• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lust of Result

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Often I see people describing the lust of result in a negative light. However, "pure will... delivered from lust of result is in every way perfect". What is the reason for this apparent contradiction?

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
From a purely practical standpoint waiting too intensely for a result will lead to misinterpretation of events that have nothing to do with the spell or ritual you perform. It's hard to tell what the sentence is supposed to mean without seeing it in context.

Premium Member
Context

39. The word of the Law is THELEMA.

40. Who calls us Thelemites will do no wrong, if he look but close into the word. For there are therein Three Grades, the Hermit, and the Lover, and the man of Earth. Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

41. The word of Sin is Restriction. O man! refuse not thy wife, if she will! O lover, if thou wilt, depart! There is no bond that can unite the divided but love: all else is a curse. Accursed! Accursed be it to the aeons! Hell.

42. Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.

43. Do that, and no other shall say nay.

44. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.

AL I:39-44

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Context

39. The word of the Law is THELEMA.

40. Who calls us Thelemites will do no wrong, if he look but close into the word. For there are therein Three Grades, the Hermit, and the Lover, and the man of Earth. Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

41. The word of Sin is Restriction. O man! refuse not thy wife, if she will! O lover, if thou wilt, depart! There is no bond that can unite the divided but love: all else is a curse. Accursed! Accursed be it to the aeons! Hell.

42. Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.

43. Do that, and no other shall say nay.

44. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.

AL I:39-44

Delivered from, not delivered by. Antiquated linguistics.

"...deliver us from evil"

Premium Member
Delivered from, not delivered by. Antiquated linguistics.

"...deliver us from evil"

Huh, interesting. Any suggestions into what exactly is being said? Just that one has been freed from lust of result?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Huh, interesting. Any suggestions into what exactly is being said? Just that one has been freed from lust of result?

Alan Moore can explain it a little better than me, and if I tried I'd inevitably paraphrase him:

“In order to be able to make it, you have to put aside the fear of failing and the desire of succeeding. You have to do these things completely and purely without fear, without desire. Because things that we do without lust of result are the purest actions we shall ever take.”

A will that is apprehensive or overinvested has more ways to fail that otherwise.

Premium Member
Makes perfect sense, I can't believe I misinterpreted the verse for so long.

Nice using Alan Moore btw.

Mateus T.

Hello. Im really skeptical when it comes to do something without fear or desire.. It really seems like a buddhist way, but even a buddhist monk would be wondered by that, because that would be truly the way a god would act. I sincerelly believe in love, because only love can grant you the strenght and care needed to achieve some purpose. If ones love music, it will dilligently study, meditate on it, and practice with the care need; he will work on any job that doesnt impair his skills, and manage to get money to buy new musical instruments, to read new books about music, so that his love for music would flow into existence in the way conceived by its mind. He will be careful not to be torn by this passion, to have his body ripped by obssessed trainning.. He will acknowledy the material fragility of its own existence, because he wants do dedicated himself to his profound love.. I think this can reflect in many other things too, like art, people, etc.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
This line from Liber AL is a favourite of mine and a perfect example of how and why the Book should only be interpreted by the reader

44. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect. (I:44)

There are two ways to interpret this.

"delivered from" could be "free from" i.e. Lust of Result is something to be avoided. This is very applicable in magick. For ofter "lusting for results" can mar the work... prevent it from manifesting - cause its almost desired too much.
Thus do not lust for results... for if it be your Will - the result will be forthcoming as it is deigned to be.
In sex-magick for example... the pure will is the union of the sexes with a view to raising of the Kundalini and gnosis that can ensue. the Lust for Result may be orgasm and in this case is it useful to be "delivered" from such 'Lust'

The other interpretation:

"delivered from" could be "preceeding from"... thus pure will, coming from a Lust (Lust in the Thoth Tarot is an important card meaning Strength and the joy of Strength Exercised" (thus the result is the manifestation of your True path) is in every way perfect.
(see the Book of Thoth Atu XI - Lust (Teth)http://hermetic.com/crowley/book-of-thoth/atu.html)

i find both interpretations useful.

Last edited: