• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lump Discovered in My Daughter's Lymph Node

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I just learned yesterday that my daughter has a lump in her lymph node.

She went in to see a physician yesterday because of stomach pain, night sweats, and fatigue. The doctor discovered the lump and has scheduled her for consult with a surgeon on Monday.

For those of you who do not already know, I lost my first daughter to cancer, and her symptoms began at nearly the same age as my daughter is now. So as you might understand, I'm a bit terrified.

I've done a bit of poking around on the internet but am finding little other than causes range from a viral infection to cancer.

Do any of you have any experience with such symptoms? Anyone here with any sort of medical background that might have any thoughts or comments?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

She went in to see a physician yesterday because of stomach pain, night sweats, and fatigue. The doctor discovered the lump and has scheduled her for consult with a surgeon on Monday.

For those of you who do not already know, I lost my first daughter to cancer, and her symptoms began at nearly the same age as my daughter is now. So as you might understand, I'm a bit terrified.

I've done a bit of poking around on the internet but am finding little other than causes range from a viral infection to cancer.

Do any of you have any experience with such symptoms? Anyone here with any sort of medical background that might have any thoughts or comments?

I don't have enough experience or knowledge to answer the above questions, but I wish your daughter good health. I'll be thinking of you and her.

Please keep us updated if you can.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Scott, my heart goes out to you. I can barely imagine how terrifying this must be to you. If you feel like it at any time please feel free to PM me. I don't have any medical advice, but I can listen.

A few weeks ago, I had a persistent pain in my left armpit x-rayed on the chance it might be something. My father, you see, died of a cancer of the lymph nodes. His death was at nearly the same age as I am now. So I was a bit concerned. Fortunately, the x-rays came back "no abnormalities". But having gone through that, I am especially empathetic to you and your daughter.

Best possible wishes for her and for you.

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall

My long term partner 41 years was diagnosed with breast cancer 4 months ago, 3 relatives died same problem. She has had weekly pray ministry and last month 4 doctors confirmed NOTHING THERE. Dont ask me how, I guess that's what a miracle is. Hope she gets better soon.

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE FIND PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE IN MIRACLES TO PRAY FOR HER

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
A few weeks ago, I had a persistent pain in my left armpit x-rayed on the chance it might be something. My father, you see, died of a cancer of the lymph nodes. His death was at nearly the same age as I am now. So I was a bit concerned. Fortunately, the x-rays came back "no abnormalities". But having gone through that, I am especially empathetic to you and your daughter.

Glad to hear everything is okay, Phil. And thanks for the offer. Not feeling much like talking about it other than looking for some answers, but it's good to know the offer stands. Thanks for your well wishes.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I hope the best for you Scott. I really do. Peace to you and your daughter :praying:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm so sorry to read this, and I certainly hope and pray for the best with your daughter and your entire family.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

I cannot imagine your fear at this point.
You are definitely in my thoughts and I hope things work out for the best.
Be strong, others are counting on you.

Drizzt Do'Urden

Deistic Drow Elf
My mother was diagnosed with small cell carcinoma in her lymph node in her neck back in 1980 and was told she had 6 months to live. At the time, the survival rate for this was around 13%.

My mother looked the doctor in the eye and literally told him to eff off, that she would outlive his a** (you have to know my mother).

She ended up living another 26 years, and she did outlive the doctor.

Attitude is important. Don't dwell in the past, don't worry about the future, live in the now.

My thoughts are with you and yours.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Just thought I'd share this text from her mother that came to my phone 4 minutes ago...

"...when I went to my knees to pray for maggie, I just knew I didn't have to pray, There was just pure faith-I just thanked God for taking care of her. He knows and will handle it. I never stopped before my prayers before.."
"It'll be okay"

So apparently there is nothing to worry about...

I'm compelled to start a new thread...

ETA: If you have any interest in putting your two cents in on this post, here's a link to the thread I created in the debates forum.

How Do You Know If 'God Will Handle It?'

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

Gosh, what to say? I think it is dangerous to speculate. I think you just have to tough it out until the diagnostic procedures work through. Also, even if it is cancer, every cancer is different and some are either curable or can be held at bay very successfully.

My wife died of ovarian cancer 18 months ago, but she had many years of almost trouble-free living, thank to modern treatments. And my sister-in-law's breast cancer seems to have been totally cured - so far as one can ever say that!

But I guess you have already had that speech, in the past.

Fingers crossed for you both.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Gosh, what to say? I think it is dangerous to speculate. I think you just have to tough it out until the diagnostic procedures work through. Also, even if it is cancer, every cancer is different and some are either curable or can be held at bay very successfully.

It's the "toughing it out" phase that I find most disconcerting. My first daughter went to numerous doctors over the course of 9 months before she was diagnosed. She was finally diagnosed with DSCRT, a rare and aggressive sarcoma that ten years later still has a poor prognosis. Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor - Wikipedia. I'm sincerely hoping that my younger daughter doesn't have to go through the same thing.

In my two years living in hospitals, I was astounded by how much allopathic medicine is, indeed, a 'practice.'

My wife died of ovarian cancer 18 months ago, but she had many years of almost trouble-free living, thank to modern treatments. And my sister-in-law's breast cancer seems to have been totally cured - so far as one can ever say that!

I'm sorry for your loss, but find it encouraging that modern treatments benefited both.

But I guess you have already had that speech, in the past.

Indeed.

Fingers crossed for you both.

Thank you.

Amani_Bhava

I will pray for you and your daughter. May you both be well.

I believe she should have a biopsy or excision of the lymph gland as soon as possible.

Among many causes of lymphadenopathy one is tuberculosis. Very few cases are cancer.

namaste

amani_bhava

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
My heart goes out to you. I can only offer the same as others, if you ever want to talk at a future date my PMs or phone is open.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Update: My daughter and her mother are telling me the lump in the lymph node is gone, but she is still having night sweats, has dark circles under her eyes, and is having stomach issues.

Both want to postpone the surgery consult that is scheduled at 3pm today and wait for blood test results, for which she has order, but has not had them done. I am inclined to stay the course with the surgery consult even though they cannot feel the lump. Last I checked, neither of them were doctors.

The symptoms have me concerned even though the lump is apparently gone down.