• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luke Skywalker or Stormtropper?

Jumi

I remember being against starting the recent Iraq and Afghan wars. Terrible loss of life, huge amount of pollution, waste of money, messed up world economies, displaced peoples and for what?

Reactions: Vee

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I was going to read it until I saw, upon skimming, abundant and unnecessary use of profanity. That combined with the nature of the source material made me loose interest in giving it a serious read. :sweat:

But I did read just enough of it to find an interesting inconsistency -perhaps hypocrisy - by the author. The writer points a finger at "good vs evil" rhetoric used to sell post 9-11 actions by the United States government, and then invert that very same "good vs evil" rhetoric to support their own points. Whoops. More of the same doesn't impress this one. Especially with all the swear words.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I was going to read it until I saw, upon skimming, abundant and unnecessary use of profanity. That combined with the nature of the source material made me loose interest in giving it a serious read. :sweat:

But I did read just enough of it to find an interesting inconsistency -perhaps hypocrisy - by the author. The writer points a finger at "good vs evil" rhetoric used to sell post 9-11 actions by the United States government, and then invert that very same "good vs evil" rhetoric to support their own points. Whoops. More of the same doesn't impress this one. Especially with all the swear words.
****, yeah, eh!

Resorting to using expletives in a supposedly serious piece generally does not bode well. What the **** happened to civility? :D

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
The first hint is "Do you

Have you never met a member of the military? There's a reason for the expression "swears like a sailor".

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I remember being against starting the recent Iraq and Afghan wars. Terrible loss of life, huge amount of pollution, waste of money, messed up world economies, displaced peoples and for what?
Only people in power know that answer.
I suspect they will never tell.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I refused to be a stormtrooper.
And I'd have refused Jedihood, had I been offered.
Maybe a Wookie.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The first hint is "Do you

Have you never met a member of the military? There's a reason for the expression "swears like a sailor".
The source I think does it just to overcompensate, and it's doubtful they even comprehend or understand the philosophical ideologies behind the character Tyler Durden (as, without doubt, he'd probably have them killed or violently attacked as pathetic copy cats of corporate America). IMO, it's a group of dudes who saw Fight Club and became so engrossed by the trees of masculinity that they failed to see the forest of philosophy behind the movie (and book).

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
This is an article I though deserves to be read, even for those of us who are not soldiers. Food for thought:

"You Grow Up Wanting To Be Luke Skywalker, Then Realize You've Become A Stormtrooper For The Empire"

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I hate to call on the prequels but Episode 3 we saw Anakin flip the script on the Senate with Palpatine because the Senate argued back and forth over many issues. Sound familiar? >eyes congress < Because of all the stalemates and other bureaucratic red tape was always to slow to react to real time situations. Palpatine was able to coerce Anakin into helping him establish the Empire for the "common good" of the galaxy.

We are moving in this direction ourselves as people grow tired of our own governments slow hand and inability to actually get anything done. I dare say the results to fix this could end up the same. With a dictator unwilling to give up power.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is an article I though deserves to be read, even for those of us who are not soldiers. Food for thought:

"You Grow Up Wanting To Be Luke Skywalker, Then Realize You've Become A Stormtrooper For The Empire"
It's obvious that Presidents go to war to win re-election. Expect Mr. Trump to do the same, only maybe this time it will be a nuclear war with North Korea? :eek:

I am more of a Tolkien guy than Star Wars. But, seriously, all that the Jedi do is act as stormtroopers for the Republic? At the end of the day, they kill with lightsabres.

I prefer being a hobbit, or Tom Bombadil.