• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Low & No Alcohol Beers

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Go get yourself a nice bourbon-barrel aged beer, and move from bogan to classy. Like me. Ahem.

I have this beastie downstairs, just waiting for the right moment.

Firestone-Walker-Parabola-2017.jpg
I recently had one and loved it! I feared it would be like an imperial stout, which I don't like, but it wasn't.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale® | Lexington Brewing & Distilling Co.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Milton Platt

Any good ones where you live? Is there much of a range available locally or online? Recommendations?

(Low, no, free... all mean no more than 0.5% ABV)

I've had a couple of brands. Been so long ago I can't even remember the names. I found them drinkable, but not the best tasting, by any means.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Defining "beer" is quite a task! I'd say a beer is a beverage that has undergone fermentation. Not sure ginger beer does?

There are some alcoholic ginger beers but I think most aren't, so specified on the label. I can't recommend any low-alcohol beers, since the ones I've tried from any seen in shops didn't taste that good. My tipple of choice is dry white wine, craft beers, and dry cider - all consumed no doubt to excess. :oops:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Omnipollo

In collaboration with Buxton Brewery (UK) they produced my favourite alcoholic beer, a stout called Yellow Belly. It was about £10 a bottle (330ml) and was 11% ABV. They brewed it once a year and sold it through craft beer shops on a very limited basis. I was forced to drive around said shops buying up what I could!

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
the ones I've tried from any seen in shops didn't taste that good.

Perhaps pubs have upped their game since I stopped frequenting them, but even the CAMRA award-winning ones had/have a rubbish choice of AF beers. Conversely, some of the bigger supermarkets are starting to have some better ones for sale, if you know which ones are the goodies. If you fancy trying another one or two (cheap, too!) I'd recommend these (just got some from Morrisons):

Big Drop - Galactic Stout
Big Drop - Pine Trail Pale Ale
BrewDog - Wake Up Call (a coffee stout)
Brooklyn - Special Effects (the label says "hoppy lager." So the brewing method is lagering, but it's decidedly not a lager in taste. Personally I'd call it an American Pale Ale)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Perhaps pubs have upped their game since I stopped frequenting them, but even the CAMRA award-winning ones had/have a rubbish choice of AF beers. Conversely, some of the bigger supermarkets are starting to have some better ones for sale, if you know which ones are the goodies. If you fancy trying another one or two (cheap, too!) I'd recommend these (just got some from Morrisons):

Big Drop - Galactic Stout
Big Drop - Pine Trail Pale Ale
BrewDog - Wake Up Call (a coffee stout)
Brooklyn - Special Effects (the label says "hoppy lager." So the brewing method is lagering, but it's decidedly not a lager in taste. Personally I'd call it an American Pale Ale)

Ta, will try if I see them. Don't mind lager either.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Ta, will try if I see them. Don't mind lager either.
You're welcome. :)
I can't really say much about lagers, I'm not really a fan. M&S and Sainsburys sell a decent (allegedly!) own label AF Czech lager, brewed for them by Starpramen.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
In collaboration with Buxton Brewery (UK) they produced my favourite alcoholic beer, a stout called Yellow Belly. It was about £10 a bottle (330ml) and was 11% ABV. They brewed it once a year and sold it through craft beer shops on a very limited basis. I was forced to drive around said shops buying up what I could!

Mate..maaaaaate...

I drank a Yellow Belly Sundae less than two weeks ago.
Cracking beer. And Buxton is a cracking brewery.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Who knew a beer could taste like peanut butter?!

I've had a few peanut butter beers actually. Belching Beaver (US) do a decent one. Bad Shepherd here in Oz have one too. I've had waaaaaay weirder ones ..lol

Ants was one..
Ambergris another...

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I do think the experimentation is getting a bit silly. I wouldn't want a return to the days of samey boring beers but there comes a point when you have to ask (or I do) Is this actually a beer?

eg a Neapolitan beer I had - tastes of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.