• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luke 18:8

questfortruth

"However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?"

Is it logical from Luke 18:8 to conclude, that

Near the Judgement Day there will be almost none Christians on Earth?

Can it be other way around?

If you are already sure, why did you ask if it could be other way around?

What make you sure?
Some ways around:
1) very many Christians.
2) many Christians.
3) few Christians.
4) almost none Christians.

Does the Luke 18:8 give us any preference?

"Will he find faith on earth" if that is needed to be asked, that signal that faith is something lacking in the endtime on earth.
Is it scientific or emotional conclusion from Luke 18:8?

Christianity didn't exist when Jesus spoke. He certainly never used that word. He didn't mean Christians as you know them today, because they didn't exist.
He meant His followers. The non-Christian religions are not followers of Jesus.

Last edited:

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
It says 'faith', not 'Christians'.

I don't believe he's coming back, but certainly he would find many faithful, good folks if he did.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It says 'faith', not 'Christians'.

I don't believe he's coming back, but certainly he would find many faithful, good folks if he did.
I agree with you :) there will be many faithful in the end times. And of course some will be Christians within the faithful :)

I believe it means there will not be many of those who have remained faithful/loyal to him and God.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Some ways around:
1) very many Christians.
2) many Christians.
3) few Christians.

"Will he find faith on earth" if that is needed to be asked, that signal that faith is something lacking in the endtime on earth.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Some ways around:
1) very many Christians.
2) many Christians.
3) few Christians.

Is it scientific or emotional conclusion from Luke 18:8?

Perhaps the "Christians" are more faithful to their religion than they are to God.

Being faithful I'd assume means trusting in God. Whatever one's religion, putting complete faith in God is a tough sale, imo.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member

He's speaking to Jews, and earth is not a planet but Israel as it generally is in the Psalms. He's saying their faith could fail -- that they are not so strong and so good as they think. Its a theme, and Peter is a miniature version of them, like model of them. He becomes overconfident thinking he is a loyal man. His faith fails when in chapter 22 he denies Jesus three times, but his faith returns. He's a fiery, zealous character like the people Jesus is speaking to, and he means well but is overconfident when he tells Jesus "I will never forsake you!" The people Jesus is talking to think nothing will with shake them, so he tells them the parable of the good pharisee and the evil tax collector (who works for Rome).

When he asks "when the son of man comes will he find faith in the earth?" its actually a rhetorical 'No', because just in the previous chapter he's said that he must suffer at the hands of this generation. It is foreshadowing that they are going to reject the right path, despite all of their efforts to choose the right one. They're going to make an unjust decision. They're going to make a big mistake.

questfortruth

Christianity didn't exist when Jesus spoke. He certainly never used that word. He didn't mean Christians as you know them today, because they didn't exist.
He meant His followers. The non-Christian religions are not followers of Jesus.

I disagree that there will be few Christians on earth when Jesus arrives. Jesus emphasized his counsel at Luke 18:1. Both referred to the illustration he gave at Luke 18:2-7. He raised the question as to whether, at his future arrival, he would find faith in the power of prayer on earth.

The seeming delay on God’s part in answering some prayers is not due to any inability nor to a lack of willingness, as the Scriptures make clear. In some cases the answer must await God’s “timetable.”-Revelation 6:9-11.

Furthermore, God’s requirements-regarding prayers-are that we must live/lead lives in harmony with our prayers. Our course our actions must please Him; otherwise, we cannot expect Him to consider our petitions and supplications with favor. This is an aspect of prayer that is overlooked by most of those in Christendom, even as it was overlooked by the apostate Israelites in Isaiah’s day.-Isaiah 1:15-17. Compare: Proverbs 1:28-32; 15:29; 28:9; Lamentations 3:44; Micah 3:4