• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Low & No Alcohol Beers

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Any good ones where you live? Is there much of a range available locally or online? Recommendations?

(Low, no, free... all mean no more than 0.5% ABV)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't drink (often) so non alcoholic beer seemed the perfect solution. Only one time did i consume it, next day i had a raging, never again hangover, and i didn't get any pleasure earning the hangover.

My return to iced water was welcome and i haven't strayed since, (except for celebration toasts)

So i am afraid i can't offer much advice but did give you an interesting anecdote

PureX

Veteran Member
When I first quit drinking alcohol back in the early 90s, I used to buy non-alcoholic beer when out with friends, occasionally. Back then, (this was in Chicago) there was a brand called Hoc-Beck (not sure of the spelling) that was pretty good. The rest that I tried were varying degrees of awful.

Rational Agnostic

I don't drink (often) so non alcoholic beer seemed the perfect solution. Only one time did i consume it, next day i had a raging, never again hangover, and i didn't get any pleasure earning the hangover.

My return to iced water was welcome and i haven't strayed since, (except for celebration toasts)

So i am afraid i can't offer much advice but did give you an interesting anecdote

Well, a hangover is caused by alcohol, so your getting sick the next day was apparently coincidental if you didn't have any alcohol.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Well, a hangover is caused by alcohol, so your getting sick the next day was apparently coincidental if you didn't have any alcohol.

So i am told, it didn't make the hangover go away.

Since the incident i have done a little research into why. Ethanol/alcohol can obviously cause hangover but there are other causes impurities and chemicals in the drink and dehydration can have more of an impact than alcohol

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Any good ones where you live? Is there much of a range available locally or online? Recommendations?

Yengling is the oldest US beer. Its a lager, sort of lightweight and smooth. Not very bitter or sour. A lot of beers follow after the Yengling flavor or have a version that is similar, so start with that and compare.

There is not a lot of range, locally in manufacturers; but you can go to high end grocery stores. We have a lot of liquor stores and not many bars. I don't buy case beer but singles at service stations. When I'm not looking for high alcohol% I tend to buy Michelob Ultra, Milwaukee's Best, Yengling and things like that. I only buy a beer a few times per month, and I don't experiment very often. Its expensive, fattening, often interrupts digestion. Its good but comes at a price. If it wasn't so cheap to get a can I'd just buy wine.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm a massive beer fan, and calling any alcohol free beer 'good' is tough, but...

Sobah Non-Alcoholic Beverages

I've also travelled to Scandinavia a couple of times, and found a fairly good selection of Mikeller beer available.

Low Alcohol

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The rest that I tried were varying degrees of awful.

Until quite recently there were few low alcohol beers and they were pretty much universally awful. That's radically changed of late; as well as established breweries producing AF (Alcohol Free) beers there are new breweries that produce only AF beers.

There's some excellent ones out there now, this really good ( :rolleyes: ) blog already has 90+ reviews on it. :cool:
>>>>> Beers Without Fears

137C8667-2F39-449E-8FA4-EC09AB363B15.jpeg

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm a massive beer fan, and calling any alcohol free beer 'good' is tough, but...

Sobah Non-Alcoholic Beverages

I've also travelled to Scandinavia a couple of times, and found a fairly good selection of Mikeller beer available.

Low Alcohol
Massive beer fan here too. When I was told the alcohol had to stop I was mortified. Now I've discovered good AF beers all I need to find now are AF Islay malt whiskies...
Mikkeller are a good one! Weird Weather, Drink'in the Sun, Energibajer...

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I do not drink alcohol or none alcohol beer :) so I do not know :)

If you eat a ripe banana you're consuming alcohol, as much as in a low alcohol beer. o_O

"There are several studies that show ripe bananas contain alcohol (ethanol) – up to 0.5% ABV (alcohol by volume).

One of these studies by researchers at the University of Kaiserslautern also looked at how much alcohol children are exposed to in everyday food and drink, including bananas.

The University of Kaiserslautern study found up to 0.04g of ethanol per 100g in ripe bananas (0.4% ABV). However, it found much higher levels of ethanol in other foods. For example, a brand of bread rolls it looked at contained 1.28% ABV alcohol."

- How much alcohol does a very ripe banana contain? Is it safe for children? - Quora

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
So i am told, it didn't make the hangover go away.

Since the incident i have done a little research into why. Ethanol/alcohol can obviously cause hangover but there are other causes impurities and chemicals in the drink and dehydration can have more of an impact than alcohol

The grief in your head won't have been from the low level of alcohol. Other chemicals are of course to be found in poor quality drinks, good AF beers won't have any - as the listed ingredients will show. The liver is responsible for breaking the alcohol down and the amount in an alcoholic drink is too much for it to deal with quickly - hence the effects caused by this (including a hangover). With a low alcohol beer the alcohol is easily and quickly broken down. You won't get drunk by consuming several glasses of AF beer - the liver can keep on top of the job.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you eat a ripe banana you're consuming alcohol, as much as in a low alcohol beer. o_O

"There are several studies that show ripe bananas contain alcohol (ethanol) – up to 0.5% ABV (alcohol by volume).

One of these studies by researchers at the University of Kaiserslautern also looked at how much alcohol children are exposed to in everyday food and drink, including bananas.

The University of Kaiserslautern study found up to 0.04g of ethanol per 100g in ripe bananas (0.4% ABV). However, it found much higher levels of ethanol in other foods. For example, a brand of bread rolls it looked at contained 1.28% ABV alcohol."

- How much alcohol does a very ripe banana contain? Is it safe for children? - Quora
I only eat yellow banana :)

ChristineM

Premium Member
The grief in your head won't have been from the low level of alcohol. Other chemicals are of course to be found in poor quality drinks, good AF beers won't have any - as the listed ingredients will show. The liver is responsible for breaking the alcohol down and the amount in an alcoholic drink is too much for it to deal with quickly - hence the effects caused by this (including a hangover). With a low alcohol beer the alcohol is easily and quickly broken down. You won't get drunk by consuming several glasses of AF beer - the liver can keep on top of the job.

I most definitely didnt get drunk ;-)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Massive beer fan here too. When I was told the alcohol had to stop I was mortified.

Man, I can only imagine.
I've been somewhat careful with my consumption during lockdown, so I've found having one really good beer is better and cheaper than several crappy beers.

Hard to justify how much a single bottle costs sometimes, but also one of my favourite little habits. And man, there are some cracking beers around once you know where to look.

PS. Ive been to several Mikeller bars in Denmark and Sweden, plus Omnipollo in Sweden. My goodness...I miss travel!!

Last edited: