• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Loved ones in hell - take 2.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If a person's soul is changed through some event in a negative way.
You will be the sum total of who you were at the time of death. A negative event is not going to change who you are, and unless it causes you to turn away from God it should not be a problem.

cataway

The original-language terms (Heb., neʹphesh [נֶפֶשׁ]; Gr., psy·kheʹ [ψυχή]) as used in the Scriptures show “soul” to be a person, an animal, or the life that a person or an animal enjoys.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The original-language terms (Heb., neʹphesh [נֶפֶשׁ]; Gr., psy·kheʹ [ψυχή]) as used in the Scriptures show “soul” to be a person, an animal, or the life that a person or an animal enjoys.
The soul is the person. The soul cannot die because it is not physical. Only physical things die.

Tiberius

You will be the sum total of who you were at the time of death. A negative event is not going to change who you are, and unless it causes you to turn away from God it should not be a problem.

So a person whose soul was damaged at birth and lived a long life, they have to face eternity with a damaged soul, do they?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So a person whose soul was damaged at birth and lived a long life, they have to face eternity with a damaged soul, do they?
No, because a soul cannot be damaged at birth. We are all born good so a soul can only be damaged by the immoral choices people make during their lives. The soul grows and develops throughout our lives so we have plenty of opportunities to make good moral choices and grow in a positive direction. If we do we will be prepared for life in Heaven.

Last edited:

Tiberius

No, because a soul cannot be damaged at birth. We are all born good so a soul can only be damaged by the immoral choices people make during their lives. The soul grows and develops throughout our lives so we have plenty of opportunities to make good moral choices and grow in a positive direction. If we do we will be prepared for life in Heaven.

So a soul can't be damaged at birth, but it can be damaged at some point. How old does a person have to be before their soul is damagable?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So a soul can't be damaged at birth, but it can be damaged at some point. How old does a person have to be before their soul is damagable?
Again, I do not know what you mean by damaged/damageable. A soul cannot be damaged.

A soul acquires good qualities and it acquires bad qualities and it starts doing that as soon as the person is old enough to make independent choices, and that process of choosing continues throughout life. The goal is to acquire more good qualities than bad qualities. I call them spiritual qualities.

John1.12

Free gift
Hi. I deleted my last post regarding this subject because the details were too raw and personal, and while I appreciated the responses, they digressed from the questions.

So, simply, my questions are 1.) If a friend or family member dies and you know they weren't saved, do you still love them and cherish the memories, or do you try to bury it and let go? After all, once in heaven you'll forget anyway. Also, how do you deal with the thought of them suffering in eternal torment even though you know that they deserve it?
I think its obvious. Its very difficult.

John1.12

Free gift
Hi. I deleted my last post regarding this subject because the details were too raw and personal, and while I appreciated the responses, they digressed from the questions.

So, simply, my questions are 1.) If a friend or family member dies and you know they weren't saved, do you still love them and cherish the memories, or do you try to bury it and let go? After all, once in heaven you'll forget anyway. Also, how do you deal with the thought of them suffering in eternal torment even though you know that they deserve it?
There will be parents where they may consider the reality that all their children are in hell .Thats why we warn people.

Tiberius

Again, I do not know what you mean by damaged/damageable. A soul cannot be damaged.

A soul acquires good qualities and it acquires bad qualities and it starts doing that as soon as the person is old enough to make independent choices, and that process of choosing continues throughout life. The goal is to acquire more good qualities than bad qualities. I call them spiritual qualities.

You say a soul cannot be damaged, yet you have also claimed that a soul is capable of changing. I would say that if something is damaged, it is changed. And any change that has a negative effect is damage, right?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You say a soul cannot be damaged, yet you have also claimed that a soul is capable of changing. I would say that if something is damaged, it is changed. And any change that has a negative effect is damage, right?
But a soul cannot be damaged because it is not physical. It can be affected by our thoughts and actions but it can never be damaged or destroyed. If something is damaged it is injured physically, but since the soul is not physical it cannot be damaged.

(Entry 1 of 2) 1 : loss or harm resulting from injury to person, property, or reputation flood damage sustained severe damage to her knee. 2 damages plural : compensation in money imposed by law for loss or injury The judge awarded them $5,000 in damages.
Damage | Definition of Damage by Merriam-Webster

Think of the soul as the immaterial part of a person as opposed to the physical body. The soul is associated with the mind so if you pollute your mind with things that are not good for you then your mind is affected and it has a negative effect upon your soul. Even false beliefs coming into your mind can affect the soul negatively because they lead you away from the truth.

cataway

ezekiel 18:3 “‘As surely as I am alive,’ declares the Sovereign Lord Jehovah, ‘you will not continue to quote this saying in Israel. 4 Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so also the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul who sins is the one who will die.

Tiberius

But a soul cannot be damaged because it is not physical. It can be affected by our thoughts and actions but it can never be damaged or destroyed. If something is damaged it is injured physically, but since the soul is not physical it cannot be damaged.

(Entry 1 of 2) 1 : loss or harm resulting from injury to person, property, or reputation flood damage sustained severe damage to her knee. 2 damages plural : compensation in money imposed by law for loss or injury The judge awarded them $5,000 in damages.
Damage | Definition of Damage by Merriam-Webster

Think of the soul as the immaterial part of a person as opposed to the physical body. The soul is associated with the mind so if you pollute your mind with things that are not good for you then your mind is affected and it has a negative effect upon your soul. Even false beliefs coming into your mind can affect the soul negatively because they lead you away from the truth.

If something can be changed, why can't that change be something we would call damage if that change is negative?