• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luke 17:21

Riders

luke 17:21 says nor will they say, ‘See here!’ or ‘See there!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.

To me this is the scripture pointing to look inward towards your own inner Godself for the answers instead of looking outside yourself.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
luke 17:21 says nor will they say, ‘See here!’ or ‘See there!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.

To me this is the scripture pointing to look inward towards your own inner Godself for the answers instead of looking outside yourself.

That is the meeting point for many religions: Hinduism, Sufi Islam, Kaballah.

I take as true any time there verses in many different religious traditions saying basically the same thing.

King Phenomenon

Absolutely within ones heart. Universal component.

tigger2

Luke 17:21: ... ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ θεοῦ ἐντὸς ὑμῶν ἐστιν.

NAS Exhaustive ConcordanceWord Origin (entos)
from en
Definition: within, among

Thayer's Greek Lexicon

STRONGS NT 1787: ἐντός ἐντός, adverb (from ἐν, opposed to ἐκτός), within, inside: with the genitive ἐντός ὑμῶν, within you, i. e. in the midst of you, Luke 17:21 (ἐντός αὐτῶν)

Some translations which render Luke 17:21 as "among you" or "in your midst": AMP; CSB; CEB; CEV; CJB; DARBY; ERV; ESV; HCSB; ISV; LEB; MSG; MOUNCE; NAB; NASB; NET; NIV; NLT; NRSV; RSV; TLV.

Pulpit Commentary - Luke 20, Verse 21. - Neither shall they say, Lo here: or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. That kingdom will be marked out on no map, for, lo, it is even now in your midst. It may be asked - How "in your midst"? Scarcely not as Godet and Olshausen, following Chrysostom, think, in your hearts. The kingdom of God could not be said to be in the hearts of those Pharisees to whom the Master was especially directing his words of reply here. It should be rather understood in the midst of your ranks; so Meyer and Farrar and others interpret it

Gargovic Malkav

In my experience, it is indeed impossible to see and understand God in the slightest if one can't even see and understand himself.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Luke 17:21: ... ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ θεοῦ ἐντὸς ὑμῶν ἐστιν.

NAS Exhaustive ConcordanceWord Origin (entos)
from en
Definition: within, among

Thayer's Greek Lexicon

STRONGS NT 1787: ἐντός ἐντός, adverb (from ἐν, opposed to ἐκτός), within, inside: with the genitive ἐντός ὑμῶν, within you, i. e. in the midst of you, Luke 17:21 (ἐντός αὐτῶν)

Some translations which render Luke 17:21 as "among you" or "in your midst": AMP; CSB; CEB; CEV; CJB; DARBY; ERV; ESV; HCSB; ISV; LEB; MSG; MOUNCE; NAB; NASB; NET; NIV; NLT; NRSV; RSV; TLV.

Pulpit Commentary - Luke 20, Verse 21. - Neither shall they say, Lo here: or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. That kingdom will be marked out on no map, for, lo, it is even now in your midst. It may be asked - How "in your midst"? Scarcely not as Godet and Olshausen, following Chrysostom, think, in your hearts. The kingdom of God could not be said to be in the hearts of those Pharisees to whom the Master was especially directing his words of reply here. It should be rather understood in the midst of your ranks; so Meyer and Farrar and others interpret it

I agree that the Kingdom of God is in our midst. The Kingdom of God is anywhere God is ruling. How do you see the Kingdom of God? and why do JWs say the Kingdom of God is a Government and that we are waiting for that Kingdom to come? Is it here now in embryo or do we have to wait?
Luke 16:16 The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the gospel of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it.
How do JWs understand this saying of Jesus?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I agree.

And good to see that Indian Scriptures, Saints, Avatars and Bible, Jesus say the same about this.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

god is involuted and evoluted; which makes a circle whole.

it would be the experience Jacob had at penuel and realized god face to face. man was made in the image, in the image he made them

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

IMO, it's best for us to look into ourselves before looking at others. I also believe there's a "piece" of God within us that we should try and tap into, which some call the "inner light".

Brian2

Veteran Member
In my experience, it is indeed impossible to see and understand God in the slightest if one can't even see and understand himself.

In my experience it is seeing God and hearing what He tells us which enables us to see and understand ourselves.

Gargovic Malkav

In my experience it is seeing God and hearing what He tells us which enables us to see and understand ourselves.

Were you raised as a believer? Because if so, I can understand why the experience worked for you that way. I wasn't. And although I was pretty self-aware already in my atheist days(of course God put that knowledge in me, I just wasn't aware of it yet!), I do admit that I got to know myself even better since I started believing.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Were you raised as a believer? Because if so, I can understand why the experience worked for you that way. I wasn't. And although I was pretty self-aware already in my atheist days(of course God put that knowledge in me, I just wasn't aware of it yet!), I do admit that I got to know myself even better since I started believing.

I was raised as a Catholic but left that in my teens. I guess I have been growing in my faith one way or another since then but have also been pretty confused along the way.
It seems that the different beliefs around can give us different ideas of ourselves and clearly they are not all correct.

cataway

luke 17:21 says nor will they say, ‘See here!’ or ‘See there!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.'' thats really not a great way to discribe the narative/scene of what was happening . in fact it only served to confuse people . Jesus is the king ,he is the kingdom . he was,at that time, with those jewish men . he was in their midst. which means he was there in the room with them.
which is why it should be more accurately read . 21 ''nor will people say, ‘See here!’ or, ‘There!’ For look! the Kingdom of God is in your midst.”

Brian2

Veteran Member
luke 17:21 says nor will they say, ‘See here!’ or ‘See there!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.'' thats really not a great way to discribe the narative/scene of what was happening . in fact it only served to confuse people . Jesus is the king ,he is the kingdom . he was,at that time, with those jewish men . he was in their midst. which means he was there in the room with them.
which is why it should be more accurately read . 21 ''nor will people say, ‘See here!’ or, ‘There!’ For look! the Kingdom of God is in your midst.”

I have heard that interpretation and it sounds right, up to a point.
Luke 16:16The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the gospel of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it.
The Kingdom of God came to earth with Jesus and is amongst us even though we cannot point to it as we can to an earthly nation or kingdom. It is spread out all over the world because it's citizens are spread out and are in the midst of all the other people and nations.
1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
It comes in it's fullness in the future but is here now also.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

my perspective has only a slight twist to that

heaven will be seeking a reflection.....of it's self

how else are you to fit in?

so....whatever you believe heaven could be.....
deal that reflection unto yourself

cataway

I have heard that interpretation and it sounds right, up to a point.
Luke 16:16The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the gospel of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it.
The Kingdom of God came to earth with Jesus and is amongst us even though we cannot point to it as we can to an earthly nation or kingdom. It is spread out all over the world because it's citizens are spread out and are in the midst of all the other people and nations.
1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
It comes in it's fullness in the future but is here now also.
Jesus is the king and yes he has taken his seat . yet it is not untill prophecy is compleat that he will then take action . right now its just a mater of time.

I interpret this scripture differently. "...kingdom of God is in your midst," is referring to Jesus himself-as God Almighty's representative.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe that view is out of context. The Kingdom of God requires the presence of the king who is Jesus. So the fact is that what you need in you to have the kingdom in you is to have Jesus in you.