• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love your enemies

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No. I don't have enemies.

I still don't have one

When is said "love your enemy" I don't take it to mean "cuddle them".

I avoid potential enemies. Hence I don't have any

Potential enemies?
That would mean it would be possible to have enemies even though you don't have them now?

Love meaning appreciating (can't think of the right word) them as a human being. Compassion for humans "because they are humans" regardless their actions. Some call it unconditional love but for some reason I can't find a good word thats more specific when we consider (if we do) our relationship with other people as humans.

Not affectionate with them. Love has different meanings based on context.

Bird123

Do you believe you can love your enemies?

If so, would it make sense to call the person you love an enemy?

Love your enemies means for example loving (and forgiving) Hitler.

Do you love your enemies?

You are right. I have no enemies. I do my best to Love everyone Unconditionally.

Does that mean a person is weak? In reality, it's quite the opposite.

Unconditional Love always does what is Best for the other. It has never meant giving them everything they want.

For those who hurt me, I work at solving the problem, fixing them, point them toward the light, guide them toward greatness. On the other hand, it's not always easy, however it is the only choice one can make if one is to eliminate the choice of Hate in one. It's the only path to the Higher Level.

In time, everyone will Discover that the price for Hate will always be too high.

WE must learn to Think then act rather than simply reacting to things in our lives. The results will prove to be much better.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Shouldn't we be forgiving as long miracles in the form of change can happen?

Forgiveness is essential for growth and the individual evolving but without underestimating the dangers out there. Therefore, we can not hate what we never experienced to love neither love what we never experienced to hate. Sure, Hitler opened the gates with all the opportunities of shaping a human behavioral condition, but how can I hate someone long gone?

My perceiving is to always decide for love but never blind yourself to suffer from it.

We have so many tragedies happening globally. If there would have been more love instead of suppression assuming some acts would've never taken place.

Evil exists globally. It's the same reality defined differently. There is no country without sexual abuse, mental abuse, emotional abuse, substance abuse, alcohol abuse, and the list goes on.

I believe that love is the key to strength and freedom. Love enables many things. Love is a universal key we all notice, see, experience, talk about or live by. Love is a higher consciousness and the level of emotional as well as mental freedom.

So why not love instead of hate?

Hate fuels the fire where love extinguished it away.

We can either decide to suffer from hate or advance with love.”

Thank you for reading this entirely.

I am here to serve your soul.”

With Love
Lynette

Last edited:

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Yes, after you have gotten safety from their attacks, and then in a situation that is safe for you, then it is possible, though very difficult without insight or aid. (actually difficult even with insight and techniques to help (but possible) , when I tried before faith) But first, you have to forgive them! (a first step, and that also requires safety)
Indeed it ends that! The enemy (for real, for years) became a friend. It was twilight zone at first, and took a while to get used to, but now I'd be delighted to see him again. It was....almost unbelievable. If it had not happened for me, I would have trouble believing it.
Actually, to me an 'enemy' is someone that directly attacks oneself or someone close to oneself, not just an evil historical figure. To qualify, I'd have had to had relatives that were his victims.
Yes, but 'love' means not merely forgiving, but is something that tends to grow over time. It's not like I love them without even knowing them, but I can love them to the extent I can get to know them, and I can try to get to know people, those that are willing to respond to friendly overtures. It's not only those who do wrongs against us personally we should love, but simply each person we get to know. (also, everyone has done wrongs, so an 'enemy' is only when you were on the receiving end, in my view, but anyone else could qualify for someone) 'Grace' means among other things to forgive and love someone that hasn't earned it fully. But your heart wants to have grace. Best is to get the help anyone can have that turns to the redeemer Christ not in a tradition or a grew-up in a church way, but instead for real.

Audie

Veteran Member
Apparently Christians think god is love.

To say one "loves" everyone, unconditionally,
is meaningless.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

I have no enemies.

There are people who I would much prefer not to spend time with, for any number of reasons. I do not "love" them, but as politely as I may, I make sure to avoid social contact -- and this is at least a way of respecting they're right to be who they are, without reference to my particular antipathy.

I refuse to be drawn into discussions about hating Hitler or not. He's dead. History makes an extremely good case that he did terrible things -- things that the world should (and mostly does) regret.

On the other hand, I cannot "love" Donald J. Trump -- I think he is something in the same mold, to be honest. He most assuredly has instincts that in my mind are antithetical to the office he holds, and to the Constitution he swore solemnly to uphold and defend. I would very much like to see him voted out of office. But that's because I think in the long run it would be very much better for the nation -- and to my nation, its next-door neighbour.

I think that some of the notions that the Bible tells us Jesus promoted are silly. I think it is wrong to "turn the other cheek," however. And the meek will not inherit the earth -- the strong will take what little the meek have left, even when they don't need it and it wouldn't increase their wealth by a miniscule percentage. It's what they do. I think that Jesus's suggestion to "take no thought for the morrow" is plain dumb. Open a savings account as soon as you can, and start putting something in it every single payday.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes, after you have gotten safety from their attacks, and then in a situation that is safe for you, then it is possible, though very difficult without insight or aid. (actually difficult even with insight and techniques to help (but possible) , when I tried before faith) But first, you have to forgive them! (a first step, and that also requires safety)

Indeed it ends that! The enemy (for real, for years) became a friend. It was twilight zone at first, and took a while to get used to, but now I'd be delighted to see him again. It was....almost unbelievable. If it had not happened for me, I would have trouble believing it.

Actually, to me an 'enemy' is someone that directly attacks oneself or someone close to oneself, not just an evil historical figure. To qualify, I'd have had to had relatives that were his victims.

Yes, but 'love' means not merely forgiving, but is something that tends to grow over time. It's not like I love them without even knowing them, but I can love them to the extent I can get to know them, and I can try to get to know people, those that are willing to respond to friendly overtures. It's not only those who do wrongs against us personally we should love, but simply each person we get to know. (also, everyone has done wrongs, so an 'enemy' is only when you were on the receiving end, in my view, but anyone else could qualify for someone) 'Grace' means among other things to forgive and love someone that hasn't earned it fully. But your heart wants to have grace. Best is to get the help anyone can have that turns to the redeemer Christ not in a tradition or a grew-up in a church way, but instead for real.

There's nothing more to really say. Nice.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Apparently Christians think god is love.

To say one "loves" everyone, unconditionally,
is meaningless.
Not sure what 'unconditionally' means for you there, but in my view we humans only love well to the extent we sense or know someone as the particular person they are and then value them, uniquely, which is sorta the opposite of 'unconditional' in one sense, but on the other had it is accepting/valuing someone as being the particular unique person they are in ideal form. Not just a generic love, but more unique to each one. About "God is love", it makes more sense when read in full context, and that's in the 1rst letter of John in the common bible (having already read the Gospel of John first), if one wants to learn how it is meant (the letter could be read in 15 or 20 minutes even at a slower, contemplative pace; if one has already read the Gospel of John first).

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Not sure what 'unconditionally' means for you there, but in my view we humans only love well to the extent we sense or know someone as the particular person they are and then value them, uniquely, which is sorta the opposite of 'unconditional' in one sense, but on the other had it is accepting/valuing someone as being the particular unique person they are in ideal form. Not just a generic love, but more unique to each one. About "God is love", it makes more sense when read in full context, and that's in the 1rst letter of John in the common bible, if one wants to learn how it is meant (the letter could be read in 15 or 20 minutes even at a slower, contemplative pace).
Thanks, i will think about that later.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
If enemies don't get exactly what they deserve then they will never change.
So there is that kind of love. It's justified hate as I see it. But ya gotta know the reasons. It's not blind hate.

I have never seen anyone, Christians especially, get all love on a people that do grievous things. There are degrees of intent and action where nobody loves back though.

I have seen those that able change, so I think Mercy is a real thing.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You are right. I have no enemies. I do my best to Love everyone Unconditionally.

Does that mean a person is weak? In reality, it's quite the opposite.

Unconditional Love always does what is Best for the other. It has never meant giving them everything they want.

For those who hurt me, I work at solving the problem, fixing them, point them toward the light, guide them toward greatness. On the other hand, it's not always easy, however it is the only choice one can make if one is to eliminate the choice of Hate in one. It's the only path to the Higher Level.

In time, everyone will Discover that the price for Hate will always be too high.

WE must learn to Think then act rather than simply reacting to things in our lives. The results will prove to be much better.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

I hope so. Holding grudges on people to the point of calling them enemies isn't one that leads to peace both for the "enemy" that did the wrong and may not want to reconcile their actions and the person receiving the hurt who does not want to forgive the other person's actions.

A lot of it is personal ties that makes it hard to forgive. But then, it's one thing to find it hard to forgive and it's another to choose not to do so.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
i never said it did. but think of it like a baby.. if a baby bit you, would you hate it? if it continued to bite you, to attack you, would you realize that it doesn't understand? or would you simply see it as out to get you personally, and view it as an enemy?

again, it doesn't have to do with physiology. it's psychological

Yeah. Many people (at least on this thread) are of the latter. I think to many it would depend on the age (i.e. infant), nature of the "crime" (i.e. child abuse vs theft), and how society/majority defines it (priest/molester compared to parent/molesters; weirdly enough, the two are viewed different).

I agree. Maybe people do hate themselves and project it on others (reflecting on what you said). It should work the same way with an adult, do you think?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
No. I don't have enemies.

When is said "love your enemy" I don't take it to mean "cuddle them".

Love meaning appreciating (can't think of the right word) them as a human being. Compassion for humans "because they are humans" regardless their actions. Some call it unconditional love but for some reason I can't find a good word thats more specific when we consider (if we do) our relationship with other people as humans.
When I am at the zoo, I appreciate 'wild' tigers. When I allow myself inside, I'm sure my appreciation goes down a notch (or 2).

Same with humans. Contemplating how miraculous a human being is, of course I appreciate all. Some actions, though, I don't appreciate (if I can't see the bigger picture).

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Yes. I understand what you mean

If I see the bigger picture, I can understand why some people do what they do. Together with the concept of karma it gets even easier to understand them.

With mutual understanding Love can develop. With one sided Love and respect, you better keep a distance. Worst case scenario "you are not there anymore, to Love them".

Hence, you need to Love yourself first, before you can Love all.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Blame the action not the object of it.

i.e. I hate killing (not the object used to do it) but I don't hate the killer. That's the difference.

The action is caused.

I dont hate either but i certainly cannot love someone who has done me or mine harm

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yeah. Many people (at least on this thread) are of the latter. I think to many it would depend on the age (i.e. infant), nature of the "crime" (i.e. child abuse vs theft), and how society/majority defines it (priest/molester compared to parent/molesters; weirdly enough, the two are viewed different).

I agree. Maybe people do hate themselves and project it on others (reflecting on what you said). It should work the same way with an adult, do you think?

everyone wants love and possibly to give love. not everyone knows how to have healthy relationships, physiological age is not necessarily psychological age.

Last edited: