• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love thy Neighbour… or not: Christians, but not Atheists, Show High In-Group Favoritism

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Christians on average appear less tolerant of atheists than atheists are of Christians, why is this?
The moment you believe "my way is the highway (for all others too)" judgmental, belittling arrogance has rooted in your mind, which is kind of incurable (as per definition of arrogance: which implies 'I know best already', even what is best for others, hence hard to reverse).

Arrogance = lack of Love, compassion, empathy

Hence, naturally most Christians, are less tolerant and even more judgmental (hostile thoughts/beliefs) than those who respect (do not belittle) others their views, opinions, beliefs. Proven by evangelizing and proselytizing they do

Understandably Jesus teaches (Christians) 'thou shall not judge'. But judging others is a trap all humans seem to have problems with to abstain from: seems a human challenge to overcome this

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Where is this war atheists have on? Where are they demanding signs and symbols and such being taken down?
It's happened. Seems to be a lot of that going around lately from various groups. Let's tear down all the statues of imperfect people too! ( Because apparently we are perfect now) :rolleyes:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's because a large amount of Christians believe that not accepting Christ makes you an intense level of evil while atheists believe religion has no effect on moral standing. I believe the truth is somewhat between the two.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's happened. Seems to be a lot of that going around lately from various groups.
But no sources? Don't you want to be embarrassed in a few months when we still see a flood of Christmas paraphernalia?
And, do remember, Christians have **** on the day more than anyone by going along with it being a day of destructive spending and rampant materialism. And, yes, they are the ones who **** on it because it's supposed to be about the birth kf their savior who told them "be not of this world." But, in reality, they are so insecure they think xmas is taking Christ out of Christmas while they sink themselves into debt.
That is your "war on Christmas.":rolleyes:
Let's tear down all the statues of imperfect people too! ( Because apparently we are perfect now) :rolleyes:
Gotta change the goal posts to find statues of people who didn't want to be a statue or let the Civil War be glorified in anyway I see. Because the "war on Christmas" is a fanstasy, it is a myth, it is no more real than the minotaur in the Labyrinth.
That issue isn't even religious.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
But no sources? Don't you want to be embarrassed in a few months when we still see a flood of Christmas paraphernalia?
Don't know what this has to do with the topic. Are you trying to deny that various Christmas displays have been opposed by secular groups? Do I really have to find old news stories or do you have Google?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
And, do remember, Christians have **** on the day more than anyone by going along with it being a day of destructive spending and rampant materialism. And, yes, they are the ones who **** on it because it's supposed to be about the birth kf their savior who told them "be not of this world." But, in reality, they are so insecure they think xmas is taking Christ out of Christmas while they sink themselves into debt.
Well that's your opinion. Shrug. I don't think we can out give God, but I don't recommend going in debt. Of course it's not just Christians who can be poor stewards of money. There are lots of Christian ministries promoting wise money management, BTW.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Don't know what this has to do with the topic. Are you trying to deny that various Christmas displays have been opposed by secular groups? Do I really have to find old news stories or do you have Google?
I am indeed denying there is a war on Christmas, and I am denying there are more than a few isolated incidents.
This November you'll still see Christmas junk that specifically says Christmas.
Well that's your opinion. Shrug. I don't think we can out give God, but I don't recommend going in debt. Of course it's not just Christians who can be poor stewards of money. There are lots of Christian ministries promoting wise money management, BTW.
It still stands that Christians are partaking of it. And it is not an opinion. Jesus said be not of this world. The x in Xmas is a traditional abbreviation for Christ. But Christians are helping to pervert their holiday by making it about wanton consumption.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Christians on average appear less tolerant of atheists than atheists are of Christians, why is this?
Christians have The Truth, & see atheists as not accepting this.
Atheists don't have The Truth, & see Christians as also not having it.
So we're less different.

BTW, this intolerance towards atheists, & towards some
non-Christians can cause major troubles. In court, it's the
default to swear to tell the truth "so help me God".
Requesting a secular oath is effectively announcing to
judge & jury that they're likely heathen. We're less likely
to be trusted, & might even be actively disliked for not
sharing their religion.

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I am indeed denying there is a war on Christmas, and I am denying there are more than a few isolated incidents.
This November you'll still see Christmas junk that specifically says Christmas.

It still stands that Christians are partaking of it. And it is not an opinion. Jesus said be not of this world. The x in Xmas is a traditional abbreviation for Christ. But Christians are helping to pervert their holiday by making it about wanton consumption.
Lol, ok, then... apparently buying Christmas presents is evil. I must have missed that verse, can you point it out?

And of course you will see stuff that says Christmas and someone will whine about it like every other year.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Lol, ok, then... apparently buying Christmas presents is evil. I must have missed that verse, can you point it out?

And of course you will see stuff that says Christmas and someone will whine about it like every other year.
Apparently you missed the "to excess" I was stressing.
Except it's not really a big thing. Sure, there are a few Scrooges, but the mythical "War on Christmas" is just as fake and made up as Little Shop of Horrors.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Apparently you missed the "to excess" I was stressing.
Well maybe this will be the year that we sing "Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz." Instead of hearing a sermon about helping those less fortunate, and to remember what Christmas is really about, not the materialism, but the Savior.
But I'm guessing not.

InChrist

Free4ever
I think a lot of Christians love atheists, like Jesus loves atheists because, after all, atheists are people like anyone else. Jesus came to earth to save people, to save those who are lost. Atheists are no different than any other lost sinner. Lots of preachers or church members may be as lost as an atheist, maybe even more so if they are hypocrites using and abusing the name of Christ.
I’m glad that God looks at the individual and works in each life drawing the person by His love. I was lost, but was found by Jesus’s love
... just like John Newton who wrote Amazing Grace.

Justanatheist

Christians have The Truth, & see atheists as not accepting this.
Atheists don't have The Truth, & see Christians as also not having
it. So we're less different.

BTW, this intolerance towards atheists, & towards some
non-Christians can cause major troubles. In court, it's the
default to swear to tell the truth "so help me God".
Requesting a secular oath is effectively announcing to
judge & jury that they're likely heathen. We're less likely
to be trusted, & might even be actively disliked for not
sharing their religion.
It is an interesting point about swearing on the Bible, I think this is anachronism from an age when people really believed that lying to their god would harm their immortal soul, it would be interesting to know the number of people who swore on the bible or other religious book, but then were shown to be lying!

Justanatheist

Well maybe this will be the year that we sing "Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz." Instead of hearing a sermon about helping those less fortunate, and to remember what Christmas is really about, not the materialism, but the Savior.
But I'm guessing not.
Interesting, you see I can get behind the basic message of a Jesus Christ figure without ever having to believe he existed and certainly not that he was the son of a god, but you appear to suggest that I have to accept he was the saviour, isn't peace and goodwill to all men enough for you?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is an interesting point about swearing on the Bible, I think this is anachronism from an age when people really believed that lying to their god would harm their immortal soul, it would be interesting to know the number of people who swore on the bible or other religious book, but then were shown to be lying!
I've never found that Christians or other religious folk
are more honest than non-believers. But this is very
interesting...
We're about as honest as they are, & we're not under
any threat of damnation. But as I understand it from
many Christians, all they need for entry into Heaven is
belief in God & Jesus. Whatever they do on Earth is
irrelevant, ie, good works won't get you in.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Interesting, you see I can get behind the basic message of a Jesus Christ figure without ever having to believe he existed and certainly not that he was the son of a god, but you appear to suggest that I have to accept he was the saviour, isn't peace and goodwill to all men enough for you?
That's Christmas without any real message. Jesus invaded planet earth, which was the start of a war between good and evil.
Without the cross, Christmas is just fuzzy feelings.
You know when you say Merry Christmas, it actually means "Merry death sacrifice"?

Maesse", is an early English phrase that means "Mass of Christ."

Mass" in religious usage means a "death sacrifice."
Some Protestants take great offense to this, but I think they're missing the point, without the sacrifice Christ's birthday is just a nice holiday. The cross and Resurrection is where the power is.

Justanatheist

That's Christmas without any real message. Jesus invaded planet earth, which was the start of a war between good and evil.
Without the cross, Christmas is just fuzzy feelings.
You know when you say Merry Christmas, it actually means "Merry death sacrifice"?

Maesse", is an early English phrase that means "Mass of Christ."

Mass" in religious usage means a "death sacrifice."
Some Protestants take great offense to this, but I think they're missing the point, without the sacrifice Christ's birthday is just a nice holiday. The cross and Resurrection is where the power is.
So it is not enough for you that we celebrate x-mas it has to be for reasons you do?