• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Have you ever had a point in time where if you're with someone in a relationship and someone ELSE was made available to you at a point in time that seemed to embody everything that you love and cherish, where at any point in time that you weren't already taken you would be like "heck yes you are perfect, let's get to know one another?"

I had one of those moments tonight. To be clear, I'm a huge fan of redheads, and I like a very particular body structure. As everyone here knows I have a certain set of standards when it comes to beliefs and attitudes.

My girlfriend stayed home tonight while I went to a show for a band called Portugal The Man (never heard of 'em til tonight, was there to see some friends from out of town). I met a girl that was like the perfect incarnation of the immaculate smartypants, sassy redhead of my dreams who enjoyed even the deepest underground things that I enjoy. It could be said that we were MADE for each other (clearly, she's also a lesbian).

But you know what? Beyond the surface feelings of "wow everything about this person resonates with me," I felt absolutely no personal attraction. Yeah, she was hot... breathtakingly hot. But I felt no desire at all to sit closer to her or (most tellingly) to try to sit further away from her. The fact that I wasn't interested in her even though my intellect told me that I should be and that I wasn't AFRAID to be interested in her (because I knew I wasn't) told me a lot about how much I really, truly love my girlfriend.

To folks that think homosexuality is a choice and etc.: how can you explain that away if homosexual love is somehow unnatural? How can it be that someone can love another person of the same sex so much that they would take a bullet for their lover, they wouldn't even be interested in someone they had aforehand thought might be their perfect match?

dust1n

Zindīq
Portugal The Man (never heard of 'em til tonight, was there to see some friends from out of town).

Church Mouth and American Ghetto are great albums.

So is the The Satanic Satanist and the Majestic Majesty double LP. :D

It is possible that the music might have even distracted you from both of the girls in question!

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Church Mouth and American Ghetto are great albums.

So is the The Satanic Satanist and the Majestic Majesty double LP. :D

It is possible that the music might have even distracted you from both of the girls in question!

lol. The band was indeed pretty awesome but I ended up playing pool with my guyfriend from out of town. We were quite a few double whiskeys deep by that time so the band was background noise by then (but it was pretty good background noise!)

Speaking of, I'm STILL a few double whiskeys deep. It's bedtime for this girl :cover:

dust1n

Zindīq
lol. The band was indeed pretty awesome but I ended up playing pool with my guyfriend from out of town. We were quite a few double whiskeys deep by that time so the band was background noise by then (but it was pretty good background noise!)

Speaking of, I'm STILL a few double whiskeys deep. It's bedtime for this girl :cover:

FINE, I'll throw in some more speculation.

Is it perhaps that regardless of how appealing a new partner may be, that this doesn't negate the fact that there are still way too many unknown variables in determining whether that person is 'really' as appealing as it might seem. Also, once you are in a relationship and you are satisfied.. you are just that; content. It's not like you are going to become more content with someone. So why go through the effort of even risking your contentment in the first place? When I was dating and ladies indicated some sort of attraction, I just didn't really care. And why should I? Relationships take a long *** time to become anything worth mentioning; that being said, why start the whole getting-to-know-one-another process all over again, especially if you are satisfied with what you have.

I'm assuming your initial attraction had little to do with these immediate rationalizations and that it was probably somewhat intuitive, no?

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.
Have you ever had a point in time where if you're with someone in a relationship and someone ELSE was made available to you at a point in time that seemed to embody everything that you love and cherish, where at any point in time that you weren't already taken you would be like "heck yes you are perfect, let's get to know one another?"

I had one of those moments tonight. To be clear, I'm a huge fan of redheads, and I like a very particular body structure. As everyone here knows I have a certain set of standards when it comes to beliefs and attitudes.

My girlfriend stayed home tonight while I went to a show for a band called Portugal The Man (never heard of 'em til tonight, was there to see some friends from out of town). I met a girl that was like the perfect incarnation of the immaculate smartypants, sassy redhead of my dreams who enjoyed even the deepest underground things that I enjoy. It could be said that we were MADE for each other (clearly, she's also a lesbian).

But you know what? Beyond the surface feelings of "wow everything about this person resonates with me," I felt absolutely no personal attraction. Yeah, she was hot... breathtakingly hot. But I felt no desire at all to sit closer to her or (most tellingly) to try to sit further away from her. The fact that I wasn't interested in her even though my intellect told me that I should be and that I wasn't AFRAID to be interested in her (because I knew I wasn't) told me a lot about how much I really, truly love my girlfriend.

To folks that think homosexuality is a choice and etc.: how can you explain that away if homosexual love is somehow unnatural? How can it be that someone can love another person of the same sex so much that they would take a bullet for their lover, they wouldn't even be interested in someone they had aforehand thought might be their perfect match?

This makes me smile for some reason. It's like its some little love story told in four paragraphs.

Gloone

Meox Mix said:
Can I just ask why you would want an explanation if you actually want to be with the person you are with?
Is it because you want to move on to someone else?
Or is it because you don’t really want to be gay anymore?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Can I just ask why you would want an explanation if you actually want to be with the person you are with?
Is it because you want to move on to someone else?
Or is it because you don’t really want to be gay anymore?

Oh, I know the answer for myself (it's because I love Alicia).

The post is more for the people who have opinions that homosexual love isn't "really" love, like it's somehow lesser than love between heterosexuals. I've heard people say things like homosexuals don't have "true love" and etc.

This post is for them, it's an example of how they're wrong.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

Do you always complicate things so?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Not the same, I know my girlfriend exists and love is raw experience/qualia so I don't have to justify it; I just have to feel it.

The reason this doesn't work for gods is because yeah, I'll agree that people who say they're experiencing something ARE in fact experiencing something -- but they can't justify that the thing they're attributing it to exists. I can justify the existence of my girlfriend:

wakeup.jpg

Not the same, I know my girlfriend exists and love is raw experience/qualia so I don't have to justify it; I just have to feel it.

The reason this doesn't work for gods is because yeah, I'll agree that people who say they're experiencing something ARE in fact experiencing something -- but they can't justify that the thing they're attributing it to exists. I can justify the existence of my girlfriend:

okay, it seems as though you're unfamiliar with etiquette in debates. you're already pushing the dont-distract-boys-from-the-subject-with-pictures-of-cute-girls rule having an avatar of yourself. but we've all let it slide for what should be obvious reasons. but, i dont not appreciate you using your lover as a straw-woman to make me completely forget how i was going to pretend to argue with you about this.
ugh, you win this time. but the gloves are coming off in the future, and the second you get revved up in an argument i'll be throwing cutie-kitten pictures at you until your hand is permanently stuck over your mouth.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
okay, it seems as though you're unfamiliar with etiquette in debates. you're already pushing the dont-distract-boys-from-the-subject-with-pictures-of-cute-girls rule having an avatar of yourself. but we've all let it slide for what should be obvious reasons. but, i dont not appreciate you using your lover as a straw-woman to make me completely forget how i was going to pretend to argue with you about this.
ugh, you win this time. but the gloves are coming off in the future, and the second you get revved up in an argument i'll be throwing cutie-kitten pictures at you until your hand is permanently stuck over your mouth.

Nnnnnoooooooooooooooo!

I think?

Or maybe that would be awesome...

knitted_kitteh.jpg

Ok, in the general forum under games/jokes etc. I'm now starting a cute picture thread.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Oh, I know the answer for myself (it's because I love Alicia).

The post is more for the people who have opinions that homosexual love isn't "really" love, like it's somehow lesser than love between heterosexuals. I've heard people say things like homosexuals don't have "true love" and etc.

This post is for them, it's an example of how they're wrong.

You give homophobes way too much credit, Meow Mix.

On the other hand, thanks for the tale :)

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Hey, where did ya'll get that picture of the world's ugliest cat? God, is that a kitten's face or a pig's ***-inine buttocks? Yech!!! I've seen cuter hairballs in my dryer vent. I've seen more adorable pusses on a--

Okay, I guess that'll be enough right there.

I'M JUST KIDDING . . . before someone shoots me. So, the cat is cute. But who in hell knitted that horrendous sweater? I've seen fancier fleece on slaughter-house goats. I've seen brighter wools on . . .