• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luck

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
That's not ALL we are, because programmed machines are not sentient. But I believe our actions are all predestined, yes.

By God.
You were predestined to ask.

A "machine" is any causal physical system, hence we are machines; thus, machines can be conscious. The question is: What type of machines could be conscious? Odds are robots passing the Turing Test Turing test - Wikipedia would be indistinguishable from us in their behavioral capacities --and could be conscious (i.e. feel), but we can never be certain. There's no way for any "conscious" being to know whether or not he is actually experiencing a virtual reality produced by an interface between his brain and a computer .

I don't know much about God, besides the fact of this extraterrestrial intelligence having left its mark in our genetic coding. After our shared cosmic ancestor having invented and delivered the genetic code of life to Earth, I have no idea how much of my behavior is genetically programmed and how much of my behavior is in response to the environment on Earth where I live. I believe many people can choose the environment where they live, and each person's environment is formed mostly by nature, but I've realized there's a significant chance nobody around me exists in a base reality.

There are indeed some possible indications we are living in a computer simulation....

1. A particle passing through a double-slit behaves as a wave causing an interference pattern when unobserved, but this same particle doesn't create an interference pattern when its path of travel can be determined by an observer. This collapse of the wave-function could be happening in order to save computational resources necessary for our simulated reality.

2. There is indeed a mark of intelligence left in our genetic code as evident by how the numeric and semantic message of 037 appears in our genetic code. Each codon relates to 3 other particular codons having the same particular type of initial nucleobase and sequential nucleobase subsequently then followed by a different ending nucleobase. Half of these 4 set of codon groups ( whole family codons ) each code for the same particular amino acid. The other half of those 4 set of codon groups ( split codons ) don't code for the same amino acid. So then, in the case of whole family codons, there are 37 amino acid peptide chain nucleons for each relevant nucleobase determinant of how a particular amino acid gets coded. Start codons express 0 at the beginning of 37 Hence, the meaningful numeric and semantic message of 037 gets unambiguously and factually conveyed to us descendants of our cosmic ancestor(s) with our genetic code invented by a superior intelligence beyond that of anybody presently bound to Earth.

This mark of intelligence left in our genetic coding is indicative of an intelligent designer, who may be responsible for the simulation of our reality.

3. Theoretical physicist Dr. S. James Gates Jr. has revealved that a certain string theory, super-symmetrical equations describing the nature and reality of our universe, contains embedded computer codes; these codes have digital data in the form of 0's and 1's identical to what makes web browsers function, and they're error-correct codes.

At least one of the following statements is very likely to be true:

1. Human civilization or a comparable civilization is unlikely to reach a level of technological maturity capable of producing simulated realities or such simulations are physically impossible to construct.
2. A comparable civilization reaching aforementioned technological status will likely not produce a significant number of simulated realities (one that might push the probable existence of digital entities beyond the probable number of "real" entities in a Universe) for any of a number of reasons, such as diversion of computational processing power for other tasks, ethical considerations of holding entities captive in simulated realities, etc.
3. Any entities with our general set of experiences are almost certainly living in a simulation.
4. We are living in a reality in which posthumans have not developed yet and we are actually living in reality

"Bostrom's argument rests on the premise that given sufficiently advanced technology, it is possible to represent the populated surface of the Earth without recourse to digital physics; that the qualia experienced by a simulated consciousness are comparable or equivalent to those of a naturally occurring human consciousness, and that one or more levels of simulation within simulations would be feasible given only a modest expenditure of computational resources in the real world."

ARE YOU LIVING IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION? BY NICK BOSTROM

Faculty of Philosophy, Oxford University

Published in Philosophical Quarterly (2003) Vol. 53, No. 211, pp. 243-255.

Are You Living in a Simulation?

I choose or was predestined to take the red pill knowing there is no turning back. I didn't take the blue pill, because I didn't want the story to end, then waking up in bed and simply believing whatever I want to believe. I took the red pill for staying in Wonderland and getting shown how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

matrix-neo-red-pill_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

After taking the red pill, I watched the below video about possible indications we're living in a simulated reality.

Last edited:

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
I define luck as one's personal success or failure brought forth by chance in lieu of one's own actions. My definition will be used or the purposes of this thread.

Are you a believer in luck? Do you believe that chance has a greater influence on your life than your actions? Why or why not?

For myself it's a mixture.

Life has taught me to always think ahead and be cautious. From my own actions "I" have never been "lost" in the woods even though I go hiking almost every day. Never been conned, swindled, robed, beaten, etc, because I have taken precautions. The list goes on. But sometimes bad "luck" gives me a close call, or catches up with me no matter what. But by my actions I've always found a way out of any "bad luck" circumstances.

So I would have to say that overall my actions have been a greater influence in my life, a positive influence.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Now thats interesting.

Next question: why did God predistine me to be "irrational"?

"But who are you, a mere man, to criticize and contradict and answer back to God? Will what is formed say to him that formed it, Why have you made me thus?" --Romans 9:20 (Amplified Bible)

Last edited by a moderator:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
"But who are you, a mere man, to criticize and contradict and answer back to God? Will what is formed say to him that formed it, Why have you made me thus?" --Romans 9:20 (Amplified Bible)
of course...Saint Paul is perfect to back Calvinist stuff

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
By sheer chance, this thread has derailed into arguments about free will. Gee. What are the odds of that happening on RF?

Oh contrare, did you see me criticize and contradict and answer back at God? Nope. I simply asked you why did God predistine me to be "irrational"?

So, why?

Also, one more thing, if i am answering back at God, would that not mean God predistined me to answer back at him? ;):cool:

Last edited:

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
I define luck as one's personal success or failure brought forth by chance in lieu of one's own actions. My definition will be used or the purposes of this thread.

Are you a believer in luck? Do you believe that chance has a greater influence on your life than your actions? Why or why not?
An interesting question indeed, and one I rarely think about in every day life. The more I sit here thinking about it, the less I think I believe in chance, which I know strays into deterministic territory and aside the question, but bear with me.

If our current model of physics is to be believed, life is fundamentally random on the quantum level. But it's rather unhelpful to attribute every single event in your life to fluctuations in the quantum soup, so it's better to take a step back and treat life as Newtonian physics instead. Classical mechanics apply pretty well to human existence: your life "exerts force" on everything that comes into contact with you, and similarly everything that's in contact with you exerts a force on you. The chains of cause and effect are so complicated that it's sometimes easier to think of it as chance, but technically speaking they are pseudo-random. It would, in theory, be possible to calculate backwards to why a certain events happened to you like it did. So no, I don't think I believe in luck.

The second question is a lot more interesting to me. How much can I nudge those adjacent Newtonian bodies and expect to see a predictable equal and opposite reaction? If my past dealings with seemingly clear-cut bureaucratic hurdles are anything to go by, my actions have no real effect on my personal success or failure.

A less cynical view would be that I can hedge my bets. Say my house burned down. Many would call it an unlucky event, because there was no clear indication that the house would soon catch on fire. Maybe someone happened to stumble and knocked a candle into my newspaper stand. Or maybe one night when I lit my fireplace, the heat just happened to spread into the walls and took the whole house with it.

There's no way I'm able to ensure there's zero chance my house will burn down, but I can regularly clean my chimney, refrain from using candles indoors etc. I can try to anticipate risks, thus reducing the chance of an "unlucky" event. Similarly when I'm looking for a job, I'm not sending my resume to a single company and expect myself to get lucky, because I even instinctually understand that more companies are better.

Of course this means that when my house burns down anyway, I'm much more likely to blame myself for it. Simultaneously because it's a pseudo-random event, there literally isn't anyone else I can blame. There was a choice I made, somewhere down the lane, that took me here, and because I had no way of seeing the ultimate consequence of it, I guess I could as well blame luck for it. It all comes down to where you choose to draw the line between seemingly random and seemingly predictable. Personally I've accepted unpredictable events as a part of life and try to focus on actions with the most predictable consequences. That means being always open to new opportunities, and always looking for new avenues, and always calculating risks instead of relying on chance, or luck, or God to roll the die for me.

So, do I believe that chance has a greater influence on my life than my own actions? Yes, in a fashion. Do I do my best to game the system despite of it? You bet!