's teachings.

And you have those Christians who are taught by the word of God.

Those Christians which are taught by man's teachings will come saying people will be Raptured out.

And those Christians which are taught by God's word, There is no such a thing that Christ Jesus Himself or the disciples ever taught.

But man's have twi

Catalyzing?

There are two groups of Christians
There are those christians who follow the teachings of man's.

There are those christians who are taught by the Spirit of God.

Man's teachings will say, if a man looks upon a woman to lust after her, you have already committed adultery with her.

Can you explain just how does a man who is single will fit into that.

How can a single man commit adultery when he is single?

Only a married man can commit adultery.

God's teachings will say, that if man looks upon a woman to lust after her, that is not a sin.
How else would anyone come together, if they do not have a lust to be with the other one.
If you see something that your neighbor has, and you lust to have it. That is not a sin, which man's teachings will tell you it is a sin.

Now if you go take that to which you lust for of your neighbor, now the lust has become fully conceived, Now it has become a sin.

Lust is not a sin, untill it's fully conceived.

Therefore you have two groups of Christians.
First Christians being those who follow the teachings of man's.

Second Christians being those who follow God's teachings.

Man's teachings speaking about a rapture.

God's teachings speaks nothing about a rapture.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There are two groups of Christians
There are those christians who follow the teachings of man's.

There are those christians who are taught by the Spirit of God.

Please explain the latter. Where does one obtain these teachings from the 'Spirit of God?'

Man's teachings will say, if a man looks upon a woman to lust after her, you have already committed adultery with her.

Can you explain just how does a man who is single will fit into that.

How can a single man commit adultery when he is single?

By having sex with another man's wife.

Only a married man can commit adultery.

Wrong.

God's teachings will say, that if man looks upon a woman to lust after her, that is not a sin.

Show me.

How else would anyone come together, if they do not have a lust to be with the other one.
If you see something that your neighbor has, and you lust to have it. That is not a sin, which man's teachings will tell you it is a sin.

Now if you go take that to which you lust for of your neighbor, now the lust has become fully conceived, Now it has become a sin.

Lust is not a sin, untill it's fully conceived.

You still haven't answered my question.

Faithofchristian

You didn't answer my question. You posted an interpretation of the conception of lust:

I asked you if it was your own personal interpretation or an axiom held by all Christians.

No not all Christians hold to the teachings of God's.

There are those christians who hold to man's teachings.

There are those Christians who hold to God's teachings.

There are those christians that will say, that the earth is only about 6000 yrs old.

There are those Christians that will say, that the earth is Millions if not Billions of years old.

You have paleontologist scientist that have dug up dinosaurs bones and have dated them to be Millions of years old. And God's word fortify's this to be so.

Faithofchristian

Please explain the latter. Where does one obtain these teachings from the 'Spirit of God?'

By having sex with another man's wife.

Wrong.

Show me.

You still haven't answered my question.

Look a single man who has sex with another man's wife, the single man didn't commit adultery, the woman committed the adultery, seeing she is the one who is married.

Profound Realization

You would stay with your wife if she was sleeping with others??

No, I wouldn't in an intimate way. Although some partnerships two people don't mind "open relationship." Wouldn't change my love for her. Wouldn't make me jealous or any other ill-fruit, or have disappointment. Forgiveness would be natural if forgiveness were even needed. I'd stay as an unconditionally loving friend. Besides, there is no "lust." We embrace our committment with no ill-fruit and with faithfulness fully intact. We don't make commitments we can't keep.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Look a single man who has sex with another man's wife, the single man didn't commit adultery, the woman committed the adultery, seeing she is the one who is married.

The consensus is that an adulterer is one that knowingly participates in sexual relation with a partner outside of marriage.

Adultery - Wikipedia

In other words, if you're single and diddling another man's wife, you're an adulterer.